Alfine 8 & Nexus 7/8 hub gear service - advice needed

DTFkuhneye

I've watched some videos but I'm struggling to figure out the names and sizes of some of the tools required.

Hub oil kit example:

& grease for bearings example:

Small flat screwdriver & cassette tool for disc brake rotor easy enough.

There are 2 tools used that I can't figure out:

Big round thing & an odd looking spanner that's used on both sides with a 17 spanner in one video I watched. Can anyone tell me the names of these tools and sizes needed?

I have 2 hub gears to service a Nexus c6001-8 roller brake version & Alfine s7001-8 disc brake version.

Also question: I've read that people use marine grease and others lithium grease in place of Shimano grease on the bearings after the oil bath. From what I've also read marine grease is no good for bearings as it has small bits of copper and possibly other things that grind down bearings. Any advice here as I ride in a lot of rain and dirt and salt etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-30-58-525_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-30-58-525_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 502
  • Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-34-17-474_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-34-17-474_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 427
  • Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-35-22-477_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-11-35-22-477_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 267
  • Screenshot_2020-05-13-12-25-08-892_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-05-13-12-25-08-892_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
There are 2 tools used that I can't figure out:

Big round thing & an odd looking spanner that's used on both sides with a 17 spanner in one video I watched. Can anyone tell me the names of these tools and sizes needed?

I assume the big round thing is the Shimano TL-AF10. I assume also the odd looking spanner is a cone wrench. I'm not sure of the size; it is probably a 15mm. Get two Park Tool DCW-4, so you can do both front and rear wheels.

I've read that people use marine grease and others lithium grease in place of Shimano grease on the bearings after the oil bath. From what I've also read marine grease is no good for bearings as it has small bits of copper and possibly other things that grind down bearings. Any advice here as I ride in a lot of rain and dirt and salt etc.

Lubricant...be it chain lube or grease...is one of those things that there seems to be no consensus on. As for marine grease not being good for bearings, usually they mean automotive or machine bearings which are under high loads and temperatures. Bicycle bearings are not nearly so stressed, so I would not worry about it.

Thank you very much Nova Haibike.

I'm in the process of ordering the 2 tools you mentioned & Internal Hub Maintenance Oil Kit.

Can anyone add to this thread any advice and guidance about servicing these hub gears?

Also: advice on cone adjusting after servicing? Is this complicated or straight forward?

Last edited:
Back