After a ridiculous amount of thought I'm going to start my Kona Hoss BBSHD build

Headdamage

Region
Canada
I sold my A2B Metro ebike last fall due to no longer needing it for commuting. However, I miss it and I want something to explore trails and old forestry roads west of Calgary. The A2B was a direct drive 500w rear hub motor, 36v 13ah battery, and had 20" wheels with a frustratingly difficult to source tire size hence I did not find it to be suitable for off road use. It was a great commuter bike though and I would have rebuilt the battery and kept it if that was what I still needed.

Today I ordered a 68mm BBSHD and 48v 21ah battery to install on my 2007 Kona Hoss 22" frame. Total cost (less bike which I bought new in 2007 for about $900 CAN) approximately $1500 CAN.

I'm going this way because I think I will end up with a better bike than I could otherwise afford. Anything I've looked at in the way of production emtb bikes that are close to this price seem questionable from a strength/durability view given that I'm 320lbs and I know what I've broken in the past on lesser bikes than my Hoss.

I'll post something on it once it is together. I suspect that I may need to upgrade the rear hub and cassette at some point but I'll see how the stock units do for now.

oh the places you will go, that 1,000wh battery will take you far, I understand some of the valley scenery in my favorite western Open Range was filmed west of Calgary. Your plan is sound, converting a bike that already works builds on good bones. You may want to consider also replacing the stock Bafang chainring with a narrow wide one to prevent chain derailments and get an ebike rated chain as the BBSHD puts a lot of torque through the drive train.

I was considering ordering in a Bling Ring or similar but I think I need to wait and see how it all lines up on the Hoss before ordering so that I get the best offset/alinement for the chain.

I was considering ordering in a Bling Ring or similar but I think I need to wait and see how it all lines up on the Hoss before ordering so that I get the best offset/alinement for the chain.
Just get it, they make them for that specific reason and might as well get a jump on the game.

I sold my A2B Metro ebike last fall due to no longer needing it for commuting. However, I miss it and I want something to explore trails and old forestry roads west of Calgary. The A2B was a direct drive 500w rear hub motor, 36v 13ah battery, and had 20" wheels with a frustratingly difficult to source tire size hence I did not find it to be suitable for off road use. It was a great commuter bike though and I would have rebuilt the battery and kept it if that was what I still needed.

Today I ordered a 68mm BBSHD and 48v 21ah battery to install on my 2007 Kona Hoss 22" frame. Total cost (less bike which I bought new in 2007 for about $900 CAN) approximately $1500 CAN.

I'm going this way because I think I will end up with a better bike than I could otherwise afford. Anything I've looked at in the way of production emtb bikes that are close to this price seem questionable from a strength/durability view given that I'm 320lbs and I know what I've broken in the past on lesser bikes than my Hoss.

I'll post something on it once it is together. I suspect that I may need to upgrade the rear hub and cassette at some point but I'll see how the stock units do for now.
Headshock
Whoa, Install the unit and then evaluate what you have and if it runs as you like it, because of all the variables:
1 Your preferences
2 Sprockets actually used could be just a few ( see 1 )
3 Chain length fit and it's side to side 'flexibility ' during your typical ride , how much you run " throttle " only, and 'gear changes'
Have you researched the detail dimensions of the drive and measured your bicycle as a fit check?
Mike

Last edited:
Yes I've measured the bike and found one other person that has fitted a BBS02 to the same bike so I think that should be good. I also have another back up bike that I could use it on though that one is not as suitable for rough trails.

Waiting for the BBSHD kit to arrive...

IMG_20210215_203709_834.jpg

Welcome to EBR. There are a few other Calgary and area members.
Good luck on the build - I have a buddy in Bowness who's considering converting one of his Cannondales the same way.

Sounds good - I will let him know.
Varsity or Silver Springs?

I'm up in Huntington Hills so I often ride through those areas on my way to visit him from time to time on my Giant Fathom.
Not for the last few weeks for some reason...but maybe even tomorrow as the weather looks doable.

It is just about all together and I've test run it on a stand in the basement. Everything seems good to go. Just waiting for the bag to carry the battery then I can take it for a spin and get some photos of it.

Well, there you go!
This week should provide plenty of opportunities, albeit a bit messy for a few days until the streets finish melting.
Windy of course, but downwind is a breeze. ;)

Feb28_YYC.JPG

Just took the E-Hoss out for the first ride and it is a hoot! No problem with the steepest paved hills around here while it can also go nice and slow around foot traffic but can still give it the beans when the cost is clear.

I've fitted 26x3.0 tires to give it a bit more footprint and a 11-46T rear cassette with the 42T Bling Ring up front. The battery set up looks a bit mickey mouse but it works and gets me 21ah for half the price of any other options that where handy at the time. The rear fender is from my old A2B Metro and I've also added a stem extender to give my back a brake. Went through some puddles and snow patches today and the fenders seem to work well enough.

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_161329_414.jpg
    IMG_20210308_161329_414.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 602
I've been wondering why my voltage graph on the 500c display never showed a full charge even though the numerical readout was showing 54v. Turns out the BBSHD was shipped with 52v firmware on it, flashed it with the 48v firmware and now the display reads correctly.

The hill climbing ability of the BBSHD + 42T bling ring + 11-46T cassette is fantastic. The bike will climb hills (without peddling) that I can't manage on my own without getting of and walking though I find I tend to peddle anyway and do get a decent workout as a result.

Back