adding a throttle to a bafang m600

guint

i’ve just purchased a voltbike enduro 2020 i would like to upgrade the controller and add a throttle u would think this would be straight forward for a bike shop ha not the caseif it’s not a bosch or yamaha they turn there nose at u there’s a few bikes running a throttle on this motor. the luna x1 runs a 2000w ludicrous controller with throttle
i would have loved that bike but with exchange duty and taxes she’s 7k canadian so i got a 3000 dollar voltbike thinking i could just upgrade
basically what i need is a hot rod shop for ebikes
as i’m assuming there will be special tools involved soldering etc. thoughts i live in kelowna bc

Good luck. Hopefully throttle isn't disabled and you can just plug it in. Otherwise the M600 is pretty locked down. I don't even think you can program speed limit (I couldn't on my X1).

I believe the ludi controller is the same controller shunted to double the current with enhanced potting to handle the extra heat. It won't be anything like ludicrous on the BBSHD or Ultra. A lot of X1 users seem underwhelmed by ludi on the X1 but that may just be due the gearing of the bike.

I don't believe there are any aftermarket controllers for the M600 although you might be able to rig it with a phaserunner, not sure.

Good luck. Hopefully throttle isn't disabled and you can just plug it in. Otherwise the M600 is pretty locked down. I don't even think you can program speed limit (I couldn't on my X1).

I believe the ludi controller is the same controller shunted to double the current with enhanced potting to handle the extra heat. It won't be anything like ludicrous on the BBSHD or Ultra. A lot of X1 users seem underwhelmed by ludi on the X1 but that may just be due the gearing of the bike.

I don't believe there are any aftermarket controllers for the M600 although you might be able to rig it with a phaserunner, not sure.
oh well i’m new to ebike world i thought upgrading would just be money dam so we’re does your throttle “ plug in on your x1 didn’t realize it could be locked out 😞 into your controller?

Contact Voltbike, their new 2021 model comes with a thumb throttle. I suspect that they can upgrade your 2020 version.

I am considering getting the Voltbike Enduro as it is on sale now. Any comment on how loud the latest metal geared motor is ? I read everywhere that it is intensively loud. Also as there is no brake cut off for the motor any comment on how this feels while riding the bike, how long does the motor keep pushing when you need to brake in an emergency stop ?

I am considering getting the Voltbike Enduro as it is on sale now. Any comment on how loud the latest metal geared motor is ? I read everywhere that it is intensively loud. Also as there is no brake cut off for the motor any comment on how this feels while riding the bike, how long does the motor keep pushing when you need to brake in an emergency stop ?
That's a nice bike ! . Wish I would have seen that before I bought my Juggernaut .

Well I took the plunge and got the Voltbike Enduro, two in fact - one for my wife and one for me. Surprised at the giant box it came in, bigger than most EBike boxes as it ships with both wheels in place. Due to the serious cold weather we have only done a bit of riding but we are impressed so far. I requested that Voltbike fit throttles to our bikes which they did at no extra cost. The bike seems very well built, solid with no rattles etc. The motor controller is real fast to react, both to power up or cut the motor when you stop peddling. It does not have brake motor cut-off but I have not noticed any need for it as the controller shuts down the motor so quickly. I swapped out the 8 speed freehub cassette for an 11-40T version which really adds low gear power for those super steep climbs. The motor hums quite audibly, especially when you are riding uphill on pavement, much more so than my BBSHD homebuilt road bike. However when you are zipping through the bush it is not really bothersome. The torque sensor applies power so smoothly that you can almost believe you are doing the work all by yourself. So far so good !

Attachments

• 20210128_153141.jpg
    20210128_153141.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 335
Well I took the plunge and got the Voltbike Enduro, two in fact - one for my wife and one for me. Surprised at the giant box it came in, bigger than most EBike boxes as it ships with both wheels in place. Due to the serious cold weather we have only done a bit of riding but we are impressed so far. I requested that Voltbike fit throttles to our bikes which they did at no extra cost. The bike seems very well built, solid with no rattles etc. The motor controller is real fast to react, both to power up or cut the motor when you stop peddling. It does not have brake motor cut-off but I have not noticed any need for it as the controller shuts down the motor so quickly. I swapped out the 8 speed freehub cassette for an 11-40T version which really adds low gear power for those super steep climbs. The motor hums quite audibly, especially when you are riding uphill on pavement, much more so than my BBSHD homebuilt road bike. However when you are zipping through the bush it is not really bothersome. The torque sensor applies power so smoothly that you can almost believe you are doing the work all by yourself. So far so good !
Looking at your picture, one suggestion if I may. The external speed sensor is located where a dropped chain could create a mess. It wouldn't take much to move it to the same place on the other side, where it would be much safer.....

i’ve just purchased a voltbike enduro 2020 i would like to upgrade the controller and add a throttle u would think this would be straight forward for a bike shop ha not the caseif it’s not a bosch or yamaha they turn there nose at u there’s a few bikes running a throttle on this motor. the luna x1 runs a 2000w ludicrous controller with throttle
i would have loved that bike but with exchange duty and taxes she’s 7k canadian so i got a 3000 dollar voltbike thinking i could just upgrade
basically what i need is a hot rod shop for ebikes
as i’m assuming there will be special tools involved soldering etc. thoughts i live in kelowna bc
You should be able to simply plug in the throttle, mine came with it. Changing the cassette to an 11-40T is cheap and the gearing advantage gives a lot more hill climbing power

Looking at your picture, one suggestion if I may. The external speed sensor is located where a dropped chain could create a mess. It wouldn't take much to move it to the same place on the other side, where it would be much safer.....
Great idea ! It is bolted to the frame but I may be able to rig a mount for it

Many of them are just fastened with good sturdy tie wraps - 2 (or more) of them for security!

Moving the cadence sensor might be an issue. Looks like you have the threaded insert for the "bolt on style sensor. If you are handy you could fairly easily make a separate mount on the opposite chainstay. Bad design to have it on the drive side, what could go wrong there?

Back