Adding a second battery to a Nevo3

DiggyGun

Region
United Kingdom
City
Buckinghamshire
Hi all

I have a Nevo3 GT Vario GX which has the single 625wh battery

I would like to add a second battery to it, similar to the dual battery option offered by R&M. But they don’t do this as an aftermarket option, not even selling any of the required parts.

It is easy enough to get the cable loom, battery and parts as Bosch sell these. However, as R&M will not sell the alternate rack to store the second battery, does anyone know where these can be obtained from?

7C78A29A-532C-4633-8468-7477FAB0AA2B.jpeg

I don't want to discourage you Diggy but given the OEM nature of Bosch E-Bike solutions, you wouldn't be I think able to do such a modification. What can you do? Find if you can order a spare 625 Wh battery from Bosch E-Bike (or from R&M), and carry it in a strong pannier. You would need to get a spare battery in the first place, and even disregarding the high cost, nothing is easy nowadays.

@Stefan Mikes
Having spoken to the LBS again, they have a new 500Wh power tube battery that was ordered by a customer but never taken by them, that they can let me have at a good price.

I will properly do that rather than mess about with the electrical system. That way;
- it will be cheaper
- it will be easier
- I can carry the spare in one of my panniers

@Stefan Mikes
Having spoken to the LBS again, they have a new 500Wh power tube battery that was ordered by a customer but never taken by them, that they can let me have at a good price.

I will properly do that rather than mess about with the electrical system. That way;
- it will be cheaper
- it will be easier
- I can carry the spare in one of my panniers
Make sure the 500 Wh battery would fit your Nevo.

when I call in to learn how to take the rear wheel off to change the inner tube
I don't want to side track the discussion but THIS is my biggest (and likely only) regret about getting a belt drive Vario SC2. I've tried once to carefully remove the wheel as a test in advance of an overnight bike trip (details here) and honestly, I could not get the vario cables to reconnect easily.
In the end, had to get the LBS to fix.... I'm just not confident doing that rear wheel and fortunately I've never had a puncture yet (5000km and counting), but it's definitely limiting my confidence to go further afield (I change standard derailleur rear tyres all the time on my road bike and for my kids' bikes).

I subsequently found this video which makes it look very simple:

And I think what I did wrong was not having the gear shifter in the highest gear position, but I essentially could not re-attach the overdrive cable (would not "stretch" far enough!) and when I eventually managed to somehow wrangle it back on, the shifter was very firm and barely turned. Luckily LBS fixed it all up for me but I've been too scared to give it another go until I asbolutely need to!

The OD cable is generally pretty tight in my experience. A couple tips if you're having trouble:
- make sure the barrel adjusters at the shifter are threaded in completely to increase the effective length of the cables (you'll want to thread them back out again after you get the cable ends in place to gain proper cable tension.)
- make sure the cable housing is fully seated in both barrel adjusters at the shifter

A lot of people will loosen the OD cable end and move it down the cable slightly to add more slack; I don't recommend doing this as it creates a weak point in the cable where it was previously pinched and often results in a cable failure.

Good luck!

make sure the barrel adjusters at the shifter are threaded in completely to increase the effective length of the cables
Thanks @JVBulman - figured you'd be in the know but worries me if someone of your experience is still saying they can be a tight thing to reconnect!
regarding your comment above about keeping the barrel adjusters "threaded in completely" - is this different from the guidance in the video above (around the 20-22 second mark) where they're talking about loosening them off to add additional slackness into the cable?

Thanks @JVBulman - figured you'd be in the know but worries me if someone of your experience is still saying they can be a tight thing to reconnect!
regarding your comment above about keeping the barrel adjusters "threaded in completely" - is this different from the guidance in the video above (around the 20-22 second mark) where they're talking about loosening them off to add additional slackness into the cable?
Nope, same thing.

The connectors are tight because the system requires a very specific cable length to keep the lines under tension - if you've ever had a cable bind up inside your shifter and it wasn't the result of a total cable failure, it's because the lines were too loose - we get around this out our shop by installing the connectors about 1mm lower than is recommended when replacing the cables and taking up the difference with the barrel adjusters.

Last edited:
500WH Battery needs plastic spacer attached to it to fit 625 holder. Not sure if it is Bosch or R&M part.
Picked the 500wh battery up on Friday. The spacer, which is a Bosch part was fitted by the LBS. The battery cover is a R&M part and was also fitted by the LBS.

I have also ordered a Fehrer battery bag designed for the Bosch powertube battery. It has a Polyester waterproof cover with a neoprene layer inside padding for protection. This can then be strapped to the rear rack and carried as a spare battery.

F93231F9-86F0-4237-8530-78120538ADB9.jpeg

Picked the 500wh battery up on Friday. The spacer, which is a Bosch part was fitted by the LBS. The battery cover is a R&M part and was also fitted by the LBS.

I have also ordered a Fehrer battery bag designed for the Bosch powertube battery. It has a Polyester waterproof cover with a neoprene layer inside padding for protection. This can then be strapped to the rear rack and carried as a spare battery.

View attachment 112971
How was the battery bag? I'm consdering buying the same one but not sure whether the added weight in the back make it uncomfortable to ride.

How was the battery bag? I'm consdering buying the same one but not sure whether the added weight in the back make it uncomfortable to ride.
It’s very good and gives good protection. It’s straps nicely to the rack so no movement. Being on the rack doesn’t alter the balance of the bike.

View attachment 112971
Hi! is this bag suitable for integrated battery ? LIke this ? Is it possible to put in this bag 2 batteries ?

Attachments

• photo_2023-05-25_12-37-25.jpg
    photo_2023-05-25_12-37-25.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 154
Sorry, no idea. I would check with your e-bike dealer.

DG…

The Dealer said it will, so I’ll try it next week when I call in to learn how to take the rear wheel off to change the inner tube.
could you please answer to me , after installation of additional battery , did you do upgrade of firmware ? take a look please .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 19.57.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 19.57.38.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 138
Back