Added rack, trouble getting on/off bike...

I can mount my flat foot frames but not when I try to haul using panniers or rear basket. I bought a step through but The Lovely snatched it.

Getting your knee high and your leg straight out. Unless you do gymnastics or ballet, that's a tough thing to do. Just look sometime and see how much lower your heel is than your crotch when you swing your leg. As you get older and become a senior, it gets harder and harder to get that heel up.

That is why you want a throttle if you have this problem. It is so easy to stand on the peddle give it a little throttle and swing your leg over for mounting. Same with dismounting, it makes it so much easier.

There might be hope... Today I was able to clear the rack, perhaps in a week or two I will be able to clear a rack + a bit of cargo 😊
This might be obvious but i have noticed that went dismounting the bike that after tilting the bike that moving my bottom a couple of inches away from the saddle that it is much easier to get my leg over the rack and cargo. It appears to me that moving away from the saddle effectively makes me higher with respect to the rear rack so it is easier to get my leg over....

Did the shop know there might be an issue here? I guess what I am wondering is regarding the potential for the rack to be installed a little lower, closer to the tire? Or maybe a little further forward?
The LBS did nothing wrong and this is a correct install.

A panier rack accepts its maximum load when it is horizontally flat, the arms fastening to the frame/seatpost are as long as they need to be.

I'm 20 years your junior and solved that problem by getting a step through (or low step) frame. I'm more concerned about comfort and safety than I am about looks or speed. I have nothing to prove to anyone and really enjoy my rack and rack bag.
Agreed. It's amazing how often folks buy things on the pretense of showing it off to others, yet at the cost of their own discomfort, buy hey, at least they look cool :D

The LBS did nothing wrong and this is a correct install.

A panier rack accepts its maximum load when it is horizontally flat, the arms fastening to the frame/seatpost are as long as they need to be.
So you are saying that if there is now 3-4" of clearance from the rack to the tire, that the rack could not be lowered to the point where there might be an inch of tire clearance, in a manner that would maintain the level attitude? If so, you might want to have another look.....

It would appear to me that the lower attach point has several height options available, and that the length of the forward arms could be adjusted to maintain the correct angle of the rack.....

The shop did nothing wrong, granted, but I believe it could have been done just as right (level) while being mounted lower....

So you are saying that if there is now 3-4" of clearance from the rack to the tire, that the rack could not be lowered to the point where there might be an inch of tire clearance, in a manner that would maintain the level attitude?
Not if the rack is a single piece weld with no height adjustment. Racks are sold in different sizes for respective tire diameters.

Unadjustable racks are also the strongest in weight bearing loads.

A pannier rack can't be hacked to any location on a bike. There are distinctive holes for it that warrant a safe and correct install.

Install a few hundred of them and you'll get the idea.

Soyabean, to be as clear as possible, I was referring to the rack in the OP's picture, the one the rest of us are talking about? It's pretty clear to these old eyes that rack is NOT welded, and can easily be installed at multiple different heights - while remaining level.

Look at the picture for a clear idea....

BTW, condescending talk is never a good idea.... ("Install a few hundred of them and you'll get the idea.")

Soyabean, to be as clear as possible, I was referring to the rack in the OP's picture, the one the rest of us are talking about? It's pretty clear to these old eyes that rack is NOT welded, and can easily be installed at multiple different heights
The OP's photo is very clear: the pannier rack accessory is factory fabricated by welds and it is one solid piece. This is all the black parts of the rack, not the chrome horizontal parts which are always adjustable by fasteners. I believe you may be confused with a "rack" that is welded directly to the frame of the bike, which is not common and can only be done by the factory during manufacturing.

Being welded aluminum, its vertical support lengths are non-adjustable cannot be shortened or elongated. There is a hole at the bottom. Some racks do have multiple holes for various heights, this ones does not.

If a frame includes taps for paniers (not all bikes do), it is a designated proper hole tapped in each side of the bike frame for use by a pannier. Many make the mistake in using the taps for fender supports.

Again, install a few hundred of them and you'll get the idea.

There might be hope... Today I was able to clear the rack, perhaps in a week or two I will be able to clear a rack + a bit of cargo 😊
Practice, practice, practice. If you can get your leg over your seat, the rest is gravy once you’re used to it.👍
I have a trunk bag on mine the vast majority of the time now but it took a bit of timing and muscle memory development to get there.

Soyabean, to be as clear as possible, I was referring to the rack in the OP's picture, the one the rest of us are talking about? It's pretty clear to these old eyes that rack is NOT welded, and can easily be installed at multiple different heights - while remaining level.

Look at the picture for a clear idea....

BTW, condescending talk is never a good idea.... ("Install a few hundred of them and you'll get the idea.")
I agree with Soyabean It's just a standard one-piece welded rack with no vertical adjustment. The only adjustments are the sliding stays to the seat post that allow the rack to be leveled. There is only one attachment point on the dropouts of the Vado SL. The lowest non-custom rack is the Specialized fender/rack combo that is used on the EQ model. I'm not a fan of trunk bags because of the hassle mounting/dis-mounting and prefer to use one pannier if I need to carry shopping or more stuff than fits in the frame bag.

Back