A way to have a rear rack that can quickly remove

MrCaspan

I use my bike for commuting to work so its primary function will need to hold a lunch pail and a laptop case so i need to have a rear rack but i also want to use this bike for fun in the off hours. is there any system out there for quick release removable back rack? or if you have other ideas for getting to work without one

Why do you need to remove the rack? just leave the bags off thats what I do. racks are bolted on so they can take a load they are not designed to be removed. depending on the bike some are a real pain and are attached to the fenders.

because sometimes there are elitist on the trail and it would just be nice to have a bike that doesn't look like a commuter bike riding through mountain bike trails. I go to the Hydro cut in Kitchener Ontario all the time. so I would like to convert my bike back to not having the rack if possible. it would just be cool if there was one that you could unscrew really quickly with no tools

topeak makes a few that are "quick release"

I use the M2L works well enough for a 15.6" Lenovo and some food on my 25 mile commute.

For the topeak do you mean the MTX quick release as thats just the rail system for accessories is quick release not the mount it self.

If only I had another 4K for another bike! I have one so its not an option and seat post ones are not strong enough like you said

The previous post of the Topeak M2L looks actually quite good

For the topeak do you mean the MTX quick release as thats just the rail system for accessories is quick release not the mount it self.

The rack is quick release, they have bags that are as well, but my link is to the rack as that is what you where asking about

I believe the M2 or M2L both work for fat tires: the "L" is longer, both work with the MTX QUICKTRACK® 2.0 SYSTEM

I have the M2L on my 4" fat tire and the R1 on my Gravel bike the M2L has 125mm (4.9 inches) between the seat stays:

1649452027633.png

This look perfect and clean.. Do you find it holds well? like does it bounce a lot if it has weight on it?

Last edited:
This look perfect and clean.. Do you find it holds well? like does it bounce a lot if it has weight on it?

no issues with over 2,000 miles on it. I use the Topeak MTX Trunkbag DXP and maybe 25lbs or so, and it is stable, but I am on pretty smooth surfaces, well as smooth as the crappy L.A. roads allow for.

I use my bike for commuting to work so its primary function will need to hold a lunch pail and a laptop case so i need to have a rear rack but i also want to use this bike for fun in the off hours. is there any system out there for quick release removable back rack? or if you have other ideas for getting to work without one
I've had a rack on every bike I've owned since the late 1970's. A rack or combination of front and rear racks adds great utility to any bicycle.

In all that time, I've never heard of or seen, a "quick release rack". Know this: if your rack is not securely bolted to your frame, using nylock nuts or loctited bolts into a factory frame mounted threaded boss, you can bet the farm a loosely fitted rack made for fast removal is going to fast-remove itself at a most inopportune time for you out on the road or trail......

Leave the rack on and invest in some good pannier or office bags designed to carry what you want. And when you arrive at your destination, you remove the entire bag and bring it with you for security's sake. Here are a few examples of what I currently have (not counting the super swanky Brooks pannier bags I have for my Trek Soho, currently off-camera):

100_1997.jpg

My Specialized Fatboy. Analog bike. Surly Nice rear racks mounted on both the front and rear. The rear bags are Ortlieb's Office bag, size large with the QL2 quick release mounting system. The color is their long discontinued Hazel Brown. Kinda wish they'd bring it back. These Ortliebs are still available, but I believe only in a solid black color. Pricey they are, but fully waterproof and these bags are sized to carry laptops.

100_5828.JPG

Haibike Full FatSix. Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa front and rear racks. Ortlieb Office Bags, size Large, discontinued black and gray color. QL2 quick release bag mounting system. Completely waterproof and sized to carry laptops or overnight camping trips. I'm an Ortlieb fanboy and have various bags for a front and rear rack mounting combo. Again, the priciest bags on the market, but the best, imo forged through personal experience. Again, the racks are mounted permanently on the bike and the bags are removed for security and utility.

Interesting. I have never used any bike for commuting, but everyone has had a rack. How do you carry Margaritas or wine?

Won't an elitist turn their nose up to an ebike anyway?
I'm going with the IGo electric Oka it does not look like an ebike unless you look close! and yes they do but they are not banned so i ride them on the trails

I've had a rack on every bike I've owned since the late 1970's. A rack or combination of front and rear racks adds great utility to any bicycle.

In all that time, I've never heard of or seen, a "quick release rack". Know this: if your rack is not securely bolted to your frame, using nylock nuts or loctited bolts into a factory frame mounted threaded boss, you can bet the farm a loosely fitted rack made for fast removal is going to fast-remove itself at a most inopportune time for you out on the road or trail......

Leave the rack on and invest in some good pannier or office bags designed to carry what you want. And when you arrive at your destination, you remove the entire bag and bring it with you for security's sake. Here are a few examples of what I currently have (not counting the super swanky Brooks pannier bags I have for my Trek Soho, currently off-camera):

View attachment 119254
My Specialized Fatboy. Analog bike. Surly Nice rear racks mounted on both the front and rear. The rear bags are Ortlieb's Office bag, size large with the QL2 quick release mounting system. The color is their long discontinued Hazel Brown. Kinda wish they'd bring it back. These Ortliebs are still available, but I believe only in a solid black color. Pricey they are, but fully waterproof and these bags are sized to carry laptops.

View attachment 119255
Haibike Full FatSix. Old Man Mountain Fat Sherpa front and rear racks. Ortlieb Office Bags, size Large, discontinued black and gray color. QL2 quick release bag mounting system. Completely waterproof and sized to carry laptops or overnight camping trips. I'm an Ortlieb fanboy and have various bags for a front and rear rack mounting combo. Again, the priciest bags on the market, but the best, imo forged through personal experience. Again, the racks are mounted permanently on the bike and the bags are removed for security and utility.
Thanks for this.. this looks great. I have 2 Arkel Saddle bags right now that come off quick. i do like the Topeak quick remove above though!!

Thanks for this.. this looks great. I have 2 Arkel Saddle bags right now that come off quick. i do like the Topeak quick remove above though!!
Arkel bags are good. Not Ortlieb waterproof good, but a well made bag, all the same. Honestly, you are not going to want to go through those steps Court did in his video to take off & put on that Topeak rack each and every time you ride your bike. I remember that video from Court and had immediate reservations about that rack staying put while off on the trails, hitting small bumps at speed and with some weight inside the racks. There are only so many loosening and tightening sessions left with the enclosed Chinesium screws. And don't forget to protect the back stay tubes with some protective tape cause those straps combined with dirt and grit will wear the paint off in short order.

But hey, have fun with it and report back here how it' worked out for ya! :)

I found this by Arkel It can only cary 12 pounds but this is a cool idea as the seat posts ones seem to move but this extra bracket attaches to the seat stabilizes it. i need side bags so this wont work for me but cool idea

Back