A REAL NOVICE

Doug D.

I am ready to put two e-bikes on the back of my motor home and take off. I need help. Since we are not pulling a car, I want to purchase two e-bikes for me and my wife. We will use them as our "commuter vehicle" when we are at a camp ground. . .that means traveling to the store, visiting sites (about 15-20 miles max on paved and maybe some dirt roads).

I would like to pay less than $2000 a piece. Can you give some advice?

Hub Motor vs Mid Motor?
Throttle?
Minimum Voltage
Minimum Amps

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks for the help.

Doug D.

Heaven knows there are a million choices out there, but it seems like the Rad River has become one of the workhorses for this kind of stuff. Within the budget, pretty bulletproof from what I've read the past year or so, and apparently a lot of fun. Heavy though, so get the best rack in the world, especially on a motor home that tends to bounce.

I haven't ridden one, but there is enough evidence on YouTube and here about these things... same can probably be said for the Cross Current bikes, but the Rads have those big tires for campground duties.

Once you add up two Radrover ebikes, shipping, and any extra accessories, you will be under the $2000 per if you picked the Radrover. Rad Power Bikes also makes a folding Radmini with 4" fat tires if you need a smaller storage footprint or you need something with a lower stand over height. The Radcity has pretty much the same specs as the Rover; but, has 2.3" tires, fenders, two different frame sizes, rear rack along with front suspension. I like the 4" fat tires because they can travel between paved roads, sandy beaches, and every where else in-between very smoothly. I work commute at 20-23 mph for 13 miles roundtrip on paved roads and sometimes take a detour to ride the hard packed to sandy single track trails before or after work without missing a beat.

You can find the same mix of bikes with Volt, Teo, and some others around the same price range. I would get something within the 2"-4" tire range, 48v, 11 to 17 A/h battery, twist or hand throttle with Pedal assist, front suspension forks, cargo capacity (or mounts for racks/baskets), 500-750 watts, and 180mm brakes.

Pretty much all ebikes in this range are around +60 lbs if that is a consideration. That weight is too heavy for my wife to lift on our platform bike rack even with the 7 lbs battery removed.

I don't have a RV; but, I do travel with my Radrovers on my SUV (Grand Canyon, Sedona, eastern NM). I had no problems travelling with the Radrover once I prepped for the road (removed battery, seat post with seat, rack bag, wrapped LCD in saran wrap, etc...). I even have a weather proof travel cover that encases both bikes and the rack if we run into really bad weather or if I want to cover the bikes overnight on the back of the SUV.

Last edited:
It might cost you $400-600 to have a platform rack rated for two 60 pound bikes. At that price point, a motorcycle rack is probably better built for a 2" RV trailer hitch, less money, and stronger. Will need straps instead of the nifty latches and won't look as cool on a car though, but who cares as long as $4K worth of gear doesn't fall off.

I've seen double motorcycle carriers with a loading ramps and 600 lbs capacity starting at 1/2 the cost of name brand platform bike racks made for fat tire ebikes. I went with a Saris Freedom SuperClamp 4 because I needed to carry up to 4 bikes sometimes (It was an Amazon return for $525, reg price $799). It is a workout deadlifting the two +65 lbs tail heavy Radrovers onto the rack.

Your rides could be easier with a mid-motor, but I don’t think you’ll find an OEM bike for less than $2K in the current market. It could be accomplished within that price range by retro-fitting a Bafang mid-drive kit to an existing bicycle. Some mid bikes weigh in the 45# range.

If you go for a hub, a geared hub will produce more muscle per pound than a direct-drive and in a more compact package, and won’t cog/drag when the power is off.

Fatbike tires are the ticket for soft sand and mud but create a lot of drag on harder surfaces. Drag adds significant effort to pedaling and has a high appetite for battery energy. For your application around the camp ground and on paved and dirt roads, standard 2.00” tires would be a lot more practical, and offer more tread choices.

Because you will be frequently putting the bikes onto a rack, and the rack will be supporting the load, overall bike weight with the battery removed should be a consideration. Test lift during a test ride.

Heaven knows there are a million choices out there, but it seems like the Rad River has become one of the workhorses for this kind of stuff. Within the budget, pretty bulletproof from what I've read the past year or so, and apparently a lot of fun. Heavy though, so get the best rack in the world, especially on a motor home that tends to bounce.

I haven't ridden one, but there is enough evidence on YouTube and here about these things... same can probably be said for the Cross Current bikes, but the Rads have those big tires for campground duties.

Thank you for the help. I will look them both up.

Your rides could be easier with a mid-motor, but I don’t think you’ll find an OEM bike for less than $2K in the current market. It could be accomplished within that price range by retro-fitting a Bafang mid-drive kit to an existing bicycle. Some mid bikes weigh in the 45# range.

If you go for a hub, a geared hub will produce more muscle per pound than a direct-drive and in a more compact package, and won’t cog/drag when the power is off.

Fatbike tires are the ticket for soft sand and mud but create a lot of drag on harder surfaces. Drag adds significant effort to pedaling and has a high appetite for battery energy. For your application around the camp ground and on paved and dirt roads, standard 2.00” tires would be a lot more practical, and offer more tread choices.

Because you will be frequently putting the bikes onto a rack, and the rack will be supporting the load, overall bike weight with the battery removed should be a consideration. Test lift during a test ride.

The Voltbike Enduro is a 55.7lb Bafang motor mid drive factory eBike with dual suspension, with 2" tires and currently priced at $1799 + about $50-60 shipping. My $429 Yakima Hold Up bike rack is rated for two 60lb eBikes.

So that should all work in their budget, however I think it only comes in one size with a 29" standover height.

https://electricbikereview.com/voltbike/enduro/

Good find for the price, and with 80nm of torque from the Bafang Max Drive, too. With the battery off it would be 48.7# which is on the heavy side but still liftable onto a rack without getting a hernia. The OP will be "traveling to the store” and that bike has "nowhere to mount a rear rack” which might be a challenge.

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I am amazed at the quick and helpful response. I will be back!

Doug D.

I would like to pay less than $2000 a piece. Can you give some advice?

Plenty. https://electricbikereview.com/category/affordable/

Hub Motor vs Mid Motor?

Not important for this application, or not enough details. Might need to go for high-torque/highwatt motor if you're heavy and hills are steep (and then it will likely be mid-drive). Many other people are OK with 500W hub.

Throttle?

Not very important for this application, it's a matter of preference, in this case.

Minimum Voltage

Not important as long as the battery is +400WH, for a trip of total 20 miles. That is - if you're using it as a bicycle. If you think of using it as an electric car, don't like sweating much, then upgrade battery to 500WH or more and consider a model with throttle.

Minimum Amps

For a battery it's watt-hours or amp-hours, not amps. See above. Amps limit of controller will be what it will be, it's OEM.

Anything else I am missing?

Weight, step-trhough or step-over, handlebars cruiser-style or no preference. In any event, battery should be easily removable.

Last edited:
I would also factor into your search cargo and water bottle attachments. My Radrover has 3 water bottle attachments and they really come in handy (two on either side of upper tube frame and one on the down tube facing the ground). I use one of the upper for water and the lower one for my GPS Boomerang tracker. Others used the extra bottle cage for beer openers, securing locks with bottle cage attachments, or just adding a second water bottle.

I find it might be harder to add a rear rack or have a wider choice of options for storage with full suspension bikes sometimes. You might be limited to the type that secures to the seatpost with no panniers for extra storage. It can be a pain to use a backpack if you don't have easy storage on your bike. You can never have too much space on a bike and adding a rear rack and bag with fold out panniers have taken care of me during work, fun, and errands rides year round.

If you're on a budget (and many of us are) you may want to take a look at the Diamondback Trace EX while it's on sale at raleighelectric.com. It's not perfect by any means, but it's on sale for $999 with free shipping, instead of the regular $2700 price. It was such a deal that I couldn't resist.

Bosses for water bottle and rear rack (either rack or bosses for rack) - yes, absolutely, for light grocery trips and general fooling around.

Full suspension bikes will work, though not really necessary, as to the OP intended use - paved roads and some dirt roads. BUT... It would be nice to have wid-er tires for better comfort, 2.0-2.3". Their intended use places them somewhere in commuter-cruiser category.

Last edited:
My husband built this one for me last week. $350 for Phat Cycle Del Ray, $335 motor from Aliexpress (48v 1000watt, front watt) and $600 for Luna killer whale battery pack. Add in $100 for basket, rear rack and bag, $50 for some plugs and cable management. It's the most fun I have had on a bike since I was 10yrs old. So much fun. If you are inclined to build yourself, this is well under budget. Took him about 12man hours, bike assembled at bike shop. He did the rest. Not quite sure he had fun doing it though.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 492
Back