A quick update on my new 2016 Base Turbo

Douglas Ruby

Region
USA
City
Groton
I've had my base model 2016 Turbo for just under a month now. I've managed to put around 200 miles on it with a longest ride of around 30 miles. While I enjoy going full TURBO when riding by myself and averaging near 20 mph, I usually ride at ECO40% or ECO50% when riding with my daughter and believe I can stretch range to 40+ miles.

My mods include: Michelin Energy 700x35C tires (love em), Shimano T420 SPD pedals, Trek TRIP 3 computer, bar bag, bar end mirror, and large bar ends. Also, to improve comfort for me, I flipped the stem over to lower the handlebars. Gearing has been changed from 11-32T (rear) and 48T (front) to 11-36T rear and 44T front sprocket with matching bash guard. This changes gearing from 42" - 122" to 34" - 112". Planned mods include Specialized fenders and rear rack and Ergon BioKork GP5 grips.

The tire and gearing changes have been VERY functional for me. The bike spins easier at cruising cadences of 75-90 rpm and speeds from 15 to 25 mph. I feel more secure in the wet weather with the Michelin treaded tires. I can max out speed at the 42kph limit of the GODrive (around 26mph) on the level or slightly downhill in 9th gear and still have up to around 32mph left for downhill in 10th.

I did manage to scratch the frame when I hit a rock with my pedal squeaking through a tight spot on a dirt road. I fell over at a speed of zero (unclip next time and walk it!). No functional damage though. Also, at 120 miles, I rode into the dealer and had them service the bike. The rear brake needed to be bled. Other than that, it is functioning perfectly.

Attachments

• 20151212_114751.jpg
    20151212_114751.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 474
  • 20151212_114849.jpg
    20151212_114849.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 456
  • 20151212_114905.jpg
    20151212_114905.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 443
Some more updates: My 2016 Base Turbo, in fact, is NOT. It is a 2015 model manufactured in Taiwan in December 2014. It came out of Specialized East Coast warehouse in October of 2015.

Apparently the base Turbo is a "carry-over" model from 2015. No difference except that they dropped the price from $3,800 to $3,000. From the inception of the Turbo in 2012, it appears the price has dropped from $6,000 to $3,000. The battery has gone from 304wah to 468wah. The motor appears to have not changed, but there are a few other changes. The crank is a 4 bolt 104BCD instead of 5 bolt 110BCD. The front wheel is now quick release instead of through bolt, and the control on the handlebar has changed to be the same as the Turbo X and Turbo S. The shifter is now SRAM X7 and the brakes are now Formula C1.

I went to the dealer today and spoke to them re:the fact that my bike is 2015 model year. It doesn't actually concern me, but I did ask them to check on firmware upgrades. There are some, particularly for the battery. They do not currently have the cable and diagnostic software, and claim their dealer spares site says the diagnostic cable kit is on backorder through May of 2016!. Hmmm...Glad my bike seems to be working just fine.

Today I went on my longest ride yet. I rode 34.5 miles, mostly at ECO50% with about 5 miles of that at full TURBO. I averaged 16 mph and had 16% battery left when I got home. For the first time, I got the bike to drop into its sub-20% "forced ECO" mode for the last 1.5 miles. This was in 40F - 50F temperatures, with a strong headwind for the last 14 miles. I even rode a mile or two in "legs only" mode just to see how it went. I still think I will be able to stretch to 40 miles at ECO40%. That requires discipline since hitting the TURBO button is addictive!!

I usually use eco40 as a good compromise between effort and range on my 20 mile commute. My late 2014 Turbo S had a frame manufacturing date of 2013. I wonder if they do a production run of frames and assemble in smaller batches later? I think the base Turbo is the best value now although I would like to know if the new Turbo S battery is compatible with the other models.

I usually use eco40 as a good compromise between effort and range on my 20 mile commute. My late 2014 Turbo S had a frame manufacturing date of 2013. I wonder if they do a production run of frames and assemble in smaller batches later? I think the base Turbo is the best value now although I would like to know if the new Turbo S battery is compatible with the other models.
My understanding is that all the batteries are compatible with the exception of the newest big bluetooth S batteries, they are only compatible with the 2016 X and S.

My understanding is that all the batteries are compatible with the exception of the newest big bluetooth S batteries, they are only compatible with the 2016 X and S.
Ron,,,Bummer. I was hoping that the new 691 wh battery would be compatible. Even if the Bluetooth were not supported. It would be great to have the capacity. It would translate into abbout 50% more distance. Lacking that battery, the best we can do is the 504 wh battery here: http://www.specialized.com. This is just 14 Ah vs. 13 Ah.

Douglas Ruby, Chinese companies usually use a January date for the new model year. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, in order to stimulate the economy sooner, made about September the new model year for cars. Specialized and Trek use an even earlier system. 10 years ago, I bout a Trek mountain bike on special order to the dealer, for a next year model, in June. Specialized only upgrading your battery on your model year doesn't mean the dealer lied about the model year of your bike. The year is determined by time of the companies website introducing of the model.

The dealer didn't lie. In fact I had checked with the dealer logged into his dealer web site on inventory prior to purchase. Specialized had already announced the new "2016 models" and Court had tested the new Turbo S and X (which really are new) and posted interviews at Interbike. In retrospect, I think I can safely say that the only difference between "2015" and "2016" for the base model is the price. I am not complaining about an 800 price drop! The Turbo X went up to $4,500 (from $4,000) and the Turbo S went up to $7,000 from $5,000.

Specialized is a bit fast and loose with some specs on the base model, though. The base Turbo uses the earlier "standard" GO Swiss Drive motor that is limited at 42kph (around 26.1 mph). I can feel this when I ride it in ECO or full TURBO mode. I find myself bouncing up against the speed limit at slightly less than 28 mph. Also, the online marketing literature needs to be a bit clearer on the support for the smartphone app. It "kind of" implies that the base Turbo has that support.

The dealer didn't lie. In fact I had checked with the dealer logged into his dealer web site on inventory prior to purchase. Specialized had already announced the new "2016 models" and Court had tested the new Turbo S and X (which really are new) and posted interviews at Interbike. In retrospect, I think I can safely say that the only difference between "2015" and "2016" for the base model is the price. I am not complaining about an 800 price drop! The Turbo X went up to $4,500 (from $4,000) and the Turbo S went up to $7,000 from $5,000.

Specialized is a bit fast and loose with some specs on the base model, though. The base Turbo uses the earlier "standard" GO Swiss Drive motor that is limited at 42kph (around 26.1 mph). I can feel this when I ride it in ECO or full TURBO mode. I find myself bouncing up against the speed limit at slightly less than 28 mph. Also, the online marketing literature needs to be a bit clearer on the support for the smartphone app. It "kind of" implies that the base Turbo has that support.
You just outlined exactly my confusion in purchasing the 2016 Base Model Turbo. It is still an excellent value even given the never ending advancement in the e-bike industry. As I have said before, I believe people mistakenly get way to hung up on the 28 mph top speed as apposed to bike as a whole. The Base Turbo is a beautifully engineered machine!

By the way, two Christmas additions. A pair of Ergon GP-5-L hand grip/bar ends and a Serfas UTL-6 Thunderbolt tail light. No for fenders and rack.

Although my 2016 Turbo X is limited at 28 mph, and the motor is nominally rated at 250 watts (who really knows?), neither of these specs really matter. What mattered to me was the higher capacity battery and the suspension fork and seat post - my commute is 60 miles round trip and the X makes it very smooth and comfy. Range is a non issue. I ride in ECO 40%-50% and arrive at work or home with about 38-44% charge remaining. I charge at work. I prefer the 2015 matte paint scheme. The 2016 is a metallic glossy black with blue graphics. Not bad...but not as cool looking.

Back