A quick overview of my Tero 5.0 and some basic mods...

tdeboeser

Region
USA
Hey Everbody!

I put together a bad video of my Tero 5.0 and some of the mods I've done,

I use my Tero for both MTB'ing and bikepacking (actually it would be closer to "bikeglamping" - although I have a couple of actual bikepacking trips planned this year.), so my mods are really just pieces and parts.

My list (so far):
American Classic Tires - https://tinyurl.com/ACtires
I went with these mostly because of the pricing, but they are made in the USA, made with quality materials, and the reviews are pretty good. I'm in no way going to outperform these tires, and I didn't want to go too high-end.

AC-tire.jpg

Crankbrothers Stamp 1 petals - https://tiny.one/CBpetals
I dig Crankbrothers stuff, I have previously used the DoubleShot clipless petals, but I got the Stamp 1 just for as a cost-effective platform petal so I don't kill myself :). I may go back to the clipless, but not for a while.

tero-petal.jpg

Muc-Off Tubeless Valves - https://tiny.one/tubevalves

Muc-Off has a good rep, although these were expensive... But they had orange so I just had to. I also used their sealant.

muc-valve.jpg

Small MTB cowbell by Granite - https://tiny.one/MTBcowbell

My Tero came with a basic bell, which I actually liked. But it broke during a fall ( I broke the computer and my with my body - these brakes are good! ).
I learned of MTB "cowbells and wanted to try one. This was nice because its small and can be used as a regular bell. Admittedly, its not really loud on trails, but it wasn't too expensive.

cowbell.jpg

LEZYNE Grip Drive HV - https://tiny.one/minipump

Needed a mini pump and this looks cool and is functional - reviews well too. I've used it on the trail both for my bike and my father-in-law's and it does work well.

minipumb.jpg

Aero Spider Rear Rack - https://aeroe.com/products/spider-rea...

I picked this rack because I was having trouble trusting racks on Amazon, and other places to fit disk brakes and 29'ers. This promised to be able to handle trails and more plus work on 29'ers and dual-suspension bikes.
I love this rack its very good, stable, and rugged - its expensive tho. And the EQ package wasn't available. I'm jealous of my wife's Vado 4.0 with the EQ package.

I don't have a pic handy without the bags on it, but the website... If you need a pic with this rack and the Tero let me know. It mounts the Seat Stay with a non-marring mount.

IMG_0397.jpg

Giant Loop Pronghorn Straps - https://tiny.one/PHstraps

The orange straps in the pic above. Long, cheap, and as good as more expensive ones.

Wileosix Bike Out Front Mount - https://tiny.one/frontmount combined with Magnetic GoPro quick release by OLANZI - https://tiny.one/GPmagholder

Neat little GoPro mount. Mounts your cam out front. I've combined it with a magnetic quick release, it doesn't come out.

mount-n-holder.jpg

Can't wait for better weather in VA!

Tom

Hey Everbody!

I put together a bad video of my Tero 5.0 and some of the mods I've done

Tom
Some interesting mods! I am all for the CrankBrothers Stamp pedals, so I am glad with your choice.

You mention Class 1. Nowadays, a Specialized dealer can set your Tero to Class 3 but would you really need that on the trail?

I could not quite understand what was wrong with the stock Specialized tires?

NIce write up. I am particularly interested in the rack for my Tero. It looks like the height of the rack could be adjusted somewhat if the 4 bolts securing the lower support arm allows the rack height to have some vertical adjustment. Your picture appears the rack is at maximum height - is that to allow more clearance for the side bags? The rack is now showing on Amazon and one of the pictures shows the rack somewhat lower - and even looks like it could go lower if the arms can go closer to the seat stay. I can see this rack along with a single quick pod on the top would add a lot of utility to my Tero allowing it to be more useful to run quick errands that I normally go by car.

NIce write up. I am particularly interested in the rack for my Tero. It looks like the height of the rack could be adjusted somewhat if the 4 bolts securing the lower support arm allows the rack height to have some vertical adjustment. Your picture appears the rack is at maximum height - is that to allow more clearance for the side bags? The rack is now showing on Amazon and one of the pictures shows the rack somewhat lower - and even looks like it could go lower if the arms can go closer to the seat stay. I can see this rack along with a single quick pod on the top would add a lot of utility to my Tero allowing it to be more useful to run quick errands that I normally go by car.

Thanks!
I've never considered the height or clearance of the spider rack. I just put it on and rode :). I'd have to take a closer look to see what adjustments could be made. The bike in the Amazon image looks like his seat is all the way up.

I do have mixed feelings about the rack. It's a cradle-type surface so you'd need a bag or container that would fit it. It's not versatile in a way that would let you just strap anything to it.

I'll try and post some pics with the rack on my bike.

Some interesting mods! I am all for the CrankBrothers Stamp pedals, so I am glad with your choice.

You mention Class 1. Nowadays, a Specialized dealer can set your Tero to Class 3 but would you really need that on the trail?

I could not quite understand what was wrong with the stock Specialized tires?

I remember hearing about the Class 3 option, but I'm not in need of it for now. I find where and how I ride, Class 1 will do. If I was commuting I'd probably opt for it.

The Ground Control tires are good on both trail and street. But for safety's sake, and my lacking trail abilities I switched to the American Classic tires. And I ended up with multiple punctures in the rear tire of the Ground Control tires. For light trail / bikepacking I have a set of Serfas Drifter tires. I have about 250+ of mixed miles on them and they provide good grip and ride.

Thanks!
I've never considered the height or clearance of the spider rack. I just put it on and rode :). I'd have to take a closer look to see what adjustments could be made. The bike in the Amazon image looks like his seat is all the way up.

I do have mixed feelings about the rack. It's a cradle-type surface so you'd need a bag or container that would fit it. It's not versatile in a way that would let you just strap anything to it.

I'll try and post some pics with the rack on my bike.
There are two side view pictures in the Amazon listing. The first with the orange bag looks like there is a lot of clearance between top of the tire and the rack. Also if you zoom on the clamp it looks like the bottom of the support arm is flush with the clamp. The second picture with the black bag looks like there is maybe a couple inches less clearance between the top of the tire and rack. And if you zoom on the clamp/support arm , it looks like the support arm is extended thru the clamp and bottom is closer to the seat stay. I suppose mounting the clamp as far back as possible on the seat stay will also lower the rack height.

Were there any instructions included with the rack? The quick 1-2-3 install on their website didn't mention adjusting the support arm clamp location but it sure looks like those 4 bolts could be loosened to move the arm up and down a bit.

BTW did you buy direct? How long was shipping? I can order the main rack from amazon but it looks like I'd have to order the pod direct.

There are two side view pictures in the Amazon listing. The first with the orange bag looks like there is a lot of clearance between top of the tire and the rack. Also if you zoom on the clamp it looks like the bottom of the support arm is flush with the clamp. The second picture with the black bag looks like there is maybe a couple inches less clearance between the top of the tire and rack. And if you zoom on the clamp/support arm , it looks like the support arm is extended thru the clamp and bottom is closer to the seat stay. I suppose mounting the clamp as far back as possible on the seat stay will also lower the rack height.

Were there any instructions included with the rack? The quick 1-2-3 install on their website didn't mention adjusting the support arm clamp location but it sure looks like those 4 bolts could be loosened to move the arm up and down a bit.

BTW did you buy direct? How long was shipping? I can order the main rack from amazon but it looks like I'd have to order the pod direct.
I don't recall what instructions there were, although I do remember that 4NM was very important to them.

I usually buy direct, but timing and shipping costs were important when I purchased so I ordered from Amazon.
I got the pods from Amazon. But that was almost a year ago.

I put up a install video, skip to the end and it'll have the clearance and hight you might be looking for.

Back