A preview of the 2016 Turbo (non-Levo)

JayVee

Region
USA
Pics of the new 2016 "commuter" Turbo have surfaced. The format of the new model is as expected, but the colors are a bit puzzling. At least to me.

If you flip through the Album you can see other pics of it. They come from a promo event at a German dealer. I didn't manage to find any details on specs, but the legend under the pic says 500w drive and bigger battery.

https://m.facebook.com/bikebahnhofc...44003165884/10153020814760885/?type=3&theater

The Turbo S will have a 691wh battery and will be equipped with a 500 watt drive (as suggested above). This info comes from a source that's known to be very reliable (text in German):

http://ebikecompany.blogspot.de/2015/07/neue-specialized-turbos-2016.html?m=1
VERY NICE! Love that bike, price hurts a little, but what hurts more is my local S dealer hates e-bikes!

edit
Although that may have changed at the dealer since PA officially legalized ebikes in 2014. I expect if he sees big profits, he'll love ebikes. I should go back and check with him.

Last edited:
it would appear that they are preserving compatibility of the battery with the older model (my current Turbo) - that is a great move that will help them increase sales for just batteries alone.

It's confirmed that for the Turbo X there will be a 250 watt drive (presumably same as 2015 Turbo S) and a 562Wh battery for CE version. No info on the Thudbuster-like device.
I have a deposit on a turbo sc. If you come across any reviews of the goswiss 500W performance will you kindly post here. Thanks,

The generic 500 watt GoSwiss drive has been around for quite a while... It's present on local Swiss and German bikes such as the Wattworld Mamba Supercharged, the Stockli ET (Swiss version of the Eflow Nitro), the Flitzbike, and the highly popular Bulls E45 Outlaw. I'm not sure what optimization Specialized has made, or if it's a totally new drive made specially for Specialized. But the generic version is far from new.
Thanks, I know this. Just wondering how the old vs new turbo s will perform. My understanding is that it supports BT and ant+ and that the controller is now tuneable. I am trying to decide between the new Focus Aventura Integrale 11 (with evo rs and belt drive) or the new turbo sc. I have a deposit on the sc but I am not obligated. Bleeding edge buying requires patience.

I can't answer that, but a craftily designed Google search from a Pedelecforum.de user has turned up the 2016 Specialized catalogue and by extension the specs of the Euro Turbos.

Here the Turbo X:

View attachment 3940

And here the Turbo S:

View attachment 3941

And the Turbo FLR:

View attachment 3942
Again thank you. I've seen this as well. What I am looking for is a hands on opinion of the differences in performance. I clearly understand that wattage and size of motor do not directly correlate to more power.

I rode the 2016 Turbo S today and it's quite nice. It has a little less power than the ST2, but it really has plenty. I didn't get a chance to play with the app, but overall I am really impressed with the improvements. I'm also really excited about the changes to the Turbo X and the price drop on the standard Turbo to 3K. The new electric mountain bikes are pretty awesome too! I didn't get a chance to test them today, but I should be able to tomorrow. They'll be the first to run the Brose motor in the US. I tested it last year at Eurobike and I feel they have the potential to be a major player here. Specialized is definitely investing into their system with three models utilizing their system.

I rode the 2016 Turbo S today and it's quite nice. It has a little less power than the ST2, but it really has plenty. I didn't get a chance to play with the app, but overall I am really impressed with the improvements. I'm also really excited about the changes to the Turbo X and the price drop on the standard Turbo to 3K. The new electric mountain bikes are pretty awesome too! I didn't get a chance to test them today, but I should be able to tomorrow. They'll be the first to run the Brose motor in the US. I tested it last year at Eurobike and I feel they have the potential to be a major player here. Specialized is definitely investing into their system with three models utilizing their system.
wow, just the info I was looking for. amazed that you got to ride one. I have talked to a number of dealers who attended the Morgan Hill preview and even they did not ride the new S. Way to go!

Interesting point Jayvee. I'm not so sure how this has been updated, but it's my understanding the new battery and app will allow for many adjustments to the power along with how it's applied. I'd be interested to hear your feedback of how that works. Maybe a dealer can let you borrow a new battery when they arrive. I believe they'll be compatible. I only rode the bike a couple miles but I was fairly impressed with the battery consumption during that short period.

Have they given any indications of the range for the 2016 models? Currently debating between getting a Stromer or Specialized. Prefer the look of the Specialized as it's more in line with a standard road bike but really like the range on the Stromer and feel that that the ride is a tad better.

Have they given any indications of the range for the 2016 models? Currently debating between getting a Stromer or Specialized. Prefer the look of the Specialized as it's more in line with a standard road bike but really like the range on the Stromer and feel that that the ride is a tad better.
My dilemma exactly. The Stromer geometry is designed for better comfort. I rode the ST2 and it is heavy but handles well and is well built. Forward lean is modest. To be honest (not sure I know what the word honest means) I should probably lean towards comfort at my age, but after decades of "let's ride like its the last day of my life" it is hard to change.

The Turbo SC will be a punishing ride: no suspension, no carbon front fork. Now if they made a bike with the larger motor and the suspension fork, it would be an easier choice. The other issue is that I have no hands on experience with the 500W GoSwiss drive and more importantly with the controller and how well set up the power delivery is.

This problem is similar to deciding on the interior leather trim on my Bentley..................LOL

No official word on range at the moment, but it should be great. It's also fully adjustable through the app. Keep in mind the new Turbo SC has different tires and they're quite comfy. The tires are a special version of the Ninbus.

If I understood correctly, the MY16 no longer has break lever activated regen. It is 48T in the front. I dont know if the Shimano XT is a step up from the SRAM X0. Is it not possible to turn off the lights in this model?

Last edited:
Yes, there is one more lighter gear in the new model. In the old one largest is 36 T whereas in the new it is 40. Front rings are the same. Not very often do I use the lightest gear, though. If the derailleur has a chain clutch that is a nice to have when taking the wheel out.

Last edited:
What has stopped me from buying a specialized ebike is that there have been only 2 modes of assistance - Eco and turbo. I like to use the least amount of help but stay comfortable with my bad knee.

At least the new Levo line has three modes.

Back