A preview of the 2016 Turbo (non-Levo)

What has stopped me from buying a specialized ebike is that there have been only 2 modes of assistance - Eco and turbo. I like to use the least amount of help but stay comfortable with my bad knee.

At least the new Levo line has three modes.
The Eco mode is adjustable...don't remember how many levels but I think three levels in Eco??

I realize that you can preset the Eco level. But my understanding is when you are on the bike riding then there are two choices - Eco and turbo. To me this is limiting on uneven terrain where I live.

I really like the Turbos. Also, I live in North Carolina where ebike dealers are almost non existent. So having a Specialized dealer close by is very attractive to me. The Turbo X for 2016 is a near perfect bike but then I remembered it only has the 2 modes.

The adjustments can be made while riding...as I remember the display is small and the icons are a little difficult to see but you can adjust on the fly. I rode the turbos because I had opportunity while traveling. I was really surprised how much I liked the bike. It has a fit and finish that impressed me. I would advise you take the trip and go ride one. If you think you like it during review...the ride will seal the deal.

I've not really felt like I would need more choices on my 2014 Turbo S. I did bump my eco mode to 40% after watching Court's review. I only use Turbo for a couple of hills and nasty traffic zones on my 20 mile commute. I don't really feel like I need more power but I will think about the battery upgrade if it's compatible.

What has stopped me from buying a specialized ebike is that there have been only 2 modes of assistance - Eco and turbo. I like to use the least amount of help but stay comfortable with my bad knee.

On easy bits, like downhill, you could use no assist then set eco to 20-30% for normal to semi hard parts and for hard ones use the turbo. I mostly ride in 30% assist and sometimes the regen mode for exercise. Turbo I use for really strong head winds. I have not really missed a third assist option, because I think in most situations 30% is a nice balance of you having to work and still getting a fast speed. I tried the 10% but that to me felt like no assist almost.

Yeah. I wouldn't go much lower than 30% ... maybe I could try 20 but I feel that 30 is about right.

Back