A not quite newbie experience with the FLX Blade 2.0

And I was talking about any EggRider. There is no comparison.
You have a preferred display?

Do spend some time reading up/educating yourself on this.
It looks like I would need to update this manually as displays use the 0-9 assist levels differently. The DPC18 (which I think is what came with it) uses some set for the 5 eco modes and another for the sport modes. I don't think this lines up with the way frey shows the setup.

My larger issue is I can't confirm that any of these programming cables will look like a com port to my mac so I can use the web based bafang programming tool.

I don’t know yet on this bike. But I do know I flew home on it. I will look at and post data once the bike is fully functional. Hills here tend to average 9-10% over the hill. But routinely have half mile stretches of 12-14%. On the vado this could be as slow as 6-8mph.

Sounds about right. You need a lot of power to climb %14 at high speeds , like 15mph, depending on how much you weight and how much effort you put yourself which a mainstream mid drive will not provide. I am also living in a very hilly area, %10+ is literally every other block with lots of %22+ sections. Even in my short rides I end up climbing 600-1000ft. Although I like climbing , it gets annoying when it is constantly hills and nothing else.

You seriously need to look into the FREY "Smooth" tune controller settings.
Is there any efficiency difference with those settings or is it just about smoothing the response?

It would seem to me, with the Ultra's abilities in mind (yes, I have one), that it might be pushing the Rohloff's ability to handle big power like this?

I though rohloff with a belt can take much more abuse compared to derailleurs. I though you would chew through chains and have derailleur problems with that kind of power. What do you suggest using instead of rohloff?

And I was talking about any EggRider. There is no comparison.
So, unless I misunderstand the eggrider documentation, I can do the frey smooth tune settings through it.

So, if that is the case, why wouldn’t I want an eggrider? It effectively offers iOS based bafang parameter tuning.

So, unless I misunderstand the eggrider documentation, I can do the frey smooth tune settings through it.

So, if that is the case, why wouldn’t I want an eggrider? It effectively offers iOS based bafang parameter tuning.
I'm just trying to save you an expensive lesson. If you want an EggRider, go for it. If you spend some time looking at something besides the EggRider add copy, I think you're going to find it's WAY overrated. The DPC 18 can be set up for 5 or 9 PAS levels. 9 to my way of thinking, is overkill. There's very little difference between PAS 1 and PAS 2 for instance. Try it both ways to see what you think. It's done right through the display. The controller, internally, is set up for 9 levels. In "Eco" mode, it uses PAS levels 1,3,5,7, and 9. In performance mode it uses PAS levels 2,4,6,8, and 9. IMHO Eco vs. Performance is 100% marketing hype. Again, you're welcome to your own opinion....

DPC 18 not my favorite, but from a functional standpoint there's nothing wrong with it - especially if you like the auto on/off headlight. My preferred are the 750c for it's horizontal layout, and the 850c just 'cuz.

Have you sent Tom a PM asking about the software interface yet?

Is there any efficiency difference with those settings or is it just about smoothing the response?

I though rohloff with a belt can take much more abuse compared to derailleurs. I though you would chew through chains and have derailleur problems with that kind of power. What do you suggest using instead of rohloff?
IMHO, the biggest difference is regarding the torque sensing. It goes from practically non existent (turned off), to one of the nicest available. A bull in a china shop vs. one of the most refined programs available anywhere - one you able to easily tweak here and there to suit personal preferences.
As far as efficiency, yes. I think there's about a 10% increase on a charge. Again though, the smoothness is overwhelming. There's also the very wide pedal response. I find myself riding in PAS 2 on lazy afternoons using anywhere from less than 100 watts on the level to 400 or so when required to get up a hill (yes, I'm in a hilly area too). No change in PAS level, or what gear I'm in required. It's a torque monster, and I love being able to take advantage of that....with nothing but how hard I'm pushing on the pedal. -Al

Regarding the M620's ability to tear up chains, mine has 1500 miles on it and the wear tool shows plenty of life still left. The chain and sprocket killers are running around spending a lot of time on the 11t rear gear. There is not enough surface area on that 11t to handle/spread out the Ultra's torque on enough teeth! It's very hard on both the gear and the chain. Again, my opinion, is to stay off that gear. If you find yourself using/needing it frequently, consider going with 4 more teeth (or so) on your ring gear. All else being equal, that should allow you to match the speeds you had available with the 11t on the next bigger gear in your cluster. Then of course, there are those gorilla type riders who don't care about that big crunch every time they shift. Those guys are going to struggle too....

I have no expertise regarding the Rohloff. I have read where others, guys that sounded like they were well informed, have wondered about the Rohloff when matched up with something like the Ultra. With it's ability to be scaled back so easily, I think it might be a good idea to do that. Go with a conservative setting. Due diligence required.....

Last edited:
I think you're going to find it's WAY overrated.
The fact that it lets me make tuning changes from iOS is worth it to me. do I need the display? no, the included one is fine. As is the five assist modes. But, from what I can see, that device lets me program the motor. And I could *STILL* take it off and put dpc 18 back on when done if it's otherwise not worth it. It certainly feeds more data to the phone if I want it. I really don't mind taking one giant screen off the bike either. I have 3 on it.

I think eggrider is my answer. As soon as it's actually available again for bafang. Making this bike feel closer to the vado is really gonna seal the deal for me.

I will likely also reduce power a bit if for no other reason than battery life. I really shouldn't ever need the power this bike offers. Even with limits in place it's going to blow past the vado.

The fact that it lets me make tuning changes from iOS is worth it to me. do I need the display? no, the included one is fine. As is the five assist modes. But, from what I can see, that device lets me program the motor. And I could *STILL* take it off and put dpc 18 back on when done if it's otherwise not worth it. It certainly feeds more data to the phone if I want it. I really don't mind taking one giant screen off the bike either. I have 3 on it.

I think eggrider is my answer. As soon as it's actually available again for bafang. Making this bike feel closer to the vado is really gonna seal the deal for me.

I will likely also reduce power a bit if for no other reason than battery life. I really shouldn't ever need the power this bike offers. Even with limits in place it's going to blow past the vado.
Go for it. Just one tip, if the motor starts acting weird, unplug the EggRider, plug the DPC18 back in, and see if your "problem" still exists...

Go for it. Just one tip, if the motor starts acting weird, unplug the EggRider, plug the DPC18 back in, and see if your "problem" still exists...
It's doing weird things now. so, not sure that is confidence inspiring. ;P

It's doing weird things now. so, not sure that is confidence inspiring. ;P
Despite all the eggrider haters, I think it might be the one for you if you want to change the bafang parameters from IOS.

Pros:
Nice and compact, makes for a clean minimalistic cockpit.
Lots of features (trip statistics and IOS/Android App). Main reason(trip statistics) I went with the eggrider initially
Optional street legal setting which can be defaulted to on powerup (only limits max speed)
Compatible with 52V batteries

Cons:
Cant see display with polarized glasses
Prettty hard to read the default display if you have older eyes (assist level and speed are easy to read though)
Almost impossible to read trip statistics (I bring reading glasses on my rides and its still hard to read)
Buttons are pretty small which can become an issue with winter gloves
Buttons can get stuck (seems to always happen at the wrong time)

I used eggriders on 2 BBSHD bikes for over 6 months. I am now using a 760C (from luna which works with 52V battery) on one mainly because its winter and the larger 760C buttons are easier to use with winter gloves. The other bike is now sporting a grin setup (GMAC, phaserunner, CA3)

Despite all the eggrider haters, I think it might be the one for you if you want to change the bafang parameters from IOS.
I figure once I figure out my tuning, worse case I can move on.

The cons you outlined could very well be problematic. But the dpc18 is still there. And that seems fine.

Not needing to figure out a programming cable for mac or load windows in a vm or boot camp is worth it.

I figure once I figure out my tuning, worse case I can move on.

The cons you outlined could very well be problematic. But the dpc18 is still there. And that seems fine.

Not needing to figure out a programming cable for mac or load windows in a vm or boot camp is worth it.
You’ll find something to whine about, I’m certain.

Despite all the eggrider haters,
Not as much about hating as realizing not everyone has your level of expertise or willingness to geek out. Id guess 20% of those i sold were beyond either the beyond the ability or willingness of buyers to sort. Not a great choice for old fellas struggling with smart phones.

Not as much about hating as realizing not everyone has your level of expertise or willingness to geek out. Id guess 20% of those i sold were beyond either the beyond the ability or willingness of buyers to sort. Not a great choice for old fellas struggling with smart phones.
Add to that thought, the ability to recognize/identify the parameter causing you to be interested in changing/attempting to change a thing. There are literally hundreds of parameters, and they are nearly all cross linked, so when you change one, it may affect several others...

I can understand that, not for everybody.

Ironically the CA3 is WAY more complicated and has all the same features plus many more yet you praise it.

Finally got a real ride. I came home covered head to toe in mud .... with a smile on my face from this 50 degree vermont winter day (basically unheard of). And that is probably the biggest problem with the bike: I need full coverage fenders if I am going to ride in this crap. Due to the slippery/slushy/muddy road, I had to pull the speed back dramatically. And it took quite a bit longer than it did in the summer. I couldn't bomb downhill at 30-40 mph.

There is a lot of stuff to say about this equipment. Freya smooth tune is quite good. The neat thing is I can draw minimal watts by pedaling more casually, or I can push power and the bike will respond. So switching assist levels only needs to happen in fairly extreme situations. I can leave it in 4 or 5 (of 9) and manage my effort with the rohloff. The down side, is it really is a "stop pedaling, shift, start pedaling" gear switch. This is *almost* as annoying as a chain, the benefit being I don't have maintenance to do.

Brooks carved c17 is excellent. No saddle discomfort at all. Still a bit of hand numbness, but tolerable. Also switched to some sq lab bar. gp5 grips.

Unfortunately, I had to peal everything off and take a shower when I got home. So this won't be something I can do easily during the workday. I was scrubbing mud out of my hair, and it was soaked through to my feet. Everything went in the washer (even my cycling shoes).

I will do a more complete comparison to the vado soon. They each have strengths and weaknesses. But, overall, this bike is good. And if I don't have mechanical problems with it every 5 minutes, it will be a big win.

Back