A few questions about a Como 3.

Palmthree

Region
Europe
Hello,

• I'd like to have a basket on the front of the bike, but the one I was shown seemed small and required the expensive purchase of a rack.
  • Is the headlight still useful with a rack+basket ?
  • Is a better saddle be a good buy ?
  • I've tested the IGH version but the seller told me it was not really worthy. What do you think about that ?
  • The seller didn't know about anti-theft systems on this bike. What are they ?
  • I've watched this review (https://electricbikereview.com/specialized/2022-turbo-como-3-0-igh/). It was interesting, but I didn't really understand whether the cyclist got tired in the test ride, when he climbed the hill.
To be fair, the bike is a little bit expensive for me, especially if I add bags, rack, basket, two locks and childseat. Plus, the system is quite "closed", right ? It seems I can't add a "normal" basket or something like that ?
Thanks for reading !

Hello Palmthree:

I can address a few of your questions, but I'm in the states so info may be different. I have now purchased 3 of the Como 3.0 IGH bikes (one for me, my son in Canada and my wife) so I know this bike well. I have no info on a front basket. The last of the 3 I picked up in the US from a private shop in WI for $2600 USD, mine was $2500 USD, and we paid $3000 Canadian in Calgary for my son's. So factor that in when considering what you are looking at for a used one where you are.

Before we purchased, we rented the non IGH version of this bike in Calgary last summer and had a great day with them. I think you get a lot of bike out of the Como 3 if you compare is to the Gazelle C5 which I was really hot for for awhile (okay, maybe that was just the hots for Tina???) but the difference in cost was something I could not justify. I love the enviolo CVT, the belt drive, and the quiet yet powerful enough performance even in the hilly terrain of Calgary. The bike does great getting up very steep hills and has plenty of capacity for a 30 mile or so ride with lots of assist for hills. It you plan longer rides than 30 miles or so for a single bay, you might want more capacity.

I won't say the derailer version is not a good bike, but long-term I think you would like the IGH version with it's smooth, quiet, reliable operation.

I've tried a few different pannier bags and I am happy with using them for what I want to carry. Why do you want a front basket over something like a milk crate on the back rack. That is easy and cheap! If you always have a child seat on the back, many of them come with additional storage so maybe that would work for you. But remember, children grow up and you want a bike that will last longer than a kid in a child seat.

The thing that really pushed me to the Specialized (over the Gazelle) was the new Specialized app and all the features it offers including power cusomization, ride mapping, and detailed ride data. It is far superior to anything Bosch offers right now. As for security, the App includes bluetooth passcode access to power up the bike and an "alarm" if the bike is moved (which is more toy than substance). I added a cafe lock (standard on Gazelle) with integrated chain from RAD power bikes.

So hopefully that addresses some of your issues.

Last edited:
Well, there is lots more in the forum here about the new Specialized app and I would also point you to this Youtube video which goes into a good bit of detail about all the set up and functioning of the app with the bike. There is no GPS in the bike. You are taking along your smartphone with the app on it and the phone has all the GPS stuff. The app connects to the bike via Bluetooth (paired when you first get the bike) and so they work as a team to control the settings on the bike and track detailed info about your rides. The app can be running in the background with your phone in your pocket and everything about your ride including maping your route and detailed bike data (speed, cadence, elevation, assist level, etc) gets recorded and saved. Yes, Specialized gets all that data (if you record your rides) so if you are against that, you can use the bike fine without the app or just not record your rides, but you get a lot from Specialized for the data you are sharing with them. They don't make you link any social media accounts or turn over super personal info. All you need give them is a name and an email address to register and get all the features. That app was a huge selling point for me for this bike over all the other brands we looked at. If you can still get a Como 3 IGH (seems like Specialized is closing that model out in the States and maybe elsewhere too), I recommend you snag one ASAP. The Como 4 and 5 seems to be staying in the lineup but you need more $$$ for that.

Now I can see @Palmthree you are attracted to Como, good.

I cannot answer most of your questions as I've never been interested with the current version of Como. I would say though: If you want a city e-bike, go for the manual IGH with the Como 3.0. The reason being: The chain/derailleur drivetrain requires maintenance. You need to replace the chain at times; you need to replace the cassette from time to time. You need to degrease and lube the chain every week. It is something you would not like to do it if you go for a purely city e-bike. Yes, the IGH is less efficient but I cannot imagine how steep hills could be in your area that the Como motor would not be able to negotiate in Turbo and Gear 1. Just fancy that: no maintenance needed!

Is a better saddle be a good buy ?
It is the trap everyone falls into. The Como saddle is simply good. If you replace it with a "sofa", your butt would not suffer less; your pedalling would become inefficient; and chafing of groins and thighs would be guaranteed.

you can use the bike fine without the app
The app does seem very complete but it's therefore mandatory for most settings, right ? For example, I might be interested in Shuttle Mode, but I have to have my smartphone with me and I have to set this mode through the app ?

(seems like Specialized is closing that model out in the States and maybe elsewhere too)
Is there a explanation ?

The Como 4 and 5 seems to be staying in the lineup but you need more $$$ for that.
Como 3 (IGH) : 2000€
Como 4 : 3000€ or 3400€ with IGH
Como 5 : 4800€.

It is the trap everyone falls into. The Como saddle is simply good. If you replace it with a "sofa", your butt would not suffer less; your pedalling would become inefficient; and chafing of groins and thighs would be guaranteed.
The Como 4 comes with a suspended saddle. But I've never really tested one.

For example, I might be interested in Shuttle Mode, but I have to have my smartphone with me and I have to set this mode through the app ?
The Shuttle Mode is only available for Levo and Kenevo (mountain e-bikes).

Is there a explanation ?
Regarding the availability, August is the worst time to buy a Specialized e-bike as the new year models are announced in September and October.

The Como 4 comes with a suspended saddle. But I've never really tested one.
It is not the saddle but the suspension seat-post. The saddle itself is wide and comfortable.

If you can afford the Como 4.0 IGH, it could be a good choice for you. The motor is pretty strong, and the battery is big (which is very important). The manual IGH is (as I said before) maintenance free. Hopefully, you Specialized dealer can get one in your size for you.

The app does seem very complete but it's therefore mandatory for most settings, right ?
Well I think MOST settings that the bike recognizes (not shuttle and responsiveness as they are not available for the Como) can be set without the app using the display head, just not as user friendly. But once set in the app, they stay that way so you don't HAVE to have the app with you on your ride. But if you want all the ride data saved, then you would need to have it. I think the security stuff can ONLY be set up in the app (but the bike can be unlocked without the app if you don't have your phone).

Stefan seems right in that (in the States anyway) all the sizes and colors of the Como 3 IGH can be ordered again, so maybe it's not going away as soon as I thought. But none of the local dealers have one to test ride and seems like they are not ordering any to sit on the floor. Maybe they know stuff we don't or maybe Soecialized just got behind on delivering the 3.0 to the states after the run they had on them when they were selling here for $2500??? Specialized does not tell us that stuff. So maybe in October there will be some replacements in the lineup and maybe not. No matter when you buy, very quickly what you have is not the latest greatest thing. Stefan is also right about the 4.0 IGH. I'd love a more powerful motor and battery, but I certainly don't NEED such where I live with the distance/duration of rides I do...

I need to add something, @jpadc:
Specialized is unpredictable regarding the new models. The new year models might differ in colour or small changes in the specification but Specialized hates modifying the models that sell well (so MY 2025 Como might be virtually identical to MY 2024). Certainly, the prices for new MY will go up, so that's a good idea to grab whatever fits, is available, and has a good price (US$2000 for Como 3.0 is a steal!)

(There is a difficult market situation now with overproduction at one hand and irregular production cycle on the other...)

Regarding the availability, August is the worst time to buy a Specialized e-bike as the new year models are announced in September and October.
Anyway, a good bike is a good bike ^^.
That said, what would they change on a new model? I'm barely aware of the current possibilities, I can't imagine the next ones.
It is not the saddle but the suspension seat-post. The saddle itself is wide and comfortable.
You're right. And you're right.
If you can afford the Como 4.0 IGH, it could be a good choice for you.
I can but don't know if I should.
Stefan is also right about the 4.0 IGH
Yes, it looks great but I don't know if I really need that powerful motor.
(US$2000 for Como 3.0 is a steal!)
Not gonna lie...it almost makes me want to buy it without a second thought.

Hi !
I have a question about the Como ; can I attach it at the rear of my vehicle for a few kilometers ? It probably depends on the car, but the step through design can limit the possibility I imagine. I've read about some racks but they are really expensive and very professional. My needs are simpler.

Palmthree: Your needs may be simpler, but the bike's are not. It weights over 60 pounds and a standard bike rack will likely collapse under the weight. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Specialized warranty covers damage resulting from the bike crashing to the ground off the back a of car traveling "just a few kilometers." The "just a few kilometers" rule is not like the "5 second rule" with food. When the bike hits the ground, you can't pick it up right afterwards and be assured that it will be just fine.

Wait to take the bike with you on trips until AFTER you can afford to purchase an appropriate rack to carry it.

Hi !
I have a question about the Como ; can I attach it at the rear of my vehicle for a few kilometers ? It probably depends on the car, but the step through design can limit the possibility I imagine. I've read about some racks but they are really expensive and very professional. My needs are simpler.
My Thule EasyFold XT hitch rack carries two 65 lb ebikes with ease. If Thule has a single-bike version, you might consider it, as it has a clever telescoping swingarm for securing a step-thru.

Back