6' 6" 180 lbs guy looking for city e-bike

davidmcarlson

Hello and thanks for any advice.

I'm a 6'6" guy but only 180 lbs so I don't need a "big-boy" frame. Very casual rider, miles will all be on paved urban roads and paths, maybe short stretches on the lightest of unpaved sections. The Rad City 19" supposedly accommodates up to 6' 6" but that since the handles don't move up that would just mean the seat jacked up to its max height. Looking for something in that price range, maybe up to $2000. Most of the lower cost bikes have just one frame size. What other bikes should I look at?

Thanks again,
David

Last edited:
The 2018 Radcity does have an adjustable stem to raise the handlebars. I didn't find the Rad seat very comfy and the standard 350mm seatpost may/may not be tall enough if you have long legs.

I have a 2016 Radrover and I added the Sunlite 0-60 degree adjustable stem, a 420mm Bodyfloat suspension seatpost, and the Cloud-9 12.5X11.5 cruiser seat also added some additional riding height (I'm 6'3" with very long arms with around 7ft wingspan).

Thank you for the reply. On my current bike, a basic Trek, the seat height is 38" measuring as Rad does, so right at the max for the RadCity.

I'm not 100% sure if Rad is measuring from the ground to the top of the seat or the top of the 350mm seatpost? I measured from the ground to the very top of my seat and it was 46". My 26"X4"tires at 20 psi, Cloud-9 with springs, and Bodyfloat does sag a little bit when I sit (maybe around 1-2 inches at +270lbs and usually a commuter backpack). I also wear Northwave MTB Escape Evo biking shoe that add around an extra inch of length because of thick/stiff soles.

The 19" Radcity seat tube is about 1" taller than the Radrover seat tube for added height. Huge disadvantage about mail-order and being unable to test ride before you buy.

One thing I did before purchasing the Radcity Step-thru for my 4'11" wife was find a bike shop that rented this particular ebike. We are from New Mexico and was traveling to California anyways for a vacation. Found a place in Newport Beach that had the step thru for rent and my wife tested one out for 3hr and +30 miles. We also got a discount code from the bike shop when we ordered online when they came available.

Rental and test ride map: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/where-to-ride

Trek and Avanti both offer 61cm XL frames. Haibike xDuro Urban goes up to 62cm. I could not find anything larger. Avanti is in your price range.

Last edited:
Hello and thanks for any advice.

I'm a 6'6" guy but only 180 lbs so I don't need a "big-boy" frame. Very casual rider, miles will all be on paved urban roads and paths, maybe short stretches on the lightest of unpaved sections. The Rad City 19" supposedly accommodates up to 6' 6" but that since the handles don't move up that would just mean the seat jacked up to its max height. Looking for something in that price range, maybe up to $2000. Most of the lower cost bikes have just one frame size. What other bikes should I look at?

Thanks again,
David

David,
This is one of the best options for you. In terms of quality, way ahead of anything you can find from flx, juiced, Rad etc.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Reliable Yamaha drive, high quality shimano XT derailleur, brakes, and shifters. For $2300, you can't find anything better. 64cm frame would be perfect for you.
Strongly recommend.

David,
According to HaibikeUSA.com (which could be wrong) the frame is different from 2017 to 2018 on the Trekking. In particular the Stack 2017 (631mm) 2018 (685mm) and the Reach 2017 (452mm) 2018 (431mm). I rode 2018 and then purchased a 2017 without being aware of this. Then again that 2017 looks like a pretty sweet deal! John

The Magnum Metro+ works for me, I'm only 6'3" with a 36" inseam. Well, it worked fine after I put in a longer seatpost. The handlebars are adjustable with quite a wide range and the price is right at $2000. I think with a taller seat post, you'll be able to make it comfortable like I did.

Back