6' / 350 lb Guy what bike is Heavy Duty For Me ??

Paul Curtis

Iam 6', 350 lbs, 54 years old, over weight and Heart Condition. Lots of Gravel and Pavement trails here in Nova Scotia . I'am in the market to buy an power assistance electric peddle bike but I want one the will be heavy duty enough for my 350 lbs weight and the frame big enough for my 6' height.

What one do I purchase please help out if know or can speak from experience

Thanks so much !!

Hi and welcome!

As for frame size, I'm 6' 2" and I can ride an 18" frame, but it's a bit cramped. The smaller the frame, the shorter the distance between the head tube and seat tube. Some of that can be tuned with a longer stem, but then you lose some of the handling capabilities that were designed in the bike. There's always trade offs when compromises are made. That may not be important to you, hence buying in person, if possible. A good bike shop will fit and advise you what will work for your size.

At my height I prefer a frame of 19" to 21" and wheels of 27.5, 29 and 700c. I have an inseam (stocking feet, crotch to the floor) about 33/34 inches. Trouser inseam can be very different. I can't advise on weight, as I'm 190 lb, but there are guys here that report bikes handling much greater weight than bikes are spec'd to handle. And there are ebikes like the iZip Zuma that are designed to handle more weight.

Good luck! There's a wrench for every nut, I'm confident there's an ebike for you.

I would check out Cargo Bikes like the Radwagon, $1600+shipping+1 one warranty: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike?variant=23990617281

They have 350 lbs capacity, 5 levels of assist, 750 watt rear hub motor, throttle, rear rack, fenders, and 20 mph top speed. The only downsides are the Radwagon does not come with front suspension forks, might need to updated the standard light if you need to ride at night, and I find the standard seat still too small for me (I have Cloud-9 11.5X12.5 cruiser suspension seat, Amazon, $32).

I don't know what the official weight limit is, but a Pedego City Commuter is built like a tank... for that matter, so are the rest of them, I suspect. I know they have heavy duty wheels as an add on to several of their models as well. Certainly a mainstream bike with a solid reputation. My wife has one - no weight problem for her - and loves it. Worth a look.

I don't know what the official weight limit is, but a Pedego City Commuter is built like a tank... for that matter, so are the rest of them, I suspect. I know they have heavy duty wheels as an add on to several of their models as well. Certainly a mainstream bike with a solid reputation. My wife has one - no weight problem for her - and loves it. Worth a look.

I looked at the owners manual online and it stated on page 12/Safety/Weight Capacity of being 250 lbs for all models (Boomerang, Boomerang Plus, City Commuter, Comfort Cruiser, Interceptor, and Tandem): http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Master-Manual-WEB.pdf

The Worksman Stretch trike is rated to 550lb.

The Pedego Interceptor and Boomerang Plus models with the optional 26" magnesium wheels are rated to 400lb.
Yes, good options and quality brands. They are included with other ebikes by Zize Bikes noted above. The owner of Zize is a dealer of those brands and has both personal and business understanding of what the bigger rider needs for a good experience biking. With many models, they fine tune or customize the bikes with robust parts/accessories for the larger rider. I think saddles, bars/grips, tires and pedals are the most common items. They've been doing this for a long time. It's great customer service, few dealers would be willing to do. I ran accross them while doing research for a recommendation a couple years ago. Interesting story too.

Last edited:
Also check out the Elby. It is a Canadian company with offices in Aurora, Ontario. We sell them and they are very well constructed.

Im 305lb I have a 'Teo it does very well for my size, Starting from stop on an incline is tough as you have to pedal to get going. Radrover would be another choice it can battery power from a stop

CrossCurrent_S_-_Black_-_Side_-_Right_-_2500_px_2048x2048.jpg
It's pricy, if you get the hyper-extended range battery pack & coming on the market next month, but
Juiced Bike's Hyperfat fat bike has boocoo power to get you anywhere. At 1000 watts it may have
a bit more power than is exactly legal, but having once weighed #350, the extra watts are a plus.
it's solid, but may be faster than you're comfortable with. It's a beast! I just bought Juiced's CCS,
I've waited for years for an electric bike with this kind of range & features. I've looked a lot of
$5k bikes that don't get close. $2400 with the long range battery pack, $1700 standard. Not
cheap, but not outrageous. Image shown is the CCS, 650 watts totally street legal in U.S. 100 mi +.
Their U500 might also suit your needs.

I looked at the owners manual online and it stated on page 12/Safety/Weight Capacity of being 250 lbs for all models (Boomerang, Boomerang Plus, City Commuter, Comfort Cruiser, Interceptor, and Tandem): http://www.pedegoelectricbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Master-Manual-WEB.pdf
The Pedego Interceptor and Boomerang Plus are available with a Mag wheel option which brings capacity to 400 pounds. Also, the Stretch is capable of at least that.

We've put 6' tall guys on stock Interceptors and Stretches, but I might recommend a longer seatpost. The Boomerang would likely feel cramped with the stock bars, so I'd recommend swapping to bars that don't sweep back as much. Many people like to use the City Commuter bars and adjustable stem. The Stretch comes with them stock.

On any bike with wire spokes that regularly carries 350 pounds, whatever the rating, I'd recommend keeping a close eye on spoke tension. That's where a failure is most likely to occur.

There is another solution here that I think warrants mention. In anticipation of my CCS, which has a #350 limit, I have
lost 41 pds in 51 days just so I could carry more gear for touring. That is not easy at 68 years of age & having fallen into poor
habits. One has to get seriously motivated & exercise extreme self discipline, but I'm proof it can be done. I reduced my carbs
by 95%, increased my exercise another 200%, & reduced my overall food consumption to 20% of what I had been eating.
Basically, I allowed myself 1000 calories a day while burning 4000 a day. Don't get discouraged, don't give in, & you
will be amazed at how quickly you become more athletic.

Hello EBR. Another tall heavy rider here; I'm 300lbs. I've been riding the Roll Road Emma3.0 for three months now and no one knows its merits better than I do. This moped ebike is very friendly for 6 feet, its a heavy duty for heavy rider. Equipped with 20*4 CST Scout fat tyres, and 10mm thickened aluminum alloy, can hold up to 450lbs. Amazing ebike!
roll road emma3.0 for big guy.jpg

Back