DJI vs Bosch vs Pinion: Unbelievable Difference!!

I dont think an arms race for power is the way forward in legal bikes.
Its just a path towards more restrictions, all it takes is one newspaper article.
What’s been more important (I think) about the DJI entry is their lightweight battery tech. 800wh battery and that powerful motor and full sus for around 44lbs. Even if that quoted weight is for the 600wh battery (it’s unclear) it’s still very light. Granted it’s a carbon fibre frame but those numbers are mad. I guess when your main biz is drones you’d have to be on top of lightweight battery tech.

In terms of legality that struck me too, really pushing the ‘short boost’ big power loophole. I’m guessing as an emtb they can say this is intended for off road use, which it is, and that is classed as private land.

What’s been more important (I think) about the DJI entry is their lightweight battery tech. 800wh battery and that powerful motor and full sus for around 44lbs. Even if that quoted weight is for the 600wh battery (it’s unclear) it’s still very light. Granted it’s a carbon fibre frame but those numbers are mad. I guess when your main biz is drones you’d have to be on top of lightweight battery tech.

In terms of legality that struck me too, really pushing the ‘short boost’ big power loophole. I’m guessing as an emtb they can say this is intended for off road use, which it is, and that is classed as private land.
Did you see that eBay U.K. is banning private ebike sales from end of month? They’ve been tight lipped to the reasons why so people are guessing either because of ebike battery fires, or because of so many illegal Ebikes being sold & connections to ebikes used in crime. Could be a combination of both reasons I guess. But there is a clear example of newspaper headline pressure if so.

I haven’t bought an ebike on eBay (plenty of parts & analogue bikes) but I’ve been watching secondhand Creos as the prices drop month by month by month, just waiting to pounce! So this is very annoying.

And off to Facebook marketplace they go, theres plenty of second hand things that could burn your house down, I guess it the sheer size of ebike batteries that have caused it, but a lot of power tools are approaching small bike battery sizes.

And off to Facebook marketplace they go, theres plenty of second hand things that could burn your house down, I guess it the sheer size of ebike batteries that have caused it, but a lot of power tools are approaching small bike battery sizes.
Yeah exactly. I read about this on the Electrek blog (below) and they point out:

There were 155 reported e-bike fires in the UK last year. Estimates put the total number of electric bicycles in the UK at between 500,000 to 1,000,000. In the same year, there were a reported 19,256 car fires out of a total 33.5 million cars in the country, resulting in several times higher likelihood of a car fire (0.05%) compared to an electric bicycle fire (0.01-0.02%).

Not saying much on the illegal DJI, I still can remember Rob being enthusiastic about TQ HPR 120. Where is that motor now? :)
One of the features of Bosch Gen 5 is preventing the loss of traction ('wheelie') that we could observe on the DJI.

@Chargeride: Please remind me the name of the British celebrity who mounted a powerful "e-bike" on his property in the U.S., was thrown off the bike by wheelie and broke his back? Simon Cowell? :D

Not saying much on the illegal DJI, I still can remember Rob being enthusiastic about TQ HPR 120. Where is that motor now? :)
One of the features of Bosch Gen 5 is preventing the loss of traction ('wheelie') that we could observe on the DJI.

@Chargeride: Please remind me the name of the British celebrity who mounted a powerful "e-bike" on his property in the U.S., was thrown off the bike by wheelie and broke his back? Simon Cowell? :D
Loss of traction and wheelie can also be attributed to rider error. He's not use to that amount of power so he selected the incorrect gear and starting practice.
Riding a Bafang Ultra has had that same benefit (issue) and rider experience with that amount of power eliminates any issue.
You don't drive (race) a Corolla the same as a Ferrari.

I'll be sitting out on the DJI stuff. My DJI drone no longer flies due to some software disagreement between Play store and DJI. App just shut down. No replacement. They lost my business forever with that move.

Eh?
Cant you download it off dji?
All dji apps are banned from the playstore.

I looked around for solutions for a few hours on vacation & gave up. Still haven't been able to get it working again since I've been home. Probably need to open a support ticket, but snooze. Even if I can get it working again, I can't live with the idea that this could happen to my bike. I just lost a toy with the drone. Having them shut down a bike is a bigger problem. Just that it can happen is a deal-breaker.

I think I would not want the display on the downtube way too hard to see.
I thought that before trying it, but the top tube display on my Vado SL uses VERY bright white text on a black background. Font size is plenty big enough, and the display is somehow unaffected by my polarized sunglasses.

Also, at most 4 data fields on every page with easy page turning via the handlebar remote.

End result: Extremely legible under all conditions with the briefest of glances down. Way less impact on situational awareness than trying to make out the app on my handlebar-mounted phone.

That DJI motor is something else, a real powerhouse.

From my own experience, the difference being shown on the hill climb is the same as between my Frey EX and any "legal" MTB bike that I've competed with.

The extra oomph really does put a smile on your face when tackling the steepest of hills!

Coupled with the weight savings the Amflow DJI bike (850w peak,19kg) would give my Frey EX (1500w peak, 34kg) a good run for its money up any ascent.

Dare I say there must be some Volkswagen style electronic trickery at play here to call this a 250w road legal bike - but it is. :D

Last edited:
Back