The Weight of Specialized Full-Power E-Bikes Listed As Dry Weight (Without Battery)?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
As I recollected a Tero X 4.0 demo ride I had a year ago, I could remember it was a very heavy e-bike even for Specialized standards. As I regularly carry my Vado 6.0 (26.4 kg or 58 lbs) upstairs, I have the weight in my muscle memory. If Tero X 4.0 felt so heavy to me, what would its listed weight then be?

Listed Weight of Specialized Full-Power E-Bikes
Vado 4.0: 22.5kg (49 lb, 9.7 oz)
Tero X 5.0: 23.3kg (51 lb, 5.9 oz)
Como 4.0: 23.68kg (52 lb, 3.3 oz)

Pardon me? How come my Vado 6.0 with a 600 Wh battery weighs 26.4 kg or 58 lbs but the e-bikes listed above with a heavier battery should be as lightweight? I weighed my 600 Wh battery: 3.4 kg. Now, subtract 26.4 - 3.4 = 23 kg, and the number now starts resembling the "dry weight" of the current Vado 4.0!

How much the 710 Wh battery might weigh then? I can estimate its weight to 4.0 kg. How much the "wet weight" of Vado 4.0 be? OK, it would be 26.5 kg, or, basically the same as of my Vado 6.0. Mystery solved.

Specialized lists the "no battery" (dry) weight of its full-power e-bikes in the website. I wonder if even the pedal weight is included.

Could any of you weigh their current Vado or Tero X or Como together with the battery? It can even be done on a personal scales: you put the front wheel on the scales, write the result down, do the same with the rear wheel, and add both weights together. Does your e-bike have any label specifying its actual weight? (My original Vado 5.0 as well as Vado SL 4.0 EQ had such labels with the true production weight including the battery).

Everyone here knows I'm a pro-Specialized person. However, my finding of the dishonest work of the Specialized marketing department has really disappointed me. The disclaimer reads: '* Weights based on production painted frames as pictured. Actual weights will vary based on colorway, frame size, and component variation. Specifications are subject to change without notice.' It should read: 'Weights given without the battery'.

Necessary to mention: The listed weight of SL e-bikes looks honest, simply because you cannot remove the main SL battery from the frame without a serious intervention...

What do you think?

Last edited:
I’ll weigh my X5 later with the battery. On the US site I believe they list the X6 in a medium frame at 58lbs.
It will be interesting to learn of your findings. My Vado 6.0 is 58 lbs sharp but Tero X 6.0 also comes with the rear suspension and a bigger battery.

I weighed my Tero X5 with the large frame, with Rock Bros pedals that aren’t particularly light, and a water bottle cage. It also has the original tires with tubes. I used a very nice digital fish scale and hung the bike from the scale which was attached to a shelf bracket. The weight is 60.82 lbs/27.58 keg’s.

60.82 lbs/27.58 keg’s.
A kilogramme extra for the rear sus plus a bigger battery compared to Vado 6.0? Makes sense to me!

Now, have a look:
1725571905067.png

That is the listed weight of Turbo Tero X 5.0 from the archive. It is 23.3 kg. You say 27.6 kg. 27.6 - 23.3 = 4.3 kg. Now we know how much the 710 Wh battery weighs :)

this is not the case in the USA. many published, professional reviews have weighed these bikes. for example, bicycling magazine states “The Turbo Vado 4.0 model we tested comes in at $4,000. Our White Mountains color test bike weighed in at 57.5 lbs. for a size large, standard style frame.” ( https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/a37676844/specialized-turbo-vado-review/ )

specialized’s USA website states the Vado 4.0 weighs 58lb and change. well within the margin of error for minor component changes, frame size, color, etc.

IMG_0676.jpeg

a mainstream review of the turbo tero x 4.0 in wired magazine states “It weighs a bit over 58 pounds” and specialized’s USA site claims 57lb 10.4oz. again well within the variation of sizes, colors, and component changes.

Back