Looking for cargo carrying options for my Voltbike Kodiak.

kojack

Region
Canada
I am looking for options for carrying groceries, cargo and stuff on my mid length cargo bike. I would love to have Tern's 50s but they are too long for my frame. Is there something similar but around 35l or whatnot? I want to be able to carry a weeks worth of groceries home from the store on my bike. I think with a front basket mounted to the frame, a top basket on the rear and two cargo carriers on the sides I could do it.

You might want to consider a trailer?

I've got this one, but it's kind of a PITA because it doesn't fit through my shed door so I have to disconnect it from the e-bike, stand it up and pull it through sideways.

Screenshot_20240830-071102_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I'm considering purchasing a one wheel trailer for better clearance,..

Screenshot_20240830-071240_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I've been using my old e-bike with a box for groceries because it's easier than dealing with my 2-wheeled trailer.

IMG_20220831_155517.jpg

A heavily loaded e-bike starts becoming unstable especially when the weight is up high.
Pulling a trailer is a lot more stable.

Last edited:
You might want to consider a trailer?

I've got this one, but it's kind of a PITA because it doesn't fit through my shed door so I have to disconnect it from the e-bike, stand it up and pull it through sideways.

View attachment 181388

I'm considering purchasing a one wheel trailer for better clearance,..

View attachment 181389

I've been using my old e-bike with a box for groceries because it's easier than dealing with my 2-wheeled trailer.

View attachment 181390

A heavily loaded e-bike starts becoming unstable especially when the weight is up high.
Pulling a trailer is a lot more stable.
Agreed on the unbalanced part. But I can load the heavy stuff in the side bags and light stuff like veggies and bread and stuff in the top box. That 2 wheel trailer looks awesome.

That 2 wheel trailer looks awesome.

It's kind of junky actually. 😂
The wheels weren't true when I got it and the tires are crap. They're not real rubber tires, they're almost like plastic or something?

The trailer clips together all sloppy, and it rattles and makes all kinds of noise when you're traveling.

I unclipped the outer bars and installed them inside the box because the cargo would slide around, push to the side and push the cover into the tires. I had to keep stopping to push the cargo away from the wheels, so I installed the bash bars (or whatever they're called?) inside to keep the cargo out of the wheels.

It attaches to one side of the axle and I had to drill out the attachment bigger to fit the larger ebike axle.

It's does work though and it folds and unfolds easily. The wheels clip on and off easily too, but they fit on the axle with all kinds of slack and rattle around.

You get what you pay for I guess, so if I end up buying a one wheeled trailer I'll spend a few hundred dollars and get a non-crap version. 😂

Either Surly or Burley (I forget? 😂) makes a much better trailer with either one or two wheels.

I was a crappy tire yesterday. They have a Raliegh branded cargo trailer for 199. Might try that one for large shopping trips.

It really is nice to be able to see what you're buying in person before purchasing.

If they have a Raleigh setup on display, grab it and shake it around.

The sound of junk is quite distinctive.😂

PS,.. Gotta love the CT.
It ain't just about tires. 😂

Ohhh,..
Keep in mind that if the trailer is axle mounted, you're probably going to have to drill it out from 10mm to 12mm. I used a rotary tool because a drill bit kept getting jammed.

Last edited:
I will say that riding my old e-bike with 70 pounds in the box is a Blast!!

The forks are shot, the brakes don't work worth a crap, and the damn thing is all over the road.
I need to use the whole sidewalk to keep it under control, and I can't go too slow or too fast or I'll wobble off the sidewalk or fall over.

I make sure that I don't have any alcohol on my breath, because I look like a drunk 🍻 🤡

Screenshot_20240831-202648_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Back