E-bike price increase due to new Tariffs ( non political thread) anyone hear how much?

spitfisher

Region
USA
While shopping at my local bike shop made me aware of this and it starts very soon. E-bike prices are sure to rise beginning June 15th. This new tariff increase (7.5% to 25%) is signed into law. The question becomes is how much more of this will be passed down to consumers on say an $1800 bike? $2200 perhaps. Anyone connected know?

This might be a good time to buy either a bike or a spere battery.

The tariff rate on lithium-ion EV batteries will increase from 7.5%% to 25% in 2024, while the tariff rate on lithium-ion non-EV batteries will increase from 7.5% to 25% in 2026.

I read 20% price increase. Thankfully I'm not in the buying market.

The way I understand it, it's up to 25% on the batteries. Not the whole bike. If it holds together.

I believe the idea was to discourage the sales of cheap Chinese cars in the US by making them artificially more expensive - which lumped in e-bike batteries for some reason. So protecting a few carmakers while keeping prices elevated for everyday Americans. And perhaps unintentionally making ebikes more expensive at a time when they could really start making a difference.

[/eyeroll]

The way I understand it, it's up to 25% on the batteries. Not the whole bike. If it holds together.

I believe the idea was to discourage the sales of cheap Chinese cars in the US by making them artificially more expensive - which lumped in e-bike batteries for some reason. So protecting a few carmakers while keeping prices elevated for everyday Americans. And perhaps unintentionally making ebikes more expensive at a time when they could really start making a difference.

[/eyeroll]
The cars could really make a difference too. EVs now are out of reach for most.

The cars could really make a difference too. EVs now are out of reach for most.
They're worried like when the Japanese wave of cheaper & smaller cars hit back in the 70s and 80s. Like then some legacy brands will go bust or get taken over and to survive all car companies will need to make better & cheaper EVs to compete. E Bikes are so niche it's a pity they are caught up in all this.

[/eyeroll]
I don't believe it to be so sinister.
China subsidizes their manufacturers so leveling the playing field is necessary.. but often hard to implement without some unintended negative effects.

I don't believe it to be so sinister.
China subsidizes their manufacturers so leveling the playing field is necessary.. but often hard to implement without some unintended negative effects.

Necessary to force folks to pay more for cars (and maybe bikes) just because? Naah. That's foul. And sinister. Why is it a bad thing to let the Chinese government subsidize cars for Americans? Sounds like a win to me. Especially in an inflationary environment.

I can more easily accept the paranoia around surveillance from said vehicles as sinister. Actually, that's probably not that paranoid. If all the other carmakers are doing it, why wouldn't Chinese companies?

The US government also subsidizes manufacturers. Also bails them out.

Necessary to force folks to pay more for cars (and maybe bikes) just because? Naah. That's foul. And sinister. Why is it a bad thing to let the Chinese government subsidize cars for Americans? Sounds like a win to me. Especially in an inflationary environment.

I can more easily accept the paranoia around surveillance from said vehicles as sinister. Actually, that's probably not that paranoid. If all the other carmakers are doing it, why wouldn't Chinese companies?

The US government also subsidizes manufacturers. Also bails them out.
If that's your reasoning and you can draw an equivalence.. that's a pretty sad place to be forced to live.
As for me though not perfect, I'm still happy to be an American and it's rather peachy over here.

Tariffs are just a sneaky way of getting people to pay higher taxes and fool them into feeling good about it,

Tariffs are just a sneaky way of getting people to pay higher taxes and fool them into feeling good about it,
We (You and I )don't pay tariffs, importers do. It effects their bottom line of landed cost. Higher landed cost changes the wholesale and MSRP to the consumers. The higher costs curtails the amount of product they will bring in and sell. The importers margin stays the same. Meanwhile China or other countries have been known to counter act the tariff by increasing tariffs on Item that they import from the united states. Tit for tat so to speak. IMO This tariff written into law is nothing more than a "hey look at me talking point" as we get closer to the election.

Didn't the EU apply similar protectionist tariffs some years ago? I think the Euro players protected themselves. I see Bosch batteries made in Poland or Vietnam, frames in Taiwan and so on.
Many European countries have higher tariffs, like absurdly high in some cases for any product that is imported that the home country manufactures . i.e buying an Acura in Germany where MB and Mercedes are manufactured.

What will probably happen long term is Chinese EVs will end up being made in the US and Europe to supply local markets and avoid import tarriffs, again like the Japanese and later Korean cars did. Volvo has just announced they will be making their EVs in Europe not China, presumably to avoid tarriffs.

Many European countries have higher tariffs, like absurdly high in some cases for any product that is imported that the home country manufactures . i.e buying an Acura in Germany where MB and Mercedes are manufactured.
I was thinking about the ebike-specific announcement I read some years ago -- probably this:

Some light searching reveals European tariffs on Chinese bike imports dating back to 1993. tbh, I have trouble these days understanding what constitutes home country manufacture. For example, my Bianchis used to say something like "built in Italy" (I think by hand) but transitioned to the tell-tale "designed in Italy" around mid-200x.

The tariff price jump may also coincide with seasonal offers expiring, I paid $1250 for a RadExpand in March on sale, today it's $1600 which is what Rad were stating was the msrp, am curious to see what the price will be next week.

$100-$200 on some models from Rad Power Bikes according to the CEO:

Rad Power Bikes logo

Hello,

I would like to inform you about a recent development that will affect electric bike prices across the industry.
A longstanding tariff exemption on ebikes is set to expire on June 14, 2024, which will result in higher costs for manufacturers.
In response, we will be raising the price by $100-$200 on a handful of ebikes: the RadTrike, the RadRunner 3 Plus, and our latest releases.
We’ve postponed these adjustments through June 30th to give those of you who’ve had your eyes on these models ample time to get them at their current price. While we share your frustration over these changes, we are committed to maintaining all of the things that make us Rad:​
  • We will continue to keep our prices affordable – and the price decrease we announced in January to help our riders weather inflation will remain in effect.

• We will continue to offer free shipping.

• We will continue to provide a free two-year warranty with every ebike purchase.

• We will continue to offer live customer service at our new, expanded 7-day a week schedule.

• We will continue to give you access to in-person care for your ebike at our RadRetail locations and through our nationwide network of 1,000+ service providers.

And most importantly, we will continue to innovate on behalf of our riders with products that make your time in the saddle safer and more enjoyable than ever before.

For more details on the pricing changes, please refer to the breakdown below.

Affected Models​

ModelCurrent PriceNew Price
(Effective 7/1/24)
Difference
Radster Road$1,999$2,199$200
Radster Trail$1,999$2,199$200
RadWagon 5$2,199$2,399$200
RadExpand 5 Plus$1,899$2,099$200
RadRunner 3 Plus$2,099$2,199$100
RadTrike$1,599$1,699$100
If you’re interested in learning more about the reasons behind these adjustments, we invite you to read this guide from PeopleForBikes, the U.S. bicycle industry’s trade association and our allies in the mission to make cycling more accessible for everyone.
As always, thank you for your continued support and loyalty.

17acb7db-d92c-45a8-9908-d918d406fbd1.png

Phil Molyneux

Last edited:
Back