10 mph?

Nvreloader

Region
USA
Would pedaling at 10 mph and using the throttle (with cruise control) at 10 mph, using Eco 1 step,
give the same mileage per charge?
Your thoughts or suggestions.......... Tia

Last edited:
Pedalling. 🥸

I was taught pedaling, modeling, canceling, but that was much farther from Wales.

Maybe you can clarify something that's always bugged me: Why did the Welsh settle for "Wales" when we all know they wanted "Walllles"?

Would pedaling at 10 mph and using the throttle (with cruise control) at 10 mph, using Eco 1 step,

Depends on wind and hills and road conditions. (Resistance)
10 mph uses way more power going into the wind, up a hill or riding on mushy stuff.

If your throttle locks in a speed and not a power setting, then your range will be all over the place depending on conditions.

Pedalling. 🥸

I remember that from grade 7 spelling class.

Pedal is pronounced pedal.
If you add an "ing" to it, you have add a second "l" first because there is only one consonant after the vowel "a"
So pedalling is the correct spelling in 1977 Canada.

If there is only one "l" the sound of the "a" changes from short to long, so pedaling would be pronounced ped-Ale-ing (ale as in beer).

If there was such a word as pedale and you want to add an "ing" you drop the "e" and add an "ing", giving pedaling (ped-Ale-ing).

Screenshot_20240426_201043_Chrome.jpg

I've always thought I would get better range using cruise control. I don't have cruise invoked on my KT controller, so can't test it. However, if I just watch the wattmeter, if I use throttle to maintain speed, the wattage shown is lower than when I pedal. However, that level is quite variable too when pedalling,

@Nvreloader has had this on going issues with range.
No matter what we suggest he is going to post another range anxiety asking for remedy.
Pedal more on least amount of assistance.
Go slow till your balls hang low.
If you are in a hurry to get home push the throttle. Make sure you are utilizing correct gears.
I found out my 52v bafang m620 can average 17 miles with 47v left of battery. On full throttle and light pedal power just to get my heart pump up.

Back to the OP's question:

If (a) your ebike uses simple cadence-sensing assist, with the motor at 100% max power whenever the pedals are turning, and (b) your throttle delivers 100% of max motor power in all assist levels, then range should be about the same in both of your scenarios.

My mileage per charge improves more than 10% when using cruise control, or a throttle held at a constant speed. Doing this, while contributing moderate pedal pressure, eliminates wasteful current spikes generated by the PAS system, as pedal pressure varies. Of course this will depend on your controller and how it's wired.

If you want to know for sure, try this: With a fully charged battery, ride a specific course in both directions while maintaining 10mph using PAS 1. Afterward, measure the battery voltage. Fully charge the battery again and ride the same course using cruise control while applying the same pedal effort. Measure battery voltage again and compare. The trick is to try and apply the same pedal effort on both rides. This can be difficult to do, and you'll get the best results by repeating the above experiment several times.

Last edited:
Not sure if I understood the OP question correctly. But if the question is 10 mph on throttle only, versus 10 mph pedaling with PAS 1, the latter should use much less power because you're supplementing the battery with pedaling.

Thanks
PC, Jeremy, Harry S, 6zfshdb, Rexlion
I am setting up my new Juggs 4 bike, waiting for the parts to get here, from Amazon.

So far, the only known information about this bike is,
I have 81.6 miles on it, and have 47.6v left on the original charge,
unknown where the voltage cutoff is for this 52v battery's..

This bike has a throttle with Torque/Cadence - sensing assist,
and I don't know if the throttle and pedaling can be use at the same time..
The Wart Hog bike has a throttle/Torque sensing assist only.

It appears that the Juggs 4 may be better at using the power supplied via pedaling.

I'll use the same 50.6 mile course that the WH was tested on,
3 different times with an average of 80 > 120 miles per charge.
To test the Juggs 4, as soon as the parts get here.

I can tell a big difference in the handling/pedaling/riding differences, both have front suspension, OEM knobby tires, with the Jugg 4 with 4.0" wide tires on 2.250" rims and the Wart Hog with 4.5" wide tires on 3.950" wide rims, even with both bikes set up about the same, as far as weight carried, and same riding conditions etc.
Thoughts and suggestions... ymmv

Mine doesn't cut off even at 45 volts remaining on my display it doesn't disappoint. I just put more pedal action into it.
As voltage go lower you have to compensate with pedal power to maintain 20-28mph.
With 100% battery.
My bike can sprint fast enough to beat traffic lights on a short segment of my commute before reaching the bikeway.
I'm looking at purchasing a second charger to charge battery at my workplace. So this way i will have 100%
battery on my ride to home.
I say this because as my battery gets lower in voltage I cannot feel the peak power available.

My mileage per charge improves more than 10% when using cruise control, or a throttle held at a constant speed. Doing this, while contributing moderate pedal pressure, eliminates wasteful current spikes generated bi think he should do a six month study repeating y the PAS system, as pedal pressure varies. Of course this will depend on your controller and how it's wired.

If you want to know for sure, try this: With a fully charged battery, ride a specific course in both directions while maintaining 10mph using PAS 1. Afterward, measure the battery voltage. Fully charge the battery again and ride the same course using cruise control while applying the same pedal effort. Measure battery voltage again and compare. The trick is to try and apply the same pedal effort on both rides. This can be difficult to do, and you'll get the best results by repeating the above experiment several times.
I think he should do a 12 month study repeating this several times a day, at different times of day, temperatures and weather conditions. Focusing all his energy on consistency and gathering data.
Will any useful information be gained, Probably not, but who cares.
But at least he'll have less time to spend here posting multiple variations of the same mundane questions to which he'll then ignore any advice given. 🙃

Last edited:
Back