Delta Stem Riser Recall

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I just received this recall notice from Delta for their TD3418B and SM1979 stem risers.
I have 3 of these risers, and I've seen others mention them here as well. So far, I've had no issues with the products, but I'll replace them as a cautionary measure.

I'm glad I grew up to ride in the position designed by the e-bike manufacturer and got rid of stem risers :) The only one remaining is a riser on my brother's Trance E+ (the frame size is M, and he is a guy built for a frame L) but that riser came from a respected German manufacturer who uses safety certification (can't remember the name).

Thanks! Have one too. Wonder what the repair will be.
I'm not sure about the repair either. The only replaceable parts are the two clamp screws and the long star nut bolt. Otherwise, it's a solid piece of aluminum.

At $42 each, they weren't cheap. There are only a few others on the market with a 6"+ rise and those are less than $20 each. I can't help but wonder if I'm going to trade one problem for another.

I just received this recall notice from Delta for their TD3418B and SM1979 stem risers.
I have 3 of these risers, and I've seen others mention them here as well. So far, I've had no issues with the products, but I'll replace them as a cautionary measure.

From the report, it easily can be user error.

And good thing Euroführer grew up.. but even in the one case he didn't, he still did it better than others and for the only acceptable exception.

From the report, it easily can be user error.

That's what I'm thinking.
It probably just loosened up, or it wasn't torqued properly in the first place.

A stem riser is a stupid simple device. It's not like it broke, it just slipped.

They've also got this anti-slip paste for seatposts and stems and such,..

Screenshot_20240412-145529_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240412-154421_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240412-154400_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
It's a mechanical device. Unless there's some type of material failure such as the aluminum cracking or poor screw threads, there's really not much else that could go wrong. I've used risers without issue. I did occasionally check that things were tight by placing the front wheel between my legs and forcing (within reason) the handlebars left then right. I still do this any time I mess with the stem and repeat it a few times before rides the following days.

Found this... Seems the only thing wrong with the stem is that the instructions gave the incorrect torque spec. With some models they will give you new bolts.
I guess that's what happens when you buy something that isn't German engineered 🙃

"The instructions for these items do not have the correct torque specification for the installation/side bolts. The bolts should be tightened to 20nm. If the raiser is not properly tightened it can present a fall hazard."

Found this... Seems the only thing wrong with the stem is that the instructions gave the incorrect torque spec. With some models they will give you new bolts.
I guess that's what happens when you buy something that isn't German engineered 🙃

"The instructions for these items do not have the correct torque specification for the installation/side bolts. The bolts should be tightened to 20nm. If the raiser is not properly tightened it can present a fall hazard."
The original torque spec was like 10 nm iirc. I actually had my handlebars come loose using this stem extender, luckily going very slow but it happened about a minute into a test ride. At that point I torqued it to taste. Just remembered this.

So yeah if that’s the reason for the recall I support it!

The original torque spec was like 10 nm iirc. I actually had my handlebars come loose using this stem extender, luckily going very slow but it happened about a minute into a test ride. At that point I torqued it to taste. Just remembered this.

That's why I do my little test.. If you're use to working with tools you check and recheck.

Delta stem risers sell for around $30-40. Generic models are $10-20. I'm using two or three of them. Jeez, recalled for loose screws.

I once bought a steel threaded to threadless stem adapter figuring it would be better than aluminum. It's a quill that has the requisite diameter for a stem. The steel tube crushed like a piece of thinwall conduit when I tightened the stem. Threw it out and bought an alloy one.

Thinking about this again, my issue with the stem raiser was 9 months ago. 10 nm (or whatever the spec was) barely held the handlebars in place. It's crazy that this went on for so long, especially since it's such a popular item. I remember having a conversation with REI about this too and they just said to follow the torque spec. ☠️

I'm glad I grew up to ride in the position designed by the e-bike manufacturer and got rid of stem risers :) The only one remaining is a riser on my brother's Trance E+ (the frame size is M, and he is a guy built for a frame L) but that riser came from a respected German manufacturer who uses safety certification (can't remember the name).
"In the matter of the hygiene of bicycle riding there is one matter in which women have the advantage of men; for women, as a rule, take the proper position in riding, that is, an upright and natural one, while the men lean over in a most unnatural position, which results in almost permanently round shoulders." — Dr. Grace Peckham Murray

"In the matter of the hygiene of bicycle riding there is one matter in which women have the advantage of men; for women, as a rule, take the proper position in riding, that is, an upright and natural one, while the men lean over in a most unnatural position, which results in almost permanently round shoulders." — Dr. Grace Peckham Murray
That was part of a short article Murray wrote for Demorest's Family Magazine, May, 1895, when she was 47. Her contribution said overexertion was a big danger for women, compared to men. It didn't occur to her that "proper posture" would beat a lady to death from bumps and trying to pedal.

Murray had graduated from college at 19 in 1867, gotten a medical degree from a women's medical school at 33 in 1881, and married at 45. In 1917, the widow retired at 69 so she could travel. She crossed the Atlantic 20 times and the Pacific 15. She went 3,000 miles up the Amazon. At 84, she was on another trip when she died of flu in Japan.

Here's another contribution to the same 1895 article. I'm sure a good detective could deduce the name of the arthur!

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hopes seem hardly worth having, just mount a bicycle and go for a good spin down the road, without thought of anything but the ride you are taking.

"I have myself ridden the bicycle most during my practice as a physician and during my work in letters. In the morning or the afternoon, before or after work, as the mood o’ertakes me, I mount the wheel and am off for a spin of a few miles up or down the road from my country place. I can only speak words of praise for the bicycle, for I believe that its use is commonly beneficial and not at all detrimental to health, except in the matter of beginners who overdo it.

"The bicycle craze seems to me to be only in its infancy, for probably in time we shall witness the spectacle of our business men going to their offices mounted on the bicycle, instead of using the tramways.

Last edited:

The two Rad bikes I've had, had perhaps ten inches of saddle height adjustment and no handlebar adjustment. I bought a Delta riser like that in May, 2022. If It had torque specs, I didn't see them. I would have ignored them, anyway. First, you'd need a torque wrench for an Allen bit of that size. Then you'd need the number. Then, if your threads were oily or dirty, the proper torque would give the wrong result. When you reach the limit of the elasticity of a fastener, turning it feels different. I tighten by feel to that point. If I have a torque wrench and the proper number, I may loosen the fastener with the torque wrench to see how closely I agreed with the engineers.

Back