Delta Stem Riser Recall

I experimented with one of my Delta Risers today. I removed and reinstalled it using the 10nm torque specs in the manual. It was indeed too loose to effectively grip the steerer tube. Even torqued to 20nm, it wasn't firm enough for my liking. I remember noticing this when I did the original install a few years ago. I don't recall what I finally torqued them to, but it was closer to 25nm.

Other than having a screw back out unexpectedly, I never had any trouble with the three risers I own. As a precaution, I applied a dab of Loctite 222 and re torqued all screws to 25nm.

It's hard to believe that anyone installing one of these, either a DIY'er or a professional mechanic, wouldn't notice this immediately, and simply apply more torque to the screws.

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hopes seem hardly worth having, just mount a bicycle and go for a good spin down the road, without thought of anything but the ride you are taking.
I do agree with that sentiment, but sometimes I feel like a wildebeest on the savanna. There are all these large predators trying to kill me!
I live and ride in a small city with decent bicycle infrastructure, and, with that, sometimes I feel like prey.
Thankfully, I can flick the throttle and flee like a pronghorn.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 10.42.58.png

Back