Delta Stem Riser Recall

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I just received this recall notice from Delta for their TD3418B and SM1979 stem risers.
I have 3 of these risers, and I've seen others mention them here as well. So far, I've had no issues with the products, but I'll replace them as a cautionary measure.

I'm glad I grew up to ride in the position designed by the e-bike manufacturer and got rid of stem risers :) The only one remaining is a riser on my brother's Trance E+ (the frame size is M, and he is a guy built for a frame L) but that riser came from a respected German manufacturer who uses safety certification (can't remember the name).

Thanks! Have one too. Wonder what the repair will be.
I'm not sure about the repair either. The only replaceable parts are the two clamp screws and the long star nut bolt. Otherwise, it's a solid piece of aluminum.

At $42 each, they weren't cheap. There are only a few others on the market with a 6"+ rise and those are less than $20 each. I can't help but wonder if I'm going to trade one problem for another.

I just received this recall notice from Delta for their TD3418B and SM1979 stem risers.
I have 3 of these risers, and I've seen others mention them here as well. So far, I've had no issues with the products, but I'll replace them as a cautionary measure.

From the report, it easily can be user error.

And good thing Euroführer grew up.. but even in the one case he didn't, he still did it better than others and for the only acceptable exception.

From the report, it easily can be user error.

That's what I'm thinking.
It probably just loosened up, or it wasn't torqued properly in the first place.

A stem riser is a stupid simple device. It's not like it broke, it just slipped.

They've also got this anti-slip paste for seatposts and stems and such,..

Screenshot_20240412-145529_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20240412-154421_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20240412-154400_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
It's a mechanical device. Unless there's some type of material failure such as the aluminum cracking or poor screw threads, there's really not much else that could go wrong. I've used risers without issue. I did occasionally check that things were tight by placing the front wheel between my legs and forcing (within reason) the handlebars left then right. I still do this any time I mess with the stem and repeat it a few times before rides the following days.

Found this... Seems the only thing wrong with the stem is that the instructions gave the incorrect torque spec. With some models they will give you new bolts.
I guess that's what happens when you buy something that isn't German engineered 🙃

"The instructions for these items do not have the correct torque specification for the installation/side bolts. The bolts should be tightened to 20nm. If the raiser is not properly tightened it can present a fall hazard."

Found this... Seems the only thing wrong with the stem is that the instructions gave the incorrect torque spec. With some models they will give you new bolts.
I guess that's what happens when you buy something that isn't German engineered 🙃

"The instructions for these items do not have the correct torque specification for the installation/side bolts. The bolts should be tightened to 20nm. If the raiser is not properly tightened it can present a fall hazard."
The original torque spec was like 10 nm iirc. I actually had my handlebars come loose using this stem extender, luckily going very slow but it happened about a minute into a test ride. At that point I torqued it to taste. Just remembered this.

So yeah if that’s the reason for the recall I support it!

The original torque spec was like 10 nm iirc. I actually had my handlebars come loose using this stem extender, luckily going very slow but it happened about a minute into a test ride. At that point I torqued it to taste. Just remembered this.

So yeah if that’s the reason for the recall I support it!
That's why I do my little test.. If you're use to working with tools you check and recheck.

Delta stem risers sell for around $30-40. Generic models are $10-20. I'm using two or three of them. Jeez, recalled for loose screws.

I once bought a steel threaded to threadless stem adapter figuring it would be better than aluminum. It's a quill that has the requisite diameter for a stem. The steel tube crushed like a piece of thinwall conduit when I tightened the stem. Threw it out and bought an alloy one.

Thinking about this again, my issue with the stem raiser was 9 months ago. 10 nm (or whatever the spec was) barely held the handlebars in place. It's crazy that this went on for so long, especially since it's such a popular item. I remember having a conversation with REI about this too and they just said to follow the torque spec. ☠️

I experimented with one of my Delta Risers today. I removed and reinstalled it using the 10nm torque specs in the manual. It was indeed too loose to effectively grip the steerer tube. Even torqued to 20nm, it wasn't firm enough for my liking. I remember noticing this when I did the original install a few years ago. I don't recall what I finally torqued them to, but it was closer to 25nm.

Other than having a screw back out unexpectedly, I never had any trouble with the three risers I own. As a precaution, I applied a dab of Loctite 222 and re torqued all screws to 25nm.

It's hard to believe that anyone installing one of these, either a DIY'er or a professional mechanic, wouldn't notice this immediately, and simply apply more torque to the screws.

"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hopes seem hardly worth having, just mount a bicycle and go for a good spin down the road, without thought of anything but the ride you are taking.
I do agree with that sentiment, but sometimes I feel like a wildebeest on the savanna. There are all these large predators trying to kill me!
I live and ride in a small city with decent bicycle infrastructure, and, with that, sometimes I feel like prey.
Thankfully, I can flick the throttle and flee like a pronghorn.

Back