Unsolicited comments about your ebike lately?

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
Has your ebike drawn any interesting or funny or clever comments or questions lately?

Please share them here — especially the non-negative stuff.

Background
EBR members report lots of unsolicited comments about their ebikes or themselves as ebike riders. Most seem to be negative, but some of that could well be reporting bias. A lycra-clad roadie shouting "Cheater!" or something to that effect is a common complaint.

But it's 2024 now, and ebikes are only getting more common in most places. The novelty's wearing off, and many are realizing that for better or worse, ebikes are here to stay.

Our part in this? With all the negative press ebikes are drawing, best to go out of our way to be ambassadors of good will for ebiking and cycling in general. That means respectful, responsible riding and a friendly response to all well-meaning questions and comments. Just ignore the rest.

I'll start, but nothing all that interesting to report...

Here in coastal north San Diego County, ebikes probably outnumber unmotorized bikes by 5 to 1. We also have very good bike infrastructure, which means (a) that drivers are used to being around bikes, and (b) that the potential for contentious car and pedestrian encounters is greatly reduced.

In over 2400 miles and 18 months in that setting, I've gotten a few "Nice bike!" comments and some genuinely interested questions but nothing negative. Waves from other cyclists of all kinds are pretty common.

Last edited:
I'll start...

Here in coastal north San Diego County, ebikes probably outnumber unmotorized bikes by 5 to 1. We also have very good bike infrastructure, which means (a) that drivers are used to being around bikes, and (b) that the potential for contentious car and pedestrian encounters is greatly reduced.

In over 2400 miles and 18 months in that setting, I've gotten a few "Nice bike!" comments and some genuinely interested questions but nothing negative. Waves from other cyclists of all kinds are pretty common.
Same here in Folsom, CA... still get the occasional weekend Lance Armstrong in lycra on the American River Bike Trail who is bitter, but they hate everyone... e-bikers, mtn bike riders, hikers, kids, dogs... themselves.

A very interesting topic indeed!

The last time I could hear "cheater!" occured four years ago, and I heard it only twice. The "world" (or at least my country) has changed a lot in this respect since.

MTBers have been the first community to embrace e-bikes. MTBing is all for technical riding skill. If an e-MTBer can keep up with a group of technical riders, it is all fine, and the only comment you can get here is "Oh, an e-bike? A good thing for steep climbs!"

While e-bikes are not ridden by sporty people in the Mazovian plains, many of my buddies of both sexes have tried a rented e-bike in the mountains at least once, to their full satisfaction. I can also see a phenomenon of people riding a traditional bike where they live but buying an e-bike for their mountain vacations. The South of Poland (that's where we have the mountains) is now full of ebikes, owned or for rent. On the other side of the border, the Czech people have totally embraced e-bikes, as the Republic is a montane country in general.

Many weekend cycling athletes have got an e-bike from the corporation they work for. Such people make no fuss at all about e-bikes but use them for commuting to their full satisfaction.

I'm riding with the gravel cycling community, and sometimes I set off for a roadie workout with a group of friends (I need to ride my 45 km/h e-bike for the latter!) My e-bikes are met with a great interest. People are interested with the e-bike range (the most frequently asked question). Their general comment is: "E-bike is not for me yet. Perhaps in twenty years when I'm old".

There happen to be some funny situations. There is a specific very long street in my greater neighbourhood which any road cyclist must take once in a while (as it is the only cycling worthy route in some area); let's call it Farmer Street. (My brother lives in the Farmer Street, so I am often there). Once, I was returning from my brother on my S-Pedelec and made a mistake by overtaking a road cyclist as we both started riding at an intersection. The roadie started following me. I said loudly: 'Please take the lead, mate!' to which he replied 'Oh no, Mr. E-Biker! You are electrically assisted, so keep the lead!' I had no option but go Turbo and be pedalling at all my might! The guy was actually drafting behind me! It was a very hard sprint for me, as it was some 4 km at the speed over 40 kph/25 mph! :D

It happened to me not once and not twice my sporty buddies were using me for keirin type of ride, when I was riding upwind at high speed and they were motor-paced by me! :D

Last edited:
I had about the same positive and negative comment back in 2016 with my first ebike with the usual "that is cheating", "motor vehicles are not allowed on bike paths", "what is the purpose of riding a bike if it has a motor?", or "why don't you just get a motorcycle?". Add in city restrictions like the in Sedona, AZ, that doesn't allow ebikes on bike only paths. I didn't know about the restriction in Sedona and pedal bikers let you know you are destroying the true purity of pedal biking with an ebike in a New York minute.

I don't think I've heard a negative comment in the last few years since ebikes are a normal sight around town (probably around +/-15% are ebikes compared to >1% in 2016). Way more positive comments now, thumbs up when riding, or people stopping to ask questions. I had 6 family members and friends purchase ebikes in the last few years because of the advantages of riding being +60 years old (we all have the usual knee/back aches).

I get a bunch of positive comments when my wife and I are riding thru the Norfolk city and neighborhoods. When stopped we get the "How much?" and most people flinch when I say $1500ish. I know to some that might be a bunch of money but to me it covers all the bases I ask from a cargo ebike at a very fair price.

Another funny comment is "Can I ride it?", uh, no. We have several bike shops that allow test rides. Most of these people are shady bumish types who will just pedal off into the sunset. I knew a guy as a kid who pulled that crap on someone at the oceanfront. Asked to ride a guys high-end CycleCraft 24" bmx bike and just took off on it. I guess the kid needed drug money or something.

And I always get the "How fast does it go?". Not as fast as the person in my area with the Amazon knock-off Surron ebike! That thing must hit 40mph!

Around here, I only get the Blank stare, or Moo......
But I guess that this to be expected, since there is only 6 bike riders around here, and I know 3 of them. LOL

I have not heard 'cheater' in many years. I did notice a complete attitude shift from cyclists when I started riding cargo bikes. The barely concealed sneers all turned to thumbs-up and smiles. This is true for the general public as well. But especially from cyclists, the notion of 'one less car' borders on universal, and that forgiveness includes the motor and throttle (the shining exception being the occasional internet forum expert with that stick up their ass). Not completely universal as there are the occasional frosty ride-by's. But they are now by far the exception and no longer the rule that they were in say 2015.

One thing I can almost count on: When locking up at a store with foot traffic, or loading the bike up from a shopping cart, I can expect at least one person stopping, commenting favorably on the bike and wanting to know more about it. So, not unusual at all to have multiple conversations per stop. Its something you get used to and I have some stock answers stored up. Yes I built it. Yes its 2wd. No built it means frame-up I didn't weld the tubes or smelt the ore that made the tubes.

Its not just limited to cargo bikes. Last week I was at a stop light on my little Apostate e-mtb, riding home after dropping my car off at the shop, and a pedestrian chatted me up about the bike while we waited. He was amazed it was a 25-year-old bike and frame that was a rescue, and given a new, second life. That bike gets a ton of attention from older cyclists as they recognize it as something that used to be at the top of the hill (a 2000 Intense Tracer) and haven't seen one in a couple decades.

This bike is enough fun to ride I have started setting my Bullitt aside as my de facto all-jobs bike and am trying to ride it on my short errands.
20240331_161207.jpg

I have not heard 'cheater' in many years. I did notice a complete attitude shift from cyclists when I started riding cargo bikes. The barely concealed sneers all turned to thumbs-up and smiles. This is true for the general public as well. But especially from cyclists, the notion of 'one less car' borders on universal, and that forgiveness includes the motor and throttle (the shining exception being the occasional internet forum expert with that stick up their ass). Not completely universal as there are the occasional frosty ride-by's. But they are now by far the exception and no longer the rule that they were in say 2015.

One thing I can almost count on: When locking up at a store with foot traffic, or loading the bike up from a shopping cart, I can expect at least one person stopping, commenting favorably on the bike and wanting to know more about it. So, not unusual at all to have multiple conversations per stop. Its something you get used to and I have some stock answers stored up. Yes I built it. Yes its 2wd. No built it means frame-up I didn't weld the tubes or smelt the ore that made the tubes.

Its not just limited to cargo bikes. Last week I was at a stop light on my little Apostate e-mtb, riding home after dropping my car off at the shop, and a pedestrian chatted me up about the bike while we waited. He was amazed it was a 25-year-old bike and frame that was a rescue, and given a new, second life. That bike gets a ton of attention from older cyclists as they recognize it as something that used to be at the top of the hill (a 2000 Intense Tracer) and haven't seen one in a couple decades.

This bike is enough fun to ride I have started setting my Bullitt aside as my de facto all-jobs bike and am trying to ride it on my short errands.
View attachment 173849
What, you don't smelt your own ore?? Really disappointed in you, @m@Robertson.

The red bike's cool and snazzy enough, and the cargo bike big and unusual enough, that I'd expect a lot of positive interest. Guessing ebikes have become as common in the Monterey Bay area as they are here in coastal San Diego County. They outnumber unmotorized bikes by at least 3 or 4 to 1 here, so the novelty's long gone.

Most of the ebikes I see here seem to be functioning mainly as fun transportation with little or no pedaling other than ghost-pedaling. All to the good once you start viewing them through the "one less car" lens. Just wish some of the riders (especially the kids) were more responsible and respectful.

Last edited:
Guessing ebikes have become as common in the Monterey Bay area as they are here in coastal San Diego County. They outnumber unmotorized bikes by at least 3 or 4 to 1 here, so the novelty's long gone.
Funny you should mention that it used to be ebikes were like 1 in 4 versus analog bikes, and on a recent ride it occurred to me the percentages seem to be reversed. Ebikes are at least in the majority now on any given day and may be well up and over that. Part of that comes from the fact I am riding along a tourist corridor that has ebike rentals all along it. But for sure, I've been arguing for years that at some point ebikes will become ubiquitous, and it seems it happened without my noticing it. One thing I have noted is that ebike sales are the only bright spot in the industry; the only segment growing and with promise for the future.
Most of the ebikes I see here seem to be functioning mainly as fun transportation with little or no pedaling other than ghost-pedaling. All to the good once you start viewing them through the "one less car" lens.
We've got the throttlers here as well. All of the bike rental people. 110% of them. But we also have a pretty decent contingent of commuters riding more expensive street bikes with panniers, yellow reflective vests and blinking lights. OR something very rare in the States: A rider completely in street clothes.
Just wish some of the riders (especially the kids) were more responsible and respectful.
Thats still the analog cyclist adults here, who are wending their way at speed thru the crowds on the path. Speaking of which its almost Spring and we are already starting to get the influx of tourist traffic. YUCK.

Speaking of which its almost Spring and we are already starting to get the influx of tourist traffic. YUCK.
And soon it will be tourists + school kids out for the summer. Quadruple YUCK as far as cycling and beaches go. Both groups put a lot of irresponsible riders on our roads, bikeways, and trails. The tourists seem to leave all situational awareness at home.

Back