Bike Repair Stand

mmwada

This has been in the works for a while. Not because of the difficulty but because I was in no rush. I have an old Park repair stand with the old style fork mount. Park makes a thru axle adapter but it is for a 12x100 mm fork/axle. I needed one for a 12/110 mm axle. It would probably work but since the rear mount isn’t very stable/secure I felt it would best to be able to tighten the axle at the proper torque instead of leaving it loose so the fork will not be stressed. You could also use washers but then mounting the bike will turn into a 2 men job, one holding the bike and the other installing the axle and washers.

I spent time looking for an 12x110 mm axle adapter. There are very few to select from. There are some where the length is universal where spacers are used to achieve the 110 mm. I didn’t know how well these will work where it would be similar to using washers and turn into mounting the bike to a 2 men job. Instead I went with this adapter. I resisted at first because of the price and also thinking I could make it myself at a cheaper price. I say that often only to find out it ends up costing more and not made as well or sometimes made badly/unusable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YJQF82S?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

The build and finish is excellent. The length (110 mm) is perfect and the outer diameter is perfect where the fork just drops on the adapter without scratching the fork.

With my build, some welding was needed. I don’t know if it is possible to build this without a welder. It may be possible to clamp the adapter on the old sliding mount but I didn’t attempt this. The welding involved building the sliding adapter, welding a flat plate on the sliding adapter and welding a nut on the sliding adapter. Then, to finish, drill holes in the flat plate to mount the adapter.

Here are some pictures. Top.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.49.14 PM.png

Bottom

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.49.49 PM.png

Rear mount with motor shield removed.

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.51.30 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.51.55 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.52.45 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 1.53.41 PM.png

With this setup, I can mount the bike without any help. After dropping the fork into the mount, the bike will balance on there without installing the axle but with my bike, I didn’t let it balance for long without the axle installed. With the bike weight, the bike feels stable on this repair stand. I have one feet of the stand parallel with the fork in the front but this leaves the rear less stable. In the future is will try with the rear feet parallel with the bike.

A bike stand makes the work easier and more fun, or atleast less frustrating.
I actually haver several variations of a repair stand. I usually clean my bike the most but not often enough so I use this mount to just hold it in place.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.45.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.44.32 AM.png

If more stability is needed I use the other mount.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.42.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.43.20 AM.png

I usually do most maintenance in the enclosed front porch but I do have the option to work in the garage. If I do any bike maintenance in the garage this would involve moving the car out. I do have the same setup in the garage with the same mounting (rail/square tubing with holes) so I can move the mounts from place to place.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 4.46.18 AM.png

Today I saw a youtube video of a mechanic changing a BB in a dealer's large, well-equipped shop. The ebike was suspended. That appealed to me. It would take only a couple of rope loops to secure a bike to a hoist. There would be nothing in your way. Height would be whatever you wanted at the moment. To work on the other side of the bike, you could stand still and rotate it.

I was mistaken. A strap with a hook holds the rear rack, and two straps hold the handlebars. There doesn't seem to be a hoist. I've used a chain hoist to weigh a couple of ebikes. My carport has an 8 foot overhead and 2 x 6 rafters. Plenty of room, plenty of light, and protection from rain. I think I'll install a ring for my chain hoist.

In the video, the Aventon-certified mechanic kind of admits that he replaced a torque sensor wrong.

Back