First a Level, and now a Level 2

Brockrock

Region
USA
I bought an original Level (LG Step-over) in April 2021. Since then, I have put about 4K miles on it riding seasonally here in the Northeast US. Other than normal maintenance, it has been a very good bike. Recently, Aventon offered an extra (free) battery with the purchase of a Level 2, and I decided to buy one. I figured I'd keep the original Level for around home use, and I plan to keep the Level 2 at work for use in the evenings around what is a coastal beach area with a lot of good riding and many swimming spots.

I did a 20 mile ride today on the Level 2, and I really have only two thoughts about it. First (and recall that the Level has a cadence sensor versus the Level 2's torque sensor), I found it to be less exertive overall. It seemed like the motor was working to some degree the entire time, and since the torque sensor in fact acts on how forcefully you pedal, the harder you do so, the more the motor helps. From the standpoint of riding for exercise, I would say the original Level is a bit more work. That said, the coastal areas where I rode today are mostly flat, and maybe more hilly terrain would produce different results. I'll have to report back on that. The second thing that I noticed is that the kickstand in now mounted to a bracket welded to the frame. The issue with this for me is that my left heel keeps hitting the kickstand housing, and unlike the Level (with a kickstand that can be moved rearward), the Level 2's kickstand is hard mounted. The only option in my case is to remove it and seek another type. I'm not real happy about that. It's something that none of the 'reviewers' happened to mentioned, so I figured I'd mention it here.

Anyway, happy riding, and I will report back with any updates as I experiment with the phone app's speed limit settings and their possible effect on exertion.

Hello: I also have the Level 1 for 4 years, and have just gotten the new Level 2 step-thru
and would like to know if the Level 2 battery is compatable with the Level 1? They both
have the 4 pins and will fit either bike but I would like to know if the;y; are compatable
otherwise, i thought maybe since you have 2 batteries you might know.

Hello Rebelman. I wondered this myself. My two bikes are located in different places, so I cannot actually swap the batteries at the moment and see if they are interchangeable, but I did take a look on the Aventon website at their battery offerings - https://www.aventon.com/products/aventon-e-bike-replacement-battery?variant=42941326065859. Per the Model drop-down, they list the battery as Level / Level.2, so I'm pretty confident that they are the same.

First (and recall that the Level has a cadence sensor versus the Level 2's torque sensor), I found it to be less exertive overall. It seemed like the motor was working to some degree the entire time, and since the torque sensor in fact acts on how forcefully you pedal, the harder you do so, the more the motor helps. From the standpoint of riding for exercise, I would say the original Level is a bit more work. That said, the coastal areas where I rode today are mostly flat, and maybe more hilly terrain would produce different results.

Welcome aboard!

I ride a torque-sensing 500W rear hub-drive a lot like the Level.2 in most respects . Like you, I'm after some exertion and ride in lowest assist whenever possible — maybe 90-95% of the time.

And I'd say, don't blame the torque-sensing assist per se. Blame the way it's programmed on the Level.2.

Ride a friend's Level.2 now and then and like it very much overall. But it only offers 5 assist levels above off, and level 1/5 dishes out WAY more power than I'd like for a given pedal force.

In contrast, my bike offers 9 assist levels instead of 5. And as you'd expect, my 1/9 is MUCH less powerful than his 1/5, which roughly equates to my rarely used 4/9. With my lower assist levels, the torque-sensing really shines.

The gearing on the Level.2 is also way too high for our coastal mix of flats and hills — at least for my taste. I like to pedal at all times, and my knees put up with it as long as I keep a cadence of 85±5 rpm. Not possible on the Level.2 when conditions call for lower speeds.

Welcome aboard!

I ride a torque-sensing 500W rear hub-drive a lot like the Level.2 in most respects . Like you, I'm after some exertion and ride in lowest assist whenever possible — maybe 90-95% of the time.

And I'd say, don't blame the torque-sensing assist per se. Blame the way it's programmed on the Level.2.

Ride a friend's Level.2 now and then and like it very much overall. But it only offers 5 assist levels above off, and level 1/5 dishes out WAY more power than I'd like for a given pedal force.

In contrast, my bike offers 9 assist levels instead of 5. And as you'd expect, my 1/9 is MUCH less powerful than his 1/5, which roughly equates to my rarely used 4/9. With my lower assist levels, the torque-sensing really shines.

The gearing on the Level.2 is also way too high for our coastal mix of flats and hills — at least for my taste. I like to pedal at all times, and my knees put up with it as long as I keep a cadence of 85±5 rpm. Not possible on the Level.2 when conditions call for lower speeds.
Thanks for the reply. I have only ridden the Level, and now the Level 2, so nothing else to compare. The Level 2’s display interface does have a setting option where you can set a speed limit, but it appears to be a ‘global’ setting across all of the PAS levels. I initially cranked it right up to 28MPH, and that was my first experience riding it - for about 15 miles. I then set it to 20 MPH, and it was a bit more exertive, but not by much. Next I will try 15 MPH and see what that’s like. It is too bad that the setting applies to all PAS levels rather than being able to tweak the target speeds for each level individually.

Thanks for the reply. I have only ridden the Level, and now the Level 2, so nothing else to compare. The Level 2’s display interface does have a setting option where you can set a speed limit, but it appears to be a ‘global’ setting across all of the PAS levels. I initially cranked it right up to 28MPH, and that was my first experience riding it - for about 15 miles. I then set it to 20 MPH, and it was a bit more exertive, but not by much. Next I will try 15 MPH and see what that’s like. It is too bad that the setting applies to all PAS levels rather than being able to tweak the target speeds for each level individually.
First, I should repeat that I like the Level.2 a lot. It's a good-looking bike and a little lighter and more nimble than mine. Between that and the lower-resistance tires, it's easier to ride with the motor off. And if it had the 10-speed, 11-42/40 gearing I eventually put on mine, I could live with the torque-sensing implementation.

Interesting that your max speed setting affects power delivery at lower speeds at all assist levels. Some ebikes allow you to adjust the power at individual levels, but most don't, including mine. Fortunately, I like the power levels Surface 604 chose.

Last edited:
Hello: I also have the Level 1 for 4 years, and have just gotten the new Level 2 step-thru
and would like to know if the Level 2 battery is compatable with the Level 1? They both
have the 4 pins and will fit either bike but I would like to know if the;y; are compatable
otherwise, i thought maybe since you have 2 batteries you might know.
I finally brought one of the Level V2 batteries home and tried it in the V1. It does not seem to be compatible. I was not able to get the monitor to boot up. It does seem compatible with the V1 charger though. This causes me to wonder why Aventon’s battery listing for the Level lists both models…

I finally brought one of the Level V2 batteries home and tried it in the V1. It does not seem to be compatible. I was not able to get the monitor to boot up. It does seem compatible with the V1 charger though. This causes me to wonder why Aventon’s battery listing for the Level lists both models…
I have the 4 year old Level 1 and the Level 2 step thru, the Level 2 battery fits
perfectly and locks in the Level 1 but will not turn on the display, I did not
try but one time as might do some kind of damage, also comparing power of
the Levels, I have to peddle a lot harder going up hills with the Level 2, even when
going up the #5 assist level which makes me wonder if it has the same motor of the
Level 1 which is advertised as 500 continuous and 750 max or is it the torque
on Level 2 that make such a difference, I am beginning to like my Level better,
any comments? (also the motor is louder and seems to be in a strain}

... also comparing power of
the Levels, I have to peddle a lot harder going up hills with the Level 2, even when
going up the #5 assist level which makes me wonder if it has the same motor of the
Interesting observations. I've ridden my friend's torque-sensing Level.2. If the older Level has cadence-sensing assist instead, that could be part of the perceived difference. How do the 2 bikes compare on the same hill at full throttle with no pedaling?

I have the 4 year old Level 1 and the Level 2 step thru, the Level 2 battery fits
perfectly and locks in the Level 1 but will not turn on the display, I did not
try but one time as might do some kind of damage, also comparing power of
I have only ridden my V2 20 miles since getting it. I am waiting for the weather to get warmer here in New England, and I plan to use it after work in the evenings. I have ridden my V1 about 50 miles this season. I agree that the V2 is louder and sounds strained. I will have to report back in the near future after I spend time riding V2..

Back