Level.2 Questions

rpr

Region
USA
So after countless hours of research trying to find an ebike that will work for my petite wife (4’9”), with primary considerations being smaller step through design, torque sensing PAS, and throttle, I’m considering trying the Level.2 Step Through. For those of you that own or have tried this bike, I would appreciate your thoughts on a few issues.

1. Unfortunately, the S/M frame has the same dimensions as the M/L frame. The only difference is the S/M has a shorter seat post. I’m a bit concerned about the reach, but suppose I can add an adjustable stem to help with that. For perspective, there are no perfect solutions for a 4’9” rider, she’s been riding bikes her whole life that are technically too big for her. Just looking for something that approaches a suitable size that she can safely ride. Are there any shorter riders out there who have any experience with the S/M Step Through frame who can share there thoughts on whether it’s manageable?

2. The one review I read on this bike said the OEM fork was their only complaint. Has anybody replaced the OEM fork with a better aftermarket one? If so, which one and how did it work out?

3. We will be riding mostly on forest service roads and gravel roads. While a fat tire bike would be better for that type of riding they’re all too big and heavy for her. The 2.1” tires on the Level.2 look a bit too tame for some conditions we may experience. Has anyone replaced the stock tires with more aggressive ones? If so, which ones? Did you have to remove the fenders to allow sufficient clearance?

4. Another bike that checks all the boxes and looks pretty good is the RIDE1UP LMT’D Step Through. While it has a more powerful 750W hub motor I’ve seen a few reviews that suggest it struggles on inclines. I haven’t seen that with the comments on the 500W Level.2 hub motor. This is a bit surprising and I’m not sure why this would be. The LMT’D only comes in one size step through frame but the reach is 2” shorter than the reach on the Level.2. I initially dismissed the LMT’D due to no local dealer support but it seems like Aventon has there fair share of problems as well. I would handle most minor issues myself but good support would be nice. Any thoughts on how these two bikes would compare for a very petite rider?

Thanks to all.

I can't speak on the Level 2 personally, but I built up 2 LMT'Ds(step-thru) for a friend, wife is about 4'11) about a month ago. First one went great, built up nice and rode great, brakes worked well, plenty of stopping power, no rub, shifting was crisp, motor was strong, carried me up a fairly steep hill at 220+lbs with just a slight pedal input(I wouldn't be concerned about power for someone that weighs half of what I do). I was pretty impressed. Second bike, complete opposite, got a replacement sent. I'll elaborate in a separate thread if anyone is interested, I don't want to clutter your thread. Once we got the replacement(customer service was very helpful, I'll admit), there were instances when lighter riders(<150#s) would get speed wobbles on both bikes, so far seems like it doesn't happen when fork is locked out with tires inflated to 35-40 psi, still trying to narrow down what is causing it. Friend test rode some Level 2s recently and was impressed, said he is considering getting a pair and giving the LMTDs to the (adult)kids.

1. How did you come to the conclusion that the S/M and M/L frames had the same dimensions? The geo chart on their site says every relevant measurement is different(I am a bit confused about the standover height, though).

Frame SizeS/MM/L
Height4'11" - 5'7"5'8" - 6'2"
Top Tube Length572mm613mm
Reach373mm404mm
Head Tube Length120mm130mm
Standover Height477mm459mm
Wheelbase1095mm1130mm
Min Saddle Height810mm875mm
Max Saddle Height975mm1065mm

2. I wouldn't worry about the fork at this point, find a bike first then you can change parts/upgrade as needed. All bikes in this price range are going to have similar quality forks. Don't over think it, until she rides the bike and you've exhausted all tuning and adjustments, no reason to replace the fork unless there is a defect.

3. If you stick with the same size but more aggressive tread, you likely won't have to remove the fenders, they have a little bit of adjust-ability and clearance.

If the minimum seat height works, you could:
- Get a short stem, depending on what the length of the stock stem is, you could get down to about 30mm. Adjustable stems may work, but it will also rotate the bar upwards, not just back, may make the bar awkwardly high for her. Adjust the headset spacer stack to get the desired height.
- Get a bar with more backsweep, this will change the grip angle so I'd ask her input, but the increased sweep will put the grip area further back.
- Get shorter crank arms(looks like they come with 170mm, get 150mm or so).
- Slide the seat forward on the rails if the reach is still to far.

Another option, is get a bike that fits her, and do a conversion. Won't be as streamlined and clean, but I would take proper fit over looks any day.

Thanks for the detailed reply. All good info. Especially the note about the friend who has the LMTDs and is considering gifting them and purchasing a Level 2.

I could have sworn all the frame specs on the Level 2’s were identical on Aventon’s website a few days ago other than the seat post height. Interestingly, I see now the S/M and M/L frame specs for the Aventure are all the same except for the seat post height. So maybe that was what I was looking at.
632576FC-AC50-4BF6-BDD8-3E2376DC27A6.jpeg

How about a folding ebike? Blix Vika+? Lectric XP3.0 Step Through? Aventon Sinch Step Through?

Last edited:
The folding ebikes are certainly viable options from a sizing perspective and we have looked at them. The problem is most are cadence sensor PAS only and they all look, handle and behave more like mopeds and dirt bikes than bicycles. As the manufacturers continue to move toward torque sensors they might become a better option, but the small 20” wheels and heavy weights are less than ideal. A 24” or 26” wheeled step through with torque sensor and throttle would be ideal. There don’t seem to be any right now that check all those boxes but we’re hoping some new refreshed 2023 models will show up.

My Leaf folding ebike with its 1000w watt rear motor starts to shake after 25 mph although it will go about 35mph. It's scary. It's because of the loose tolerances on the folding hinges. They advertise cruise control but after dozens of emails they said that it never did work. The translation problem is frustrating.

Any updates on anyone's experience with a Level 2 step thru. Considering buying one for Mothers day gift. The candidates look to be the Level 2, Espin Flow and Ride 1 Up limited or 700...

Very happy with the Ride1up LMT’D. If the weight of the bike is a consideration, the LMT’D is the lightest of the bunch and you’re not giving up anything.

Very happy with the Ride1up LMT’D. If the weight of the bike is a consideration, the LMT’D is the lightest of the bunch and you’re not giving up anything.
Did the Limited come with rack and fenders?

No, I purchased the rear rack separately. It was on back order and took a few months to get here. I haven’t installed it yet. I’m not sure if they offer fenders for the LMT’D.

Looks like the LMTD and the Level 2 are both 53 lbs. Espin Flow 55 lbs. Leaning towards the Level 2 right now in white as it comes with rack and fenders, has a 2 year warranty and I like the big color display. It is the most expensive of the bunch at 1799. The batteries, brakes and drivetrain look very similar...

I could be wrong but I think the Espin and Level 2 published weights are without the batteries and the published weight for the LMT’D includes the battery. They’re all good bikes though. Good luck!

I could be wrong but I think the Espin and Level 2 published weights are without the batteries and the published weight for the LMT’D includes the battery. They’re all good bikes though. Good luck!
2 year warranty on the Level 2 nice as I have an Aventon dealer right down the street...

Has anyone tried to attach the Topeak quick rack adapter to their rack on a Level 2 ST? I have a couple of them attached to my Espin Sports and it is a tricky fit requiring some zip ties based on the fit of the quick rack.

Just ordered Level 2 ST in White for Mothers Day.

Has anyone tried to attach the Topeak quick rack adapter to their rack on a Level 2 ST? I have a couple of them attached to my Espin Sports and it is a tricky fit requiring some zip ties based on the fit of the quick rack.

Yes , I installed on my level 2. , had to drill new holes in bike rack and add new screws and nuts.

Back