New Cargo Bike for the European Market (Specialized Porto)

AvalancheRun

Region
USA
Specialized UK

Belt drive, 2.2 motor, 20x2.8 pathfinder tires, 87 lbs.

Would have jumped at the chance to buy a Specialized cargo bike with the 2.2 motor. Looks like an Enviolo Automatiq retrofit is possible too.
I've got to wonder about the ride quality though.

Specialized UK

Belt drive, 2.2 motor, 20x2.8 pathfinder tires, 87 lbs.

Would have jumped at the chance to buy a Specialized cargo bike with the 2.2 motor. Looks like an Enviolo Automatiq retrofit is possible too.
I've got to wonder about the ride quality though.
Finally a Specialized cargo e-bike that can be proudly "a Specialized" (not a Globe), with the meat made of a named animal 😁 and without the throttle (something that is a must-have for so many North Americans) 😊

Forty kilograms, ouch!

Really a shame that this isn't hitting the US. All of the electronics are used in current Specialized bikes.
Give it time. Specialized is still early days for the Globe models and we are still in the middle of the Bikepocalypse.

I can't help but feel the North American preference for longtails is going to stunt the acceptance of this bike in the EU.

Its got some really nice bits on it. The integrated 1-piece fender and kid-foot-shield is well done. I wonder if that soft bag is Specialized. I see they are selling the Fjallraven hardshell panniers which go 2-per-side on the Globes and which also cost a king's ransom so thats just as dumb as its always been.

Give it time. Specialized is still early days for the Globe models and we are still in the middle of the Bikepocalypse.

I can't help but feel the North American preference for longtails is going to stunt the acceptance of this bike in the EU.

Its got some really nice bits on it. The integrated 1-piece fender and kid-foot-shield is well done. I wonder if that soft bag is Specialized. I see they are selling the Fjallraven hardshell panniers which go 2-per-side on the Globes and which also cost a king's ransom so thats just as dumb as its always been.
TBH, I would prefer suspension and a front load design like Load/Urban Arrow/Bullitt. The real hero on this bike is the motor.

The Fjallraven coolcave panniers are priced a bit silly (often on sale), but they really are great. Been using them for nearly a year and have zero complaints. Course you don't need those at all with a front loader.

I wonder if the lack of throttle (not at all a minus in my view) had something to do with it not being offered in the US.

It looks like a good bike. I like the choice of 2.8-inch plus-size tires. I agree with @AvalancheRun that it would be better with front suspension and a suspension seat post. Its mullet configuration is similar to the one in my Yuba Spicy Curry AT (which has front suspension). The smaller wheel in back lowers the rear load and provides greater torque and acceleration than a larger wheel. The Bosch Cargo Line motor in my Yuba is rated at 85Nm, yet it feels weaker than the 70Nm Yamaha motor in my 2016 Haibike AllMtn. My feeling is that Bosch exaggerates their torque ratings or measures them differently. Hopefully, the Specialized 2.2 motor is much stronger than the small difference of 5Nm suggests. (90Nm Specialized 2.2 vs. 85Nm Bosch Cargo Line).

@AvalancheRun, my Yuba does not have a throttle. Neither does my Haibike. I don't think the absence of a throttle is an issue. I believe m@Robertson is correct. The Specialized Porto will eventually be offered in the US.

Last edited:
TBH, I would prefer suspension and a front load design like Load/Urban Arrow/Bullitt. The real hero on this bike is the motor.

The Fjallraven coolcave panniers are priced a bit silly (often on sale), but they really are great. Been using them for nearly a year and have zero complaints. Course you don't need those at all with a front loader.

I wonder if the lack of throttle (not at all a minus in my view) had something to do with it not being offered in the US.

I picked up a new Vado 4.0 last Friday and had been eyeing the Cool Cave panniers (Specialized/Fjallraven). Spesh has black only for $80 each which seemed absurd to me and so I promptly searched for a better price.
On Fjallraven's website they had all colors for $48 each on sale. I bought two which deliver today. The following day my buddy informed me that he was going to buy the "bucket style" panniers and I sent him the link for him to reply "that's them...but they are sold out". So Fjallraven sold out all colorways of CoolCave panniers at $48 rather quickly.

FYI they do have the other Spesh/Fjallraven bits on sale, however, I was only insterested in the 'buckets' lol.

Last edited:
Sure you do. Just not every day. I generally don't put them on but for larger shopping runs, panniers are great for lighter items that won't affect the bike's balance. Or not I've used them for juice bottles etc. etc. Its smart practice for 'overflow' to make sure you can get that whole Costco cart loaded up.
20231118_115516.jpg

I looked at the Cool Caves and said "gee that looks like an office trash can" and took it from there. 26.5L each, double-walled and the plastic can handle temperatures well below freezing. Also completely waterproof but so is any pannier with a trash can liner.

I doubt it. Specialized is still working thru their Globe product introductions. The Globe Haul ST was by all accounts a big success. They launched the Globe Haul LT as a follow-on. Haven't heard a thing about how well that has gone. A much more expensive mid drive would be the next logical introduction but I wouldn't expect that to happen until maybe 2025.

The Sea Otter Classic is happening next week. Last year Specialized had the Haul ST's out by the dozens so we'll see what they do this year. Its close enough for me to ride to Laguna Seca and I'm planning on doing it again this year.

Sure you do. Just not every day. I generally don't put them on but for larger shopping runs, panniers are great for lighter items that won't affect the bike's balance. Or not I've used them for juice bottles etc. etc. Its smart practice for 'overflow' to make sure you can get that whole Costco cart loaded up.
I got my Cool Cave panniers delivered today from Fjallraven for $48 each which included shipping. They certainly are not for everybody and I likely won't keep them on the bike at all times. That said, my full power Vado is intended both for fun and for 'errands'. These will be perfect for my light suburban uses including trips to an office, grocery, bank etc. My other bike is entirely naked and will remain so (for fitness use). I personally like the simplicity of these cool cave panniers but I do understand that we each have our own needs.
PXL_20240409_222451866.jpg

PXL_20240409_222458096.jpg

PXL_20240409_222523927.jpg

It looks like a good bike. I like the choice of 2.8-inch plus-size tires. I agree with @AvalancheRun that it would be better with front suspension and a suspension seat post. Its mullet configuration is similar to the one in my Yuba Spicy Curry AT (which has front suspension). The smaller wheel in back lowers the rear load and provides greater torque and acceleration than a larger wheel. The Bosch Cargo Line motor in my Yuba is rated at 85Nm, yet it feels weaker than the 70Nm Yamaha motor in my 2016 Haibike AllMtn. My feeling is that Bosch exaggerates their torque ratings or measures them differently. Hopefully, the Specialized 2.2 motor is much stronger than the small difference of 5Nm suggests. (90Nm Specialized 2.2 vs. 85Nm Bosch Cargo Line).

@AvalancheRun, my Yuba does not have a throttle. Neither does my Haibike. I don't think the absence of a throttle is an issue. I believe m@Robertson is correct. The Specialized Porto will eventually be offered in the US.
If torque is measured the same way as the Globe Haul (also 90 nm, but a hub), you'll have no problem with even very steep hills.
I got my Cool Cave panniers delivered today from Fjallraven for $48 each which included shipping. They certainly are not for everybody and I likely won't keep them on the bike at all times. That said, my full power Vado is intended both for fun and for 'errands'. These will be perfect for my light suburban uses including trips to an office, grocery, bank etc. My other bike is entirely naked and will remain so (for fitness use). I personally like the simplicity of these cool cave panniers but I do understand that we each have our own needs.
I love them for hauling, but still plan on getting something slimmer like ortliebs. I probably got them on sale too. The Fjallraven/S stuff is amazing considering the sales.

Back when I was in the market, if the Coolcaves were $48 each I probably would have bought them. Now, more than a year later, I'm glad I couldn't as the trash cans are bigger and that larger size makes for more convenience. And surprisingly, they are very popular with onlookers who immediately recognize what they are and really seem to like the idea.

I did something similar (i.e. inexpensive DIY) with my longtails when I took canvas duffel bags and repurposed them to quick-detach saddle bags... the big ones fit the Surly longtail perfectly and were 138L each. The canvas duffel was US$50 at the time.

The small original version was 77L each and are more suited to fit a smaller longtail (Mongoose Envoy). With a low-to-the-ground cargo rack, a longer, tubular-style duffel with a top zip would be perfect. I use one for the top of my longtail's rack as overflow along with a cargo net to clamp it gently down.

For a bike like this Specialized you could skip stuff like the internal foam and use way smaller/cheaper bags to come out with more, centralized space, quick-detach, easy carry and much lower build cost. Just keep the loop-and-dowel method to attach.

For my uses these cool caves are plenty big. Hell I probably will only use one of them most of the time. Those big bags are super cool

Hopefully, the Specialized 2.2 motor is much stronger than the small difference of 5Nm suggests. (90Nm Specialized 2.2 vs. 85Nm Bosch Cargo Line).
It is 565 W mechanical peak power (some 715 W electrical). Do not even look at the torque figures; these are used to disguise the actual motor peak power (which is a taboo in Europe as only the 250 W nominal motor power can be talked about there). Additionally, big brands quote the torque figures rather liberally for marketing purposes.

No, it is to make it not compete with the Globe Haul. As you are aware, many Americans believe in "750 W", need to have their asses carried on a motorcycle saddle, and would never be pedalling (throttle) :) Additionally, Globe Haul is relatively inexpensive, making it competitive in the American market literally flooded by cheap Chinese e-bikes of a similar provenience.

Specialized Porto can now be found in the local language pages of EU Specialized site. Only I can see quite a chaos there. For instance, you will find the Porto in the main menu for e-bikes for France or Germany but it is not for Belgium or Poland, even if the product page itself has been created for any EU country. For example, you will find a Porto here:

A direct link to the Porto in the Specialized Poland website.

However, a look at the E-bike menu of Specialized Poland shows...
1712816209772.png

A click on Globe Haul ST produces: "This e-bike is unavailable."

:D

Last edited:
Back