How do y'all handle flats on your rides?

enforcersu

I never really have an issue changing a flat on a ride on my normal bikes, or even my mid drive Creo. My issue is that the Stromer with the hub motor is a different beast.

I've seen some folks try to patch the tube while still on the bike, but do you folks generally remove the rear wheel and swap tube out on the road? Patch while on the bike? something else?

I'm awaiting my ST3, but prior to 2020 I would commute quite a bit on ST1X. I just recall the rear removal process to be quite an ordeal, and that's the one thing that has me concerned about using this for commutes, given I generally will get a flat every couple of weeks due to the staples, nails and other debris on the side of the road i can pick up.

after getting quite a few flats during my commutes and getting tired of it, i put in tannus armous inserts and haven't had a flat in over 2 years (since i said that, i will likely get one next week). they add a little rolling resistance and a little weight but they've definitely paid for themselves not getting flats, i think they were 100-150 installed at the local bike shop.

I pull the wheel and change the tube. I've put extra wiring on the front fork so I can pull the wheel without unplugging the motor. Just cut and replace the tye-wraps holding the extra wire in a loop. I've deleted the display so I can turn the bike upside down on handlebars & seat for tire or chain maintenance.
With knobby kendas or giants, I have less than one flat a year in 2000 miles. I have about as many tires stabbed with a knife by frustrated thieves as go flat from road trash. I carry 3 spare tubes and a spare tire in the pannier.

I never really have an issue changing a flat on a ride on my normal bikes, or even my mid drive Creo. My issue is that the Stromer with the hub motor is a different beast.

I've seen some folks try to patch the tube while still on the bike, but do you folks generally remove the rear wheel and swap tube out on the road? Patch while on the bike? something else?

I'm awaiting my ST3, but prior to 2020 I would commute quite a bit on ST1X. I just recall the rear removal process to be quite an ordeal, and that's the one thing that has me concerned about using this for commutes, given I generally will get a flat every couple of weeks due to the staples, nails and other debris on the side of the road i can pick up.
Solved all of my flat problems by going tubeless. It is the best solution.

+1 on the Tannus armour. I also use Slime filled heavy gauge tubes.

+1 on the Tannus armour. I also use Slime filled heavy gauge tubes.
I will vouch for Tannus in lieu of going tubeless. I used (Tannus + Slime) for a year on my MTB and my wife's road bike, never had a flat.

I will vouch for Tannus in lieu of going tubeless. I used (Tannus + Slime) for a year on my MTB and my wife's road bike, never had a flat.
have you tried it? adding al that weight and resistance is going to make the bike more sluggish. and the liners compress with time and become less effective.

have you tried it? adding al that weight and resistance is going to make the bike more sluggish. and the liners compress with time and become less effective.
Yup, I used Tannus Armor for over a year on my Fat Bike, my MTB, and my wife's road bike. Never had a problem, and the weight seemed imperceptable on an ebike. Never had a flat after using the Tannus. I've since gone tubeless on all of my bikes, and I would recommend Tubeless over Tannus or any type of inserts.

Yup, I used Tannus Armor for over a year on my Fat Bike, my MTB, and my wife's road bike. Never had a problem, and the weight seemed imperceptable on an ebike. Never had a flat after using the Tannus. I've since gone tubeless on all of my bikes, and I would recommend Tubeless over Tannus or any type of inserts.
did you have a bike shop do the tubeless or do it yourself? if a bike shop, do you recall the out the door cost? i'm about due for new tires and would consider it if it's reasonable.

No goatshead thorns where I ride. Most of my flat tires were user install problems. I carry a spare tube, tools, and a pump when I expect to be too far from home base or the car.

Schwalbe tires with the inserts on most of my bikes. I can feel when I'm down on pressure. I don't think I would care for foam liners.

did you have a bike shop do the tubeless or do it yourself? if a bike shop, do you recall the out the door cost? i'm about due for new tires and would consider it if it's reasonable.
Did it myself. It is very easy. To inflate the tires initially you will need to use a air compressor or tank. I've since learned to inflate using my hand pump, takes a little learning.

In addition to Tannus, heavy duty tubes & slime, I also have AAA insurance, which now covers bicycles.

Yes, there is extra weight with the Tannus, but in my case, very little degradation of performance. The trick is finding the right tire pressure.

I would dearly love to go tubeless, but my mag wheels are not compatible.

Solved all of my flat problems by going tubeless. It is the best solution.
Does not do squat for a knife through the sidewall. Don't you ever lock your bike up at the destination? Is your bike not worth stealing? I saw a twenty something male riding a 20" kiddie bike down the street 4 days ago with no tire or tube on the back. That is pretty low.

Last edited:
Its not really cheap but its not too hard as long as your rims are tubeless ready. you may need new tires depending on what you have. but I doubt most bikes come with tubeless ready tires. then you need rim tape in the right width. I went with DT-swiss one of the best rated and easy to apply about 25.00 a roll then valves about 25.00 or less if you use off brands. then sealant I have started using peatys seems to work well so far. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B4WS1CNJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1
getting the bead can seat depends on so many factors. a few tires I had to end up putting a tube in then taking it out so one side of the tire is seated. others I just needed a air compressor the last two I did my makita air pump did it. so around 75.00 or so not including the tires to do it yourself.

I carry what I need to fix most flats. Tools, patch kits, spare tube, air. I haven't had a lot of flats lately. There aren't a lot of natural or man-made flat-causing things in the roads around here, and/or I've been lucky. I suppose if I were having flats a few times every month my attitude would be different, but I don't. When I have a flat, I fix it. If it's the rear tire, I'll see if I can fix it without taking the wheel off. I have a hub motor. If I have to take the wheel off, I do. It just does not seem like that big a deal to me. I have AAA but I can fix a flat and be on my way long before a AAA truck would even show up.

I have tubed tires that I overdose with Slime. I can't tell it's there as far as weight, etc., is concerned. I'm sure with the right scientific instruments you could prove it increases rolling resistance and maybe it takes a few meters off of my range, but I don't notice it. Anyway, tubeless tires are full of sealant too, so that argument for tubeless doesn't amount to anything. (No, they aren't FULL of sealant. I hope you know what i mean.)

TT

Back