Thoughts on Cafe Lock removal?

AvalancheRun

Region
USA
The cafe lock seems more like a liability than a benefit. The design choices are somewhat perplexing to me.

The key cannot be removed unless the cafe lock is engaged. It cannot be put on a key chain. The key also removes the battery, so you MUST engage the cafe lock when locking the bike.
It's easy to jostle the bike to where it puts a lot of pressure on the spokes. I could easily see a stranger doing this when attempting to lock their bike, since it's happened while simply locking my own bike in place.

Seems like a better design would put a clamp on the brake, or tire rim. I'm just not sold on this thing at all. Plan to remove it before it takes out a spoke.
Curious if anyone really likes this design / if I'm missing something. Really cool idea, but in practice this design seems bad.

Couldn’t agree more. Having the lock is fine, it does add a level of security and while it may damage spokes if someone attempted to steal it, the repair might be cheaper than losing the entire bike. However, not being able to remove the key is a flaw in my opinion. Don’t see the logic in that. Using the “lock motor” feature from the Flow app adds another level of security although I’m not sure what happens if your phone battery dies while riding. Have not attempted to remove it although while it is a bit of a pain, it does meet it’s intended purpose.

Personally, I like the cafe lock design. I never have to worry about forgetting my key at home when I go out for a ride. I bought and use the associated plug in AXA cable lock which is easy to carry in a saddle bag. One key, always available on the bike :)

Personally, I like the cafe lock design. I never have to worry about forgetting my key at home when I go out for a ride. I bought and use the associated plug in AXA cable lock which is easy to carry in a saddle bag. One key, always available on the bike :)
I love the idea of that cable lock too, but it’s probably not stopping anyone with a grinder, or even slowing them down much. 30 seconds and they’re gone.

I suppose if someone wanted to steal it bad enough it would be near impossible to prevent that whether they had an angle grinder, bolt cutters or just lift it in the back of a van or pickup truck. These devices only act as a deterrent to make them work for it.

I agree and use the AXA cable on my Gazelle Arroyo. I recognize that a determined thief with the right tools can easily defeat this lock. But I think the cafe lock with the cable is about as good of a deterrent as any other unless you go to something extreme. It is easy to use and always available.

I'm a fan of the cafe lock (which I'd never heard of before getting my Gazelle). It's always there, ready for an unplanned stop and as a supplement to a more substantial lock. It's immediately obvious if you try to move the bike with the lock still engaged (which I've done numerous times), there is no real danger of damage to the spokes. The design - key must be in the keyhole when the lock is not engaged - is perfect.

I'm a fan of the cafe lock (which I'd never heard of before getting my Gazelle). It's always there, ready for an unplanned stop and as a supplement to a more substantial lock. It's immediately obvious if you try to move the bike with the lock still engaged (which I've done numerous times), there is no real danger of damage to the spokes. The design - key must be in the keyhole when the lock is not engaged - is perfect.
Alright if people aren’t dealing with broken spokes, I’ll accept that as resolved. Loose key though doesn’t work for me. Maybe there is a way to cut the key so it comes out for use on a keychain.

I really do love the idea of a cafe lock, just not this implementation. For the price of the bike maybe they should have added an electronic lock that syncs with the Bosch system when using “phone as a key.”

I used the cable lock as well with the cafe lock. Very simple and only one key. My Gazelle came with 2 keys so I always have a spare. But with the design that the key stays in the lock until used, I never have to worry about not having the key.

Love cafe locks.
Just got an Abus cafe lock delivered (and it looks like it'll fit- saw different dimensions depending on site) and my old AXA chain fits!!!!

Some models offer non-retained key vs retained key. I prefer retained key so I don't have to search for the key and will be prompted to use it each and every time.

After waffling between installing on the front or rear wheel, decided on the rear wheel since the attachment points will be partially hidden by the fender/rear rack and can keep chain locked in and wrapped around seat post vs carrying in a bag (front wheel cafe lock).

Hi. When I was on a bike and barge from Bruges to Amsterdam, the bikes that belonged to the company each had a cafe lock. This way the company didn't have to worry about lost keys or locks. One caveat... One of the bikes was stolen. I don't know if it just wasn't locked.

The company that has the bike and barge was Rad Reisen. It's better and cheaper to book directly with the European company.

I have done 2 bike and barge trips. The first was from Bruges to Amsterdam, with a guide and only 13 riders.
The 2nd one was from Passau to Budapest and back to Passsu ( on the Danube) . There were walkers, bikers with a guide, and bikers without a guide. I would never go without a guide again. I think we missed out on a lot because we weren't sure how long we had and how long it would take to stop at a little village.

Back