I yeeted my AXA cafe lock

newts

Region
USA
I really didn't want to have to worry about the key, either having with me to bike or take it with me when I leave the bike. Having to leave the key in while riding is a big misfeature. If I use my cable lock and forget to take the key the someone could A) lock the bike and steal the key and B) lock the bike and steal the key AND THE BATTERY.

Overall though my use case is very small for this kind of lock. I can take an extra minute for my cable lock the few times I might have wanted the cafe lock.

FYI to remove it there's a cap on each side in back you can pop off to expose mounting screws. On the gazelle it wouldn't clear the fender to remove it until i used needle-nose to tear off a bit of the plastic from the back. You could take the fender off if you want to save the plastic but it is on the back and doesn't break the lock if I decide to put it back on. I put some nylon screws in the mounting holes to protect the threads.

...Having to leave the key in while riding is a big misfeature. If I use my cable lock and forget to take the key the someone could A) lock the bike and steal the key and B) lock the bike and steal the key AND THE BATTERY.
As long as you use it faithfully at rest stops, you'll never leave the key in the cafe lock, as you have to remove the key in order to set the lock.

I removed my lock too. Just had to let out some air from the rear tire and after removing the two attachment bolts, just kept moving it around until I got clearance enough from the fender to remove it. It always bugged me having to ride with the key in the lock. Live in a rural area and if I need to lock it in town I would just use my R&M lock or a cable lock.

Just this past weekend I ripped the plastic shell off it and threw the metal bits into the bucket to recycle. No going back now.

I like mine as well and purchased the AXA extension cable as well which connects to my current cafe lock. No complaints.

I like the cafe lock too. I bought the plug-in cable so I can secure the bike to a bike rack or post as an additional deterrent. So it is like having 2 locks with one key. I have worried about losing the key, but so far it has worked well for me (after owning my Gazelle Arroyo for 5 years).

Guess different situations have an effect on liking the lock or hating it.

Yeh it didn't fit my use case. I really didn't like that you had to have the key inserted to ride the bike and then you always had to take the key with you. It is the same key that removes the battery.

Back