Question re: locking bike and concern for vandalism

GuruUno

No simple easy answer, just putting it out there.
Whether using an Abus frame lock, an associated auxiliary cable or chain, or an independent next to impossible locking system (it doesn't exist, I know), because the integrated display is a primary system component to turn on the bike, start it, ride it, etc., my biggest concern is if ever, some weirdo or wacko decides to try to pry off the display, do I pedal a 50 lb. bike with no power to get back to my destination or call a tow truck?

Example: I am in a store, bike is locked, cannot be easily stolen, but someone can pry off the head/display unit immobilizing the system.

I guess no easy answer.

do I pedal a 50 lb. bike with no power to get back to my destination or call a tow truck?
Depends how easily your bike pedals and if it is uphill.

Our ~60# bikes (Gazelle C380) do not pedal bad without assistance as long is there is not a step hill in the way.

Whether using an Abus frame lock, an associated auxiliary cable or chain, or an independent next to impossible locking system (it doesn't exist, I know), because the integrated display is a primary system component to turn on the bike, start it, ride it, etc., my biggest concern is if ever, some weirdo or wacko decides to try to pry off the display, do I pedal a 50 lb. bike with no power to get back to my destination or call a tow truck?

Example: I am in a store, bike is locked, cannot be easily stolen, but someone can pry off the head/display unit immobilizing the system.

I guess no easy answer.
Bob,
Let me start with an anecdote, as usual :)

I was on my second bicycle in some 1985 (the previous bike was stolen). I fastened it with a good heavy chain and a strong padlock to steel staircase bannisters in the apartment block where my gf lived. A thief tried to remove the chain but failed. In an act of revenge, the bad man must have been smashing my bike with something heavy as my Romet Gazela was never the same bicycle again when I went back to collect the bike.

The moral of this is the thief would rather damage your e-bike if he could not steal it.

Now. Would I pedal a 50 lbs e-bike unpowered? I actually did it for 10 miles upwind back in 2019 when the dreaded BLOKS display on my Vado failed making the e-bike part useless. If something similar happened again then trust me -- with my improved fitness I gained thanks to riding e-bikes with gradually reduced assistance -- yes, I could pedal any of my e-bikes without any assistance to return home. I would clear all the overpasses en route. It would be different if I lived in high mountains but fortunately I do not :)

My motto is: "Let's worry about it later" :) Not before something wrong really happened :)

"They said we'd be artistically free
When we signed that bit of paper
They meant let's make a lotsa money
And worry about it later" :D

Last edited:
"Now. Would I pedal a 50 lbs e-bike unpowered? I actually did it for 10 miles upwind back in 2019"
I did 5 miles last year, not something I'd like to relive.

"Now. Would I pedal a 50 lbs e-bike unpowered? I actually did it for 10 miles upwind back in 2019"
I did 5 miles last year, not something I'd like to relive.
You see, it is a long long time when you believe you need to ride powered. Only when someone riding a traditional bicycle says "It is not normal to ride that fast" then you might convert :) I would hate riding my heavy Vado totally unpowered but I can do it on my Vado SL. Last evening, I had to ride for groceries in a torrential rain (I rode Vado SL). I gave up and switched the 35/35% assistance on. To my surprise, I could clear the overpass at 13 mph while I do it at 6.8 mph unpowered! :D

I am in a store, bike is locked, cannot be easily stolen, but someone can pry off the head/display unit immobilizing the system.

I guess no easy answer.
Walk the bicycle into the store If you’re where this is a concern and you can’t lock it where you can see it.

I’ve yet to have anyone say a thing.

Walk the bicycle into the store If you’re where this is a concern and you can’t lock it where you can see it.

I’ve yet to have anyone say a thing.
I did that when I went to the doctors office, brought it up to the 3rd floor on the elevator, building maintenance scolded me and warned not to ever do it again.
No winning.
I used to bring it into the gym, then was told I couldn't.
No winning.

Why can't manufacturers make their displays "plug and play", so we could just unplug that component and take it with us when we leave the bike, and reconnect easily when ready to ride again?

I did that when I went to the doctors office, brought it up to the 3rd floor on the elevator, building maintenance scolded me and warned not to ever do it again.
No winning.
No winning.
It is an automotive world. You're a pervert for riding a bicycle. You're supposed to have a HumVee with 7 L V-8. Burn those dinosaurs, who need tomorrow?
I own a e-bicycle that runs without a display. Not in the way when I flip it to change a tube. In 5 1/2 years, while locked up, I've had my tire slashed twice, my taillight stolen once, my toolbox stolen once. Screws (the wrong ones of 24) loosened on my battery twice. Nobody ever stole the pannier, spare tube, or tire. The seat & front wheel are NOT quick release. Got rid of both. Oh BTW geared hub motors pedal fine without electricity. Do it 60% of my distance summer, 100% winter when the battery stays in the garage. Specialized doesn't sell one.

Last edited:
I'm obviously older now but in my younger years we had the "legendary" Worksman beach cruiser. This super evil heavy bicycle was extra heavy in our day because the wheels were still steel. We rode these military grade beach cruisers everywhere. And I'm sure all of you remeber the Schwinn Sting Rays. They had some weight to them as well. I guess iriding a heavy bike can be done in modern times but I'd honestly have a stroke if I had to ride one for any serious distance!

No winning.
No winning.

I won’t claim to know your situations, but were I presented with those comments, I’d ask if they were going to guarantee the safety and security of my bicycle locked up outside.

then when they stammer about not having any guarantee, I’d say that’s why I have it with me.

I’d take a stand, force their hand. I’m not afraid to make a stink when some drone isn’t thinking things through. A bit of bad publicity can make a difference

I won’t claim to know your situations, but were I presented with those comments, I’d ask if they were going to guarantee the safety and security of my bicycle locked up outside.

then when they stammer about not having any guarantee, I’d say that’s why I have it with me.

I’d take a stand, force their hand. I’m not afraid to make a stink when some drone isn’t thinking things through. A bit of bad publicity can make a difference
Oh I make stink alright, I get shamed, banned, but there is really minimal acceptance for us bike owners to have a secure place to,leave them without worry. Just another layer of stress to daily life.

Why can't manufacturers make their displays "plug and play", so we could just unplug that component and take it with us when we leave the bike, and reconnect easily when ready to ride again?
That's how the Nyon display on my Bosch works. Takes about 2 seconds to pull it off the mount if I'm walking away from the bike. You can opt to screw it in to the mount, but I worry that it would get damaged if some idiot tries to pry it off as GuruUno mentioned.

I guess no easy answer.
The display isn't the only thing a vandal can damage. A boot kick to the spokes or a knife to the tires can disable the bike completely. No sense in worrying about all the possibilities.

All you can do is park the bike in the safest place possible and hope for the best.

I had a similar concern about leaving my bike. Even though the bike is locked. I was worried that some asshole kid would come up and turn the display on, then they would try the throttle. This would create some havoc with a locked tire. I set a password on my display, but when the bike first powers on the throttle is active. So the password was really only to stop someone from changing settings.

I now have wired in a key switch. This switch intercepts the voltage to the display. I remove the key and lock my bike when I park somewhere. I don’t even try to bring the bike into businesses because I know I’ll be asked to park it outside. I lock my bike to anything metal and stationary.

very few businesses in densely populated areas allow people to bring bicycles inside, period. most likely are quick service food places where you might be able to lean it against the storefront slightly out of the way, least likely, by far, are places like grocery stores or basically any kind of major retail with aisles, registers, etc.

the safety and security of someone else's property locked on public property is really not their responsibility.

Back