Thule Lock(s) Problems. Suggestions?

mfgrep

Region
USA
I found a new, never used, still in the Box Thule T1 hitch mount platform bike rack for $200. It is a one bike rack.....but the price is right....it is lightweight...perfect for me.

Problem: The provided two lock cylinders and key(s) which include a master key. I can install the cylinders, however, the keys WILL NOT activate the lock. I have tried WD-40....wiggle....in/out....multiple multiple times.

I know that this rack was sitting new in the box in the guy's garage for 2 years. Corrosion? (they look perfect and were in a sealed bag). Suggestions?

Well I cannot get either lock cylinder to work with either key. The master key and both cylinder specific keys behave as if they are incorrectly matched. They easily slide in but will not turn to lock/unlock the cylinder.
I called Thule Customer Service and they are mailing me two new cylinders and fresh keys. I was honest about how I came about the rack....and they were able/willing to provide. All good.

Well I cannot get either lock cylinder to work with either key. The master key and both cylinder specific keys behave as if they are incorrectly matched. They easily slide in but will not turn to lock/unlock the cylinder.
I called Thule Customer Service and they are mailing me two new cylinders and fresh keys. I was honest about how I came about the rack....and they were able/willing to provide. All good.
I have several keys/lock cylinders and sometimes lose track of which keys fit the appropriate lock. A bit of a stretch but perhaps the previous owner mistakenly included the wrong keys. Glad to know that Thule sorted things out for you.

I have several keys/lock cylinders and sometimes lose track of which keys fit the appropriate lock. A bit of a stretch but perhaps the previous owner mistakenly included the wrong keys. Glad to know that Thule sorted things out for you.
This was new in the box never opened. I cut the box straps myself to open the (damaged) box. The keys/cylinders were inside the box and in a sealed bag. I cut the bag open with a scissors myself.
All that I can figure is that either (a) corrosion despite no appearance of any corrosion or (b) mismatched keys/cylinders from the factory.

Last edited:
Usually there is a small number stamped on the key and the cylinder.
Yes, but only before or after a certain date. My cylinders have no number on them but my keys do.

All in all....I love the rack for $200. Very stable and easy to load/unload. I was considering the RockyMounts Monorail solo but am much happier to have found this old NIB Thule T1.

Last edited:
Back