New SL 1.2 motor revealed

Calcoaster

Region
USA
I’ve been following an e mountain bike forum for early news about the SL updates and multiple people posted today with leaked specs for the new Levo SL. Since the current Levo SL uses the same motor as the Vado SL and creo, it seems safe ti assume this next gen. will as well. The new motor is 320 watts and 50nm torque. The ad copy says “whisper quiet” but I’ve seen the same term applied to the current 1.1, so I’ll wait for reviewers to actually ride the bike before getting my hopes up. The official release date for the Levo SL is said to be May 5 and some of the leaked web links to the new bike have already been taken down.

Did you notice the voltage? It has dropped from 48v of the current 1.1 to 36V so not fully convinced this is genuine. That said, the Creo / Levo SL is due the replacement

Did you notice the voltage? It has dropped from 48v of the current 1.1 to 36V so not fully convinced this is genuine. That said, the Creo / Levo SL is due the replacement
Yeah, that seems to be a typo/mistake. Other docs that have been taken down said 48 volts.

Sure, it makes sense for the whole SL lineup to get the new motor.

Only question is when.

My guess would be a phased or differentiated rollout. e.g. perhaps the 5.0 models first see the new motor with the other models keeping the existing 1.1 for a while.

According to him, the Rep said sometime in May I was debating getting a Tero X 6 as a 2nd bike, but I may trade up to the SL instead. I'm curious to see what the 50nm motor feels like

I'll be more curious what it sounds like. :p

I saw mention of 320W power, not clear if that was mixed up with battery capacity. If correct though, then that'd be a 33% increase from the existing 240W power. Haven't seen anything about assist level and whether it'll increase from 1.8x.

To guess, I suspect riders will notice increased power/assist -- but perhaps not as much as the published 35Nm to 50Nm torque increase might lead them to expect.

We shall see!

Last edited:
To guess, I suspect riders will notice increased power/assist -- but perhaps not as much as the published 35Nm to 50Nm torque increase might lead them to expect.
I cannot buy a new SL e-bike. However, my opinion is the current SL models were missing the high power end a little. I would be well off if the older SL motor had something like 110% of maximum assistance! (That would be equivalent to my 55% SPORT assistance on Vado 6.0).

Now the question is, if the new motor will fit in a Gen 1 bike :) and could an LBS get their hands on one to purchase. Assuming the BMS is all the same. Might need a new TCU though? Knowing Specialized, they probably moved the motor mount 6mm just to prevent this line of thinking :D

Now the question is, if the new motor will fit in a Gen 1 bike :) and could an LBS get their hands on one to purchase. Assuming the BMS is all the same. Might need a new TCU though? Knowing Specialized, they probably moved the motor mount 6mm just to prevent this line of thinking :D
Specialized has never been interested in upgrading legacy e-bikes. They need new e-bike sales!

I
I did see a rumour that the motor will be the same mounting and interchangeable. The wiring loom must be similar to use the same battery and range extender an charge port door looks the same. Uses Mastermind TCU. The pictures of just the motor, the mount holes look similar.
1683223356839.png

Just found this -

The new engine: Specialized SL 1.2 – quieter, stronger, more economical​

The new engine is called SL 1.2 and at first glance looks almost like the old one. The dimensions are identical. A slightly differently shaped case can only be seen at second glance. Quite as elegant as the Bavarian competition from Fazua and TQ, the SL 1.2 does not nestle into the frames of the bikes.

Use Google Translate on this site....https://www.bike-magazin.de/mountainbike/all-mountain/specialized-levo-sl-gen2-gamechanger-reloaded-mehr-power-und-mehr-potential/

Back