How I was treated by Rize Bikes

James F. Smith

Region
Canada
I recently ordered a Rize RX-Pro with every option from them $4,500 plus Tax.
I paid upfront via E-Transfer and delayed the completion of the transaction until the weather was decent here in Calgary.
I finally completed the transaction as was given a Fedex tracking number, I was so excited I couldn't sleep the night before delivery.
Prior to deciding on which bike and company I spent a month since X-Mas researching specs, options and the location of the company.
I chose Rize based upon the glossy video of the bike and the instruction for building the bike once it arrived. They were also just a province away.
The assembly instruction video shows a box in new condition, with 4 fiber straps and a large number of heavy industrial staples. I paid very close attention to everything.
Fedex delivered a box which had crush damage on every surface and was held together with 2 fiber straps and NO STAPLES.
This box showed such wear from bikes loaded in and out it was basically worn out..
I unfortunately signed for the box thinking it would be a rather easy task for Rize to take care of me.
Rize has denied responsibility for the damage and suggest it is a shipping problem.
The bike had a massive dent in the rear fender, scratches in the paint and all of the cabling from the controller inside the bike had been pulled out of the frame.
Rize Bikes offered a $200 credit and a new fender or replacement of bike.
A pittance compared what it would actually cost to repair ($750 to $1,000 CDN).
I chose replacement and am awaiting a new bike
I feel that the Internet world needed this information, RIZE BIKES are a fraudulent bunch of a-holes.
Do not sign anything if your bike arrives with any shipping damage, or else you become responsible for everything.
I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than have to deal with these lying vermin.
Now here I wait for a bike I don't trust with basically no warranty.
Feel free to contact me as I have about 65 pictures and all the Reponses from Rize that I would like to share..
James F. Smith Calgary, [email protected]
BEWARE RIZE BIKES...MARCH 2023.. SCAM ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They were responsible for preparing the bike for shipment, didn`t do anything to prepare. The box was wide open. and left me to deal with it. Nice having to go out to my unheated shed and spend an hour at -20c to pack for shipping. I want to deal with companies and people who aren`t full of crap and excuses who take no responsibility for the product. If I knew going in what I know now I would have bought the Volt Bike from a dealer 10 minutes from my home.

I suggest you only purchase from a local bicycle shop if working on your eBike in your shed is a hardship. ALL eBikes need a quick tune up after about 100 miles anyway. You blame Rize for shipping damage? You didn't expect white glove service did you? Maybe you did. If you did, you ignored shipping rants during your research. You must not get many packages delivered. When a box arrives like that you immediately reject it. Don't touch it and make sure you take lots of pictures. Most of these kind of rants come out with a big list of gripes like you have, but in your case the major fault lies on you for accepting a crushed box, and it stings. Hell, bikes that come like that can have bent forks or more. I ordered a Fat Tad tricycle. The truck driver just asked me to sign the form for damaged shipment. He wouldn't even take it off the truck, so he was one step ahead of me. All of the other 5 eBikes I bought over the last 7 years were picked up at a bicycle shop.

BTW This was not an accident or a shipping mistake. These cats decided to give the brown banana to old James .. The Fedex driver who picked up the damaged bike- box said to me in no uncertain terms.. That's no new bike.. No way can that much age and damage in a short 1000km trip in 3 days.. If this thread and message saves 1 senior like me from this treatment, my journey has at least some meaning.. I have pictures and e-mails of everything.. I knew enough to only deal via e-mail and to get all peril insurance before it was shipped.. The staff were hiding behind the internet and the Que etc etc.. I hope the next que they worry about is from Employment Canada Insurance.

I could see buying a cheaper bike on-line, but when I realized I was in the $3500 - $4500+ price range (and buying two of them) it was LBS only for me. I wanted to see the actual bike, feel it, inspect it, make sure it was right for me, all that. But then my LBS is 20 miles away (several of them actually) and there is no snow between here and there. If I lived in Calgary things would be different. But I spent my 20 years at 4500’ on the Sierras and that was enough for me. -20° in a shed? I’d be irritated too.

Uh, they offered a replacement bike. What more should they do?
properly pack and ship?
it’s easy to step back and be smug when it’s not your dime.
typically I’m critical of factory direct complaints, but proper pack and ship is basic. No excuse. Been there too, sorry fella! Hopefully the OP be riding with that painful grin you just can’t wipe off very soon.

EMPATHY something I struggle with too, but I’m working on it.

“the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
"he has a total lack of empathy for anybody"

Last edited:
I hate to sound harsh but apparently you haven’t had a lot of stuff delivered. I’ve had stuff delivered that looked like it was drug behind the truck the entire way. I have little doubt they could tear it up in shipping. Of course the shipper need to take that into account. I had something delivered that was large, heavy and kind of delicate. The company’s handling and shipping on this item was $85. I thought that was too high but after I got the item I realized why, it was packaged very well with custom foam inserts.

My troubles have nothing to do with how it was shipped.
I have lots of stuff delivered, but they don`t cost $4500 + Rize Bikes did not prepare this bike for shipment.
Pictures don`t lie..

My troubles have nothing to do with how it was shipped.
I have lots of stuff delivered, but they don`t cost $4500 + Rize Bikes did not prepare this bike for shipment.
Pictures don`t lie..
All due respect, but all your pictures are worthless when establishing how that package looked when it left the Rize warehouse.....

Taking a delivery driver's word for it, who VERY likely didn't get your package loaded on his truck directly from that facility, might be a stretch of the imagination for many of us.

Clearly they've tried making your business right, regardless of what it looked like when it left their facility. Please consider that if they made a habit out of shipping product as you claim they did (in anything less than perfect condition), rather than the condition you and your pictures you talk about describe, Rize would very likely not be around right now, no? I'm pretty sure there are a LOT of folks, myself included, that are VERY happy with their Rize purchase(s).

This in mind, you've stated your case clearly. Let's move on shall we? There's no scam here in my mind..... a victim of a lousy set of circumstances maybe, but certainly no scam....

I tried having Rize send me a picture of the replacement bike and was told that is not part of what they do.. Think about it.

I tried having Rize send me a picture of the replacement bike and was told that is not part of what they do.. Think about it.
After just a couple seconds thought, my idea, as it sounds like you've totally lost confidence in them, would be to take advantage of their return policy and call it a day. How's that sound?

Too late
I have hired the local bike shop to receive my replacement bike.
This is the shop that sells Volt bikes.. I met him on the day his shop opened and went back a few times. I even told him I was sorry but I didn't choose his bike. He will protect my investment. His name is Aali www. Wire and wheel.com

Quick update.
I tried to have shipping destination changed today and was unable to Fedex said it had to be me.
I was a Dr. Appointment early and didn`t get home and there was a garbled message. The tracking number via Rize e-mail provided for delivery at 4:04 AM this morning said box was out for delivery was for the shipment picked from my house last Thursday. .Fun City

Update;
Fedex delivered another damaged poorly prepared box this morning at 10.
This time I refused the shipment.
Rize Bikes have denied problems and are generally a dud.
BEWARE RIZE BIKES
I am going to buy another bike today from a local bike shop.
I am going to keep my head up, and will keep standing up to the BULLIES AT RIZE BIKES

I recently ordered a Rize RX-Pro with every option from them $4,500 plus Tax.
I paid upfront via E-Transfer and delayed the completion of the transaction until the weather was decent here in Calgary.
I finally completed the transaction as was given a Fedex tracking number, I was so excited I couldn't sleep the night before delivery.
Prior to deciding on which bike and company I spent a month since X-Mas researching specs, options and the location of the company.
I chose Rize based upon the glossy video of the bike and the instruction for building the bike once it arrived. They were also just a province away.
The assembly instruction video shows a box in new condition, with 4 fiber straps and a large number of heavy industrial staples. I paid very close attention to everything.
Fedex delivered a box which had crush damage on every surface and was held together with 2 fiber straps and NO STAPLES.
This box showed such wear from bikes loaded in and out it was basically worn out..
I unfortunately signed for the box thinking it would be a rather easy task for Rize to take care of me.
Rize has denied responsibility for the damage and suggest it is a shipping problem.
The bike had a massive dent in the rear fender, scratches in the paint and all of the cabling from the controller inside the bike had been pulled out of the frame.
Rize Bikes offered a $200 credit and a new fender or replacement of bike.
A pittance compared what it would actually cost to repair ($750 to $1,000 CDN).
I chose replacement and am awaiting a new bike
I feel that the Internet world needed this information, RIZE BIKES are a fraudulent bunch of a-holes.
Do not sign anything if your bike arrives with any shipping damage, or else you become responsible for everything.
I would rather have a root canal without anesthetic than have to deal with these lying vermin.
Now here I wait for a bike I don't trust with basically no warranty.
Feel free to contact me as I have about 65 pictures and all the Reponses from Rize that I would like to share..
James F. Smith Calgary, [email protected]
BEWARE RIZE BIKES...MARCH 2023.. SCAM ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wait till you get the new bike and receive even more problems then the first lol. Welcome to rize bikes.

Wait till you get the new bike and receive even more problems then the first lol. Welcome to rize bikes.
I encountered a similar issue with delivery. On two occasions, the same FedEx delivery person, a young and seemingly less physically capable individual, was unable to unload the bike from the truck without assistance, leading me to wonder about the handling of such packages in my absence. This delivery challenge, however, pales in comparison to my experiences with the bike itself. The Rize bike, despite its powerful Bafang M620 motor, is fitted with components that don't match in quality, resulting in significant additional expenses for me.

Last edited:
Back