THIS RIZE IS NOT PRIZE

FONIV

Region
USA
This was my wife’s prize for being a good husband for 30 years.
The Bolt X was delivered on time. That is the only positive part of the whole experience. In spite of several messages to FEDEX urging them to text me 30 minutes before delivery suddenly I see these two guy depositing the box VERTICALLY in the middle of my patio on a rainy day and without ringing the bell first.
The box had two major holes and all the metal clips were undone being kept close by two frayed straps.
The bike was well packed except they left the right brake lever completely exposed rubbing against the main frame and leaving about one square inch of paint scratched to the metal. This bike is huge and incredibly heavy and there is no way that I can fold it and put it in my car as I intended to.
After charging the battery and a 15 miles test ride I have the following comments to make:

• the frame welding is appalling with lumps and blobs all over surely done by an apprentice welder with shaky hands.
  • the seat is a primitive slab of hard rubber with no tilt adjustment ( I found out later that the two parts providing the tilt were painted over and stuck together)
  • The motor cannot be switched off with the battery key
  • The derailleur arrived completely unadjusted, if I back pedaled in first gear the chain would jump to fourth gear
  • The derailleur body is not protected by a U cage as is customary in all folding bikes.
  • The brakes squeak all the time no matter how one cleans the rotors, evidently due to cheap pads but stop the bike quickly.
  • The Bafang motor and transmission are so noisy to make it impossible to listen to music with your headset when riding.
  • The start with full assist (no pedals) is so violent to cause the bike to do a “wheelie” very dangerous when near cars at traffic lights.
  • The pedals folding part is very stiff and impossible to fold with one hand.
  • The battery after 15 miles is down to 65%
  • The display in black and grey is small and basic using cryptic symbols and no option to change power to each PAS step.
  • No rear suspension. The front fork is not air or hydraulic, just a spring in a tube with no rebound check and little dump control.
  • The seat post is 30.6 mm and the frame tube 30.9. The locking bracket has to be closed with great force, the seat dropped down to the bottom several times while riding. Very dangerous.
  • The wheels, spokes and tires look good
  • The front and back lights are good
  • The handlebars and frame folding mechanism are strong and well made
  • I miss a rear suspension and found necessary to spend an extra $150 to purchase a seat suspension kit.
  • I supplied Rize photos to substantiate my criticisms
  • The company after I sent a few negative comments and asking for support have decided to “cancel”me by ignoring my mails and phone calls. I chose to buy from a Canadian company thinking I would deal with professional people, I should have stayed with the Chinese.
This bike with added tax cost $2251, one could buy TWO better folding bikes with that money

Being as unhappy as you are with the bike, why didn't you return it?

As far as being delivered out of adjustment, most folks are pretty clear about whose responsibility it is to do the prep/pre delivery. That's on you or somebody that you pay to do it for you.

Nice, no forum presence except to pitch a bitch. I am so tired of these posts. What do these OPs think the forum will do?

I'm betting that most of these 20" wheeled fad ebikes will be junk in two years.

I get the feeling you expected the quality components of a $5000 eBike for half price. Many of your complaints are so common on all bicycles, that there are lots and lots of videos on youtube to correct them. With your dissatisfaction numbers far outweighing the positive, why on earth haven't you returned it? I suppose you will now contact the company expecting super service since you bashed them on the internet and likely more than one place. I get the feeling you will never be happy with this ebike. So sell it or return it.

It's probably a mistake to respond to a thread like this but:
-Bike weight is clearly stated on their web site
-Not all folding bikes have derailleur guards (I have two Dahon and another brand, none have a guards)
-Range is very individual but they state 45 miles "* Range may vary and fluctuate depending on several factors - most notably the weight of the user, steepness, terrain, extent of power assist, and throttle use." So 15 miles using 35% of capacity sounds in line with their claims.
-Seat preference is individual, Rize lists a typical "comfort" type seat.
-etc., etc., etc.

The complaints you have should have been obvious before purchase, or at least when you received the bike, why didn't you return it within the 14 day window
Prove me wrong but you sound like a typical "one post new member" here only to bash/complain. Rize might be thinking that no matter what they do you aren't going to be happy anyway, so why bother.

Being as unhappy as you are with the bike, why didn't you return it?

As far as being delivered out of adjustment, most folks are pretty clear about whose responsibility it is to do the prep/pre delivery. That's on you or somebody that you pay to do it for you.

I tried my best. First they ignored my complaints then they said most of the faults were acceptable and, like the noisy motor, quite normal in all eBikes. I offered to box and ship the bike in original conditions back to their distribution center at my expense and for weeks I received no reply.
Finally I proposed to swap it for the Rize RX and pay the neatly $1500 difference. They replied that they would refer the matter to their Board of Directors. After after some time this was their reply:
“Unfortunately, we won't be able to approve a swap. I have asked our supplier to review the video that you sent in and they believe the motor is fully functional, so we won't be able to provide a replacement. Have you tried lubricating the motor to see if the sound improves? Please watch this video on How to Open a Hub Motor for instructions. At around the 5-minute mark, Craig shows you how to lubricate the gears. Please let us know if you have any other questions. I hope you have a good rest of the day.”

The Bolt X was delivered on time. That is the only positive part of the whole experience. In spite of several messages to FEDEX urging them to text me 30 minutes before delivery suddenly I see these two guy depositing the box VERTICALLY in the middle of my patio on a rainy day and without ringing the bell first.
The box had two major holes and all the metal clips were undone being kept close by two frayed straps.
The bike was well packed except they left the right brake lever completely exposed rubbing against the main frame and leaving about one square inch of paint scratched to the metal. This bike is huge and incredibly heavy and there is no way that I can fold it and put it in my car as I intended to.
After charging the battery and a 15 miles test ride I have the following comments to make:

• the frame welding is appalling with lumps and blobs all over surely done by an apprentice welder with shaky hands.
  • the seat is a primitive slab of hard rubber with no tilt adjustment ( I found out later that the two parts providing the tilt were painted over and stuck together)
  • The derailleur arrived completely unadjusted, if I back pedaled in first gear the chain would jump to fourth gear
  • The derailleur body is not protected by a U cage as is customary in all folding bikes.
  • The brakes squeak all the time no matter how one cleans the rotors, evidently due to cheap pads but stop the bike quickly.
  • The Bafang motor and transmission are so noisy to make it impossible to listen to music with your headset when riding.
  • The start with full assist (no pedals) is so violent to cause the bike to do a “wheelie” very dangerous when near cars at traffic lights.
  • The display in black and grey is small and basic using cryptic symbols and no option to change power to each PAS step.
  • No rear suspension. The front fork is not air or hydraulic, just a spring in a tube with no rebound check and little dump control.
  • The seat post is 30.6 mm and the frame tube 30.9. The locking bracket has to be closed with great force, the seat dropped down to the bottom several times while riding. Very dangerous.
  • I miss a rear suspension and found necessary to spend an extra $150 to purchase a seat suspension kit.
  • The company after I sent a few negative comments and asking for support have decided to “cancel”me by ignoring my mails and phone calls. I chose to buy from a Canadian company thinking I would deal with professional people, I should have stayed with the Chinese.
This bike with added tax cost $2251, one could buy TWO better folding bikes with that money
The OP has been really criticized here. I would be pissed as well.

I tried my best. First they ignored my complaints then they said most of the faults were acceptable and, like the noisy motor, quite normal in all eBikes. I offered to box and ship the bike in original conditions back to their distribution center at my expense and for weeks I received no reply.
Finally I proposed to swap it for the Rize RX and pay the neatly $1500 difference. They replied that they would refer the matter to their Board of Directors. After after some time this was their reply:
“Unfortunately, we won't be able to approve a swap. I have asked our supplier to review the video that you sent in and they believe the motor is fully functional, so we won't be able to provide a replacement. Have you tried lubricating the motor to see if the sound improves? Please watch this video on How to Open a Hub Motor for instructions. At around the 5-minute mark, Craig shows you how to lubricate the gears. Please let us know if you have any other questions. I hope you have a good rest of the day.”
You're pretty sure the noise you hear is the motor? I ask as generally they are nearly silent.

You have the derailleur adjustment under control, shifting smoothly?

Regarding the brakes, a LOT of people have trouble getting these right. It's often much easier to install softer, non metallic pads. Cost is less than 20 bucks. They're much easier to get to run quietly, and there's little downside to running them.

You're pretty sure the noise you hear is the motor? I ask as generally they are nearly silent.

You have the derailleur adjustment under control, shifting smoothly?

Regarding the brakes, a LOT of people have trouble getting these right. It's often much easier to install softer, non metallic pads. Cost is less than 20 bucks. They're much easier to get to run quietly, and there's little downside to running them.
What else? The noise is only present when I turn the motor on and gets worse when I accelerate and climbing under load. The brakes are getting better after three months use.
The derailleur has been fixed.

Nice, no forum presence except to pitch a bitch. I am so tired of these posts. What do these OPs think the forum will do?

I'm betting that most of these 20" wheeled fad ebikes will be junk in two years.
If writing a small review type post pointing out some faults is “pitching a bitch” then they should amend the rules stating that only complimentary posts are allowed. I thought that telling my experience with Rize would be useful to prospective buyers

I websearch logic.
Buy another ebike and donate your rize to salvation army.
They can make it work 💪
Do you normally donate a $2250 worth of bike to the Salvation Army? If that is the case I will enroll tomorrow.

Well...that sucks to hear but I don't think there is really any doubt that these bikes and many others are Chinese built and calling it Canadian is simply where the company that has them built for them is based out of. In Canada alone there are any number of Chinese produced bikes that are Canadian branded.
Any amount of homework done on this site would have revealed that. Now, RIZE bikes are not inexpensive, so maybe it doesn't quite apply here, but a lot of these offshore bikes are priced low for good reason and those who aren't willing to spend what it takes to get a half decent bike end up unhappy. The world is full of people who just don't understand the difference between getting a quality item and paying the price for it, versus going cheap and getting a lesser product. Back in the day, lots of people bought Hyundai Ponys thinking that's all they had to pay to get a car. Look how that worked out. CN

At this point, 3 months after delivery, it doesn't sound like you're getting a refund. As far as that goes, knowing first hand that Rize has been responsive any time I talked with them, I'd like to hear their side of this story.......

That said, I'd like to know if you plan on fixing the issues you aren't happy with (making the best of it), or are you going to continue using it as is, while complaining the whole time about the raw deal you received?

So a customer that gets a lemon is at fault and the company has no responsability. That is logic for you.
Im not really seeing a lemon, im seeing a customer who did little to no research on Rize Bike or E-Bikes in general.
In all that writing in the OP i can find maybe one "possible" legit issue with paint damage.
I kinda feel bad for the bike company in this situation and that is rare.

He sent images/video to Rize but nothing attached to this thread to show sloppy welds, reported paint scratch. Videos with sound are hard to evaluate but since motor noise along with paint scratch seem to be the only legitimate (or possibly legitimate in case of motor noise) defect issues why are they not included in the post? Everything else shows lack of any diligence in the purchase and simple buyer's remorse. Rize is expected to accept a return on a used bike of little or no value/use to them for credit on a different bike outside of their stated return policy, who would do that? Plus what if the buyer was equally dissatisfied with a Rize RX, which is a totally different type of bike? OP doesn't sound like a good candidate for a direct to consumer online bike purchase and should consider buying from a local source where he can see and test a bike in person and where set up and service can be provided for him.

That said, I'd like to know if you plan on fixing the issues you aren't happy with
Precisely why these threads stink. Having seen the sort of issues California eBike had, like complaining we called during a funeral, like we should keep track of national obituaries, or refused to warranty a controller returned with all new connectors...so a claim was made with PayPal and Doug ate a couple hundred in parts in the same order... I'm convinced that in most cases there's definitely more to the story. And now three months later it's a forum bash, right!

Back