Hitch bike rack - Gazelle Ultimate C8/C380

mikemdd

Region
USA
I'm having issues finding a bike rack (hitch) that will work with a Gazelle Ultimate C8 and C380 in the LOW-STEP configuration. Most all hitches support the bike using the upper or mid frame bars. With the LOW-STEP there is no connection point. It will be used with a 2022 Mercedes AMG 450 63S vehicle. I contacted Yakama and they said none of their hitches will work with these bikes (no frame bar and fenders). I have contacted Thule and waiting for a response. Any help would be appreciated.

Thule sells a bike rack cross bar adapter which clamps around the seat post under the seat and around the handle bar stem under the handlebars. I have used it and works well.

Well, just purchased an Ultimate C380 for myself and an Ultimate C8 for my wife, along with the Kuat Piston Pro X bike rack. Should pick everything up in a week or so. Kuat says these bikes will work perfectly on their Piston Pro rack. In fact, they display a Gazelle bike on their rack in some promotional pieces and videos. Pretty excited for sure.

Well, just purchased an Ultimate C380 for myself and an Ultimate C8 for my wife, along with the Kuat Piston Pro X bike rack. Should pick everything up in a week or so. Kuat says these bikes will work perfectly on their Piston Pro rack. In fact, they display a Gazelle bike on their rack in some promotional pieces and videos. Pretty excited for sure.
How did the Kuat Piston Pro accomodate for the fenders? Is it working well? we have 2 Gazelle Easy Flow bikes that we are looking to travel with.

How did the Kuat Piston Pro accomodate for the fenders? Is it working well? we have 2 Gazelle Easy Flow bikes that we are looking to travel with.
This is the only rack that would accommodate the step through frame and fenders on my Gazelles. I like it because it is simple to secure the bikes with no potential damage to the bikes at the attachment points used by other vendors. The front fenders are far enough back that the locking mechanism on the front wheel is not impacted at all on the front. The Kuat rear has an adjustment for the fender but still locks onto the tire. You just need to use a small velcro strap between the clamp and the tire. We carry 2 Gazelle bikes and they are very solid on the mounts. The only thing that was a "surprise" was that the rack uses the trailer socket to get power for the tail light in the rack. Very cool. However.......when you have it plugged in, the side assist feature on my car does not work as it thinks I have a trailer attached. Clearly, this light feature is something I will never use as the side assist is way too important of a safety feature. Not sure of your Gazelle bike models, but the Kuat is perfect for mine. Hope this helps.

The Thule easy fold will most likely work. The clamping system is in the middle and can be rotated to grab just about anywhere on the middle of the bike. It also has straps that grab the very bottom of the rims and ratchet down. The only bad part is they are pricy.

The Thule easy fold will most likely work. The clamping system is in the middle and can be rotated to grab just about anywhere on the middle of the bike. It also has straps that grab the very bottom of the rims and ratchet down. The only bad part is they are pricy.
I having looking very closely at the Easy Fold but it is only an 11/4 hitch. I will be putting this rack on my RV for a longer distance and want to make sure it is storng enough

I having looking very closely at the Easy Fold but it is only an 11/4 hitch. I will be putting this rack on my RV for a longer distance and want to make sure it is storng enough
We carry our two Gazelle C380's with the Easy Fold and it is well built and strong, no problem with the hitch size (I'm in engineering and am usually quite critical of design). It works really well with our low step bikes. You might want to order the Curt stick on LED tail-light kits as the North American version of the Easy Fold dont come with lights even though the European version does.

I added an LED strip to my Easy Fold so I have lights on it.

Whats on your RV? A larger hitch or smaller? They do make adapters.

We purchased a Thule T2 Classic dual bike rack with a 2" truck receiver. Carries my low step Gazelle Ultimate C380+ beautifully. Solid, sturdy, no wiggles. I use my plastic mounting block (for mounting horses) to stand on to expend the least amount of effort into lifting the bike high enough to easily settle into the cupped wheel holder in front.

The bike is tightly and securely held by the lockable arm that hooks over and captures the front wheel. We provide extra security with straps around the bike body secured to cargo hooks in the truck's bed.

Another option could be the 1Up. I wouldn't trust a cross bar adaptor to support an electric bike.

IMG_5342.jpeg

I own a 1-UP Super-Duty Double. It's OK, not great.

Looking at the video above, the Kuat seems much more refined. The 1-Up has a notched rail for the locking, and you have to push on the wheel arm inwards (tighter) in order to be able to lift the red-armed release lever. On the Kuat you punch the release, which may not be super-easy, but seems easier and cleaner than the 1-Up.

I do wonder, however, about three things with the Kuat:
  1. The overall height of the platforms seems high. That may mean you have to lift the bikes up a lot to get them on.
  2. The two platforms of the Kuat are at the same height. On the 1-Up, each platform is a bit higher than the previous. I think that offset helps avoid bike to bike interference.
  3. The Kuat's weight limit is 67 lbs per bike. Some/many eBikes are heavier than that. The 1-Up supports up to 75 lbs per bike.
Note that 1-Up at 47 lbs is lighter than the Kuat Piston Pro X at 64 lbs.

But, I'm still not in love with my 1-Up. The toothed racks feel prone to wear and the whole setup feels like it was designed and built by someone in a small shop, whereas the Kuat has parts that seem tailor-made for their requirements.

A lot depends on whether you're carrying more than one bike. I only use the single and it's on my car most of the time. When not carrying a bike it's very discrete and doesn't look like some laundry rack hanging off the back of the car unless additional platforms have been added. It was the only option I found that wasn't overkill for a single bike and gave me the option to add to if required. My original point was that I didn't think using a cross bar adaptor was a good idea with an ebike. Any platform rack would be a better choice.

Just adding for future reference, but I use a RockyMounts Backstage Swing Away which doesn't use a cross-bar aprpoach for the bikes.. It has the tire "clamp" and then wheel straps. Haven't purchased the C380+ yet (getting close) but I use it with a fat tire e-bike that was 80+ lbs and it's fine.

While testing racks isn't always possible you should be about watch videos on most being used. Quicker and easier it is fit rack and then bike more likely you are going to use it.

We done 1000s miles and dozens of trips with Thule Easyfold carrying two ebikes. While expensive is very quick to fit to towball along with bikes and lock. While I wouldn't trust clamp locks for long term security unattended, they are great for travelling. Best add cable lock and cover for overnite storage. The other great thing about Easyfold is folding for storage and carrying. Only size of large suitcase so can be place in corner garage, boot of car or in motel room when travelling.

Make sure you use pin with lock for hitch pin. No point in locking bikes to rack and towbar for theives to take lot by remove simple hitch pin.

In regards to security when travelling, I try and reverse hard up against wall of hedge so access is very difficult for theives. Also use cover to keep rain off and not let people known you have expensive bike on back. Remove batteries, may not stop bikes being stolen but at least they are lot harder for theives to sell and you have spare battery for your replacement bike.

Last edited:
Hi, Can you tell me the belt size of the C8? Do you still have the original chainset(
carbon gate set), 55t/22t?

Anyone tried the costco rack? Price is good, reviews are good. 2" receiver. I was leaning toward this one since it holds the bike frame and I didn't think a wheel clamp would work with the fenders. But it sounds like the Thule and Kuat wheel clamps don't interfere with the fenders.
1698260195025.png

We recently bought our first e-bikes, an Ultimate C380 and Arroyo C5. In searching for bike racks that were rated for use on travel trailers and could carry two roughly 50 pound bikes, I decided on the 1UP Super Duty Double. My trailer hitch on both the trailer and my SUV are fairly high, and we're both short, so I added the long ramp to my order. I also got one Fat Tire Adaptor Kit, and mounted one to each bike rack where the rear tire would be. This accommodates the fender stays. I got the foam cushion, which works okay on the C380's aluminum fender, but deformed the C5's plastic fender. But once I added the fat tire kit, the wider aluminum tire clamp is able to slip between the fender and the tire, securely locking the bike in place.

It took a while of back and forth, and I could have saved some money if I knew up front what would work. I originally ordered the short ramp, and had to swap that for the long version. I originally ordered the matching four wheel locks, but then after later adding the fat tire kit, I had to add longer skewers for the locks. And then I added the EZ Pull handle and license plate relocation kit with lights.

The photos below were before I figured how to put the tire clamp under the C5's fender, so you'll see that U tried using a piece of split pool noodle underneath for support. That didn't really help. Going under the fender doesn't work on the C380 due to the much lower fender stay position.

IMG_9515.jpeg

IMG_9549.jpeg

IMG_9550.jpeg

Back