Just bought an Ultimate C8 HMB

srolle

Region
USA
Greetings,
New member / picked up an Ultimate C8 recently. Thanks for the info shared from others in this sub-forum. Very helpful.
Here's some pics and notes to share so far:
IMG_0110 (1).jpg

• Primary use case is for becoming active again, getting exercise, and to drop some weight.
  • So far I've been toggling Modes "Off" and "Eco" (maximize my input / lean on assist only when needed) and am quite pleased that this model feels like a regular bike throughout.
  • Fit feels perfect - I'm 6'0" and 215lbs. but have a 30" inseam and use the Medium size 53 frame
  • Love the grips, saddle, and the small basic Purion display/controls - I appreciate that the bike overall doesn't scream "e-bike here"
  • Meets just about all of my shopping requirements:
    • Bosch motor
    • Gates Belt / Internal Gears
    • Easy to remove battery
    • Fairly quality build / parts overall
    • Fenders, rack, lights
    • Some suspension
    • Cam release front wheel for ease of transport
    • Step-through design yet regular / a bit sporty looking
    • Mid-price / warranty & LBS support
  • Bike feels like it's happiest on paved surfaces. My riding will be 90%+ on paved surfaces, so that should work fine for me.
  • I wonder if an upgraded post will help with gravel trails, or if simply deflating tires a bit will do the trick.
  • Fallback is to use my relatively inexpensive Lectric XP 3.0 for off-road trails as needed
  • Ordered the XP first as a low-risk gateway into e-bikes and it only took 2 weeks after to go look at Specialized and Gazelle models
  • XP is fun, but I learned that I'm just not a throttle guy nor a rear hub motor guy. The rear hub pedal assist is very digital (on or off) versus the mid-mount which feels progressive/analog.
  • We're still keeping the XP though as my wife can use it to cruise comfortably with and I can bang around on it too / the folding makes it easy to stuff into a car.
  • Didn't get to test a Turbo Vado, as they seem too popular and stock is low right now around me. I didn't want a Como. Vado SL is appealing but I didn't like the internal-only battery.
Yeah. Overall I'm pleased with the purchase. Well, honestly I'm really stoked. Did not pay MSRP either, which totally made this a slam dunk.
Cheers.
IMG_0108 (1).jpg

Greetings,
New member / picked up an Ultimate C8 recently. Thanks for the info shared from others in this sub-forum. Very helpful.
View attachment 145879
  • Primary use case is for becoming active again, getting exercise, and to drop some weight.
  • So far I've been toggling Modes "Off" and "Eco" (maximize my input / lean on assist only when needed) and am quite pleased that this model feels like a regular bike throughout.
  • Fit feels perfect - I'm 6'0" and 215lbs. but have a 30" inseam and use the Medium size 53 frame
  • Love the grips, saddle, and the small basic Purion display/controls - I appreciate that the bike overall doesn't scream "e-bike here"
    • Bosch motor
    • Easy to remove battery
    • Fenders, rack, lights
    • Some suspension
  • Bike feels like it's happiest on paved surfaces. My riding will be 90%+ on paved surfaces, so that should work fine for me.
  • I wonder if an upgraded post will help with gravel trails, or if simply deflating tires a bit will do the trick.
  • Fallback is to use my relatively inexpensive Lectric XP 3.0 for off-road trails as needed
  • Ordered the XP first as a low-risk gateway into e-bikes and it only took 2 weeks after to go look at Specialized and Gazelle models
  • XP is fun, but I learned that I'm just not a throttle guy nor a rear hub motor guy. The rear hub pedal assist is very digital (on or off) versus the mid-mount which feels progressive/analog.
  • We're still keeping the XP though as my wife can use it to cruise comfortably with and I can bang around on it too / the folding makes it easy to stuff into a car.
  • Didn't get to test a Turbo Vado, as they seem too popular and stock is low right now around me. I didn't want a Como. Vado SL is appealing but I didn't like the internal-only battery.
Yeah. Overall I'm pleased with the purchase. Well, honestly I'm really stoked. Did not pay MSRP either, which totally made this a slam dunk.
Cheers.
View attachment 145880
Sweet! Congratulations on a fine-looking bike. FYI there is an excellent Gazelle e-bike Facebook group with lots of good info and tips.

Congrats on your new bike. I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

I picked up a new Gazelle Ultimate C380 in early December 2022, and have put on over 900 kilometres. I really like the Gazelle. The only issue so far is that I noticed several loose spokes on the rear wheel. I'm not sure if this was due to riding or a quality control issue from the factory. In any event, I had my LBS re-tension the wheel and it has been good since.

I used to own a Turbo Como, but after numerous problems decided to trade it in on the Gazelle. I much prefer the Gazelle, especially the pedal assist modes. With the Turbo Como, I found Eco mode difficult and tiring, so I normally rode with mid assist. Turning the Como motor off or pedalling faster than the limit speed of 32 km/h was like riding into a strong wind... the motor without assist put significant drag on the pedals. With the Gazelle, I have tried riding in the Off mode, and it pedals like an ordinary bike, albeit a heavy bike. There doesn't seem to be any drag from the motor. Please note that my comments regarding the Turbo Como relate to a 2018 model, with the older Bloks display and 1.2 Brose motor. I am not sure if any of the limitations mentioned were addressed in later models.

I installed a Redshift Shockstop seat post on the Gazelle which is much nicer than the factory suspension post. I had a Kinekt seat post on my Turbo Como which I liked, but it was too large a diameter to fit the Gazelle.

Attached is a pic of my Gazelle with the Redshift seat post.

Happy Riding!!
IMG_3097.jpg

Sweet! Congratulations on a fine-looking bike. FYI there is an excellent Gazelle e-bike Facebook group with lots of good info and tips.
Congrats on your new bike. I am sure you are going to enjoy it.

I picked up a new Gazelle Ultimate C380 in early December 2022, and have put on over 900 kilometres. I really like the Gazelle. The only issue so far is that I noticed several loose spokes on the rear wheel. I'm not sure if this was due to riding or a quality control issue from the factory. In any event, I had my LBS re-tension the wheel and it has been good since.

I used to own a Turbo Como, but after numerous problems decided to trade it in on the Gazelle. I much prefer the Gazelle, especially the pedal assist modes. With the Turbo Como, I found Eco mode difficult and tiring, so I normally rode with mid assist. Turning the Como motor off or pedalling faster than the limit speed of 32 km/h was like riding into a strong wind... the motor without assist put significant drag on the pedals. With the Gazelle, I have tried riding in the Off mode, and it pedals like an ordinary bike, albeit a heavy bike. There doesn't seem to be any drag from the motor. Please note that my comments regarding the Turbo Como relate to a 2018 model, with the older Bloks display and 1.2 Brose motor. I am not sure if any of the limitations mentioned were addressed in later models.

I installed a Redshift Shockstop seat post on the Gazelle which is much nicer than the factory suspension post. I had a Kinekt seat post on my Turbo Como which I liked, but it was too large a diameter to fit the Gazelle.

Attached is a pic of my Gazelle with the Redshift seat post.

Happy Riding!!
Thanks - that C380 blue looks awesome. Is the Kinect available for our seat post sizes or is it just that you already had a version that was fitted for the Como and wouldn't fit the C380? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get one of the posts they look real nice.

Thanks - that C380 blue looks awesome. Is the Kinect available for our seat post sizes or is it just that you already had a version that was fitted for the Como and wouldn't fit the C380? I think I'm just gonna go ahead and get one of the posts they look real nice.
Como is using a 30.9 mm seat-post. Redshift ShockStop is only available in 27.2 mm so I assume that is the inner seat-tube diameter on the Gazelle.

Meaning you cannot re-use your 30.9 mm Kinekt seatpost. I agree with @Kless the Redshift ShockStop is an excellent suspension seat-post but that would mean extra expense for you @srolle. (If you want a Kinekt 2.1, you would need to buy another one for 27.2 mm diameter).

Como is using a 30.9 mm seat-post. Redshift ShockStop is only available in 27.2 mm so I assume that is the inner seat-tube diameter on the Gazelle.

Meaning you cannot re-use your 30.9 mm Kinekt seatpost. I agree with @Kless the Redshift ShockStop is an excellent suspension seat-post but that would mean extra expense for you @srolle. (If you want a Kinekt 2.1, you would need to buy another one for 27.2 mm diameter).
Ok thanks so both Kinekt and RedShift make the 27.2 if I wanted to compare. I should probably start with checking the stock post to see if it has the right spring in it for my weight.

Ok thanks so both Kinekt and RedShift make the 27.2 if I wanted to compare. I should probably start with checking the stock post to see if it has the right spring in it for my weight.
Yes, both Kinekt and RedShift make 27.2 seat posts (RedShift is only available as 27.2). As Stefan indicated the Como uses a 30.9 post so it wouldn't fit the Gazelle.

I like both the RedShift and Kinekt posts... they both are quite similar in terms of smoothing out the ride. The only thing I didn't like about the Kinekt is that it would start to squeak after a few rides, and would require lubrication with light oil to stop the squeaks. RedShift warns NOT to lubricate the seat post, which is better in my opinion.

The only thing I didn't like about the Kinekt is that it would start to squeak after a few rides, and would require lubrication with light oil to stop the squeaks. RedShift warns NOT to lubricate the seat post, which is better in my opinion.
Perfect, thanks.

RedShift warns NOT to lubricate the seat post, which is better in my opinion.
My Redshift started squeaking after a few months so I took it apart and regreased the springs and bearings and it has now been silent for over a year.

Greetings,
View attachment 145879
    • Bosch motor
    • Easy to remove battery
    • Fenders, rack, lights
    • Some suspension
Cheers.
View attachment 145880
Nice bike. Would this be a good bike for man 6'2" to ride on flat bike trails. My wife is looking at this model.
Can you post more as you get more miles.

Nice bike. Would this be a good bike for man 6'2" to ride on flat bike trails. My wife is looking at this model.
Can you post more as you get more miles.
At 6'2" you may wanna check out the larger frame size, but yeah the Active Line Plus motor is more than enough for flat trails. Very little assist is necessary, IMO. I feel I didn't need much on inclines either but then again I'm middle-aged and used to be very athletic when I was younger. Take a test ride, it's very important to get a feel for what you are buying. My first reaction on my test ride was "smooth and quiet." I clicked with the bike immediately.

Will post more as I ride more, yes.

@kneebenderbiker: You could ask Gazelle owners about their experience here :) Happy folk, don't you think so? :)
Yes Stefan, I agree. Gazelle is an excellent choice and people are very happy with them.
Should be a slam dunk choice since I can drive 21 miles and pick one up today - too bad it's 0 degrees F here today.

Congratulations to @srolle on your new bike. I hope you get lots of happy miles riding it and reach your goals for exercise and weight loss. It's a very nice looking bike.

Congratulations to @Kless on your choice too. Great looking bikes and your milage since December is proof you enjoy riding it. Happy trails.

Sorry about the snow, bros.

I did 12 miles this weekend and stayed in ECO to try to wear myself out. I think it worked. On most inclines I was able to stay in 3rd gear, but the steepest had me going down to 1st gear as I got tired of being out of the saddle. I also noticed what appears to be the battery cover squeak for the first time, so I'll have to look into some tape/felt to silence that. I need really some accessories like a phone holder and a back bag. Enjoying this bike!

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

I went with the Suntour seat post suspension as my choice. It is 27.2 mm diameter and a lot less expensive. No squeaks and great performance.

Attachments

• AB9A9449-234A-43F2-A7A6-655F79563504.jpeg
    AB9A9449-234A-43F2-A7A6-655F79563504.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 144
Back