Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB (2023)?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
A Forum user asked for advice re purchase of the Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB, MY 2023. As I can see, the new Gazelle has been equipped with the latest Bosch Smart System.

Looking at the specs, it looks like a perfect e-bike for a commuter and the pater familias. (Hear, hear, the Specialized man has spoken!) :D

Any users here? Experiences? Share your views!

Last edited:
Gazelle make great bikes, no doubt here. There are no MY2023 models yet available in US, so no hands-on experience, but previous generation models are fantastic. I have both C8 and C380+ and have nothing bad to say about them at all. I think with SmartSystem they should become even better. Do you have a link to the bike to share? I check NL version of the Gazelle web site, but looks like they don't have exactly 380 HMB model 2023 there (some variance of it only) - curious to see if they still use mechanical enviolo shifter or switch to automatiq in latest generation.

So, from what I noticed in addition to Smart System adoption (with much better display now) are new design of battery cower (probably will be stronger - older versions tend to break easily and replacement is extremely difficult to get, at least in US), Magura brakes (instead of Shimano before) and better fork (comparing to 2021 model at least) and sligtly different rear rack. Everything else is pretty much same, but why to change things which works great.

Overall this looks like a great bike and will bring lots of joy to its rider!

What is the "Smart System"? I spent a few minutes poking around, but I'm still unclear on what it is. I've been over the moon with my '22 Gazelle Ultimate T10+, seems like some slight tweaks will only improve things.

What is the "Smart System"?
This is new generation of Bosch ebike platform. It includes new drives, controllers, batteries, display units, app, etc. and completely incompatible with legacy system. One of the key benefit of new platform for end users is an ability to perform lots of operations by owners instead of authorized dealers (like installing new display, updating the software and firmware for drive units and other components, etc.) and ability to integrate with new technologies (for ebikes) like ABS. On software side it opens a possibility to integrate with 3rd-party platforms to deliver new kind of experience. It is relatively new still and don't cover all the bike groups yet (i.e. there is only one display model available for now and no speed motors), but in few years it will replace the older gen completely. More details here.

Will happily provide initial feedback on the + version in about a week. :)
So, from what I noticed in addition to Smart System adoption (with much better display now) are new design of battery cower (probably will be stronger - older versions tend to break easily and replacement is extremely difficult to get, at least in US), Magura brakes (instead of Shimano before) and better fork (comparing to 2021 model at least) and sligtly different rear rack. Everything else is pretty much same, but why to change things which works great.

Overall this looks like a great bike and will bring lots of joy to its rider!

Seems to have lost the suspension seat post and front "stem" suspension in favor of the Sun Tour fork. Rear rack looks different as well (I don't see the built-in bungee cord thing).

Kiox is definitely a nice upgrade from the Purion. Looks like grips may have been upgraded from their old style to the nicer Ergon grips as well.

And side note, FWIW, the battery covers are easy to obtain now (at least the non 2023 ones , and in the US). I've ordered one from Propel yesterday for an extra 500Wh horizontal battery I'm sourcing myself, and the cover will arrive tomorrow.

Kiox is definitely a nice upgrade from the Purion.
Looks like they never put Purion on these models in Eupore - all the bikes twins for those available in US got Intuvia in Europe. However Kiox is a bit upgrade over Intuvia as well.
Looks like grips may have been upgraded from their old style to the nicer Ergon grips as well.
Good catch. Might be EU vs. US version difference however.
the battery covers are easy to obtain now (at least in the US). I've ordered one from Propel yesterday
Thanks for sharing - last summer I checked pretty much all ebikes stores in NYC to get one (and now I actually need 2 since both bikes has it damaged) and none of them had it in stock or even on pre-order. Propel site doesn't have any, but let me email them and see if they have more in stock.

Looks like they never put Purion on these models in Eupore - all the bikes twins for those available in US got Intuvia in Europe. However Kiox is a bit upgrade over Intuvia as well.

Good catch. Might be EU vs. US version difference however.

Thanks for sharing - last summer I checked pretty much all ebikes stores in NYC to get one (and now I actually need 2 since both bikes has it damaged) and none of them had it in stock or even on pre-order. Propel site doesn't have any, but let me email them and see if they have more in stock.
Which bike? This should work, no? https://propelbikes.com/product/gazelle-battery-cover-powertube-tna/

No problem.. and glad to hear it, because that's the one I ordered.. o_O
🤣
Looks like they don't have many in stock - I got at least one on backorder...
1680800380568.png

Attachments

• 1680800371829.png
    1680800371829.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 100
Only to mention Kiox 300 is not your ordinary Kiox.
Most of older Bosch e-bikes sold in Europe come with Purion. Because it is cheap for the e-bike manufacturer.

IMO the Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB is an excellent choice. I haven't ridden one, but I've done a ton of research, looking into a bunch of different brands.

In Feb 2023, during my research for my first e-bike, I looked at all of the 2022 Gazelle e-bikes with a belt drive at the LBS focusing on Ultimate C380+ (C380 Class 2 vs C380+ Class 3). Unfortunately, no test rides in the snow and ice. All of the Gazelle bikes were very nice, high quality, well built, attractive and a solid choice. They are stylish, refined, and comfortable.

The 2022 models available had the Bosch gen 3 system which is a bit heavier than the gen 4 version. The belt drive and internal gear hub along with the Bosch system were a major factor in which bikes I was most interested in. Ultimately, I chose a different brand bike that does have the gen 4 Bosch system - a Zen Samurai. A relatively new e-bike company in Halifax, Canada.

In favor of C380: available at LBS, parts and service widely available, the down tube battery placement, nice fenders, multiple sizes, high or low step models, includes belt guard, cafe lock which uses the same key as the battery, and all the features one really needs in an e-bike. Plus, Gazelle's long history and known quality. It is a beautiful and sleek e-bike.

Why I chose a Samurai: customizable, built to order in North America, 4th gen Bosch system, easy to add second battery option, substantial suspension fork with 2 options, rugged for off pavement, the included pedals & saddle fit my needs, seat post has quick release, 2 suspension seat post options, a high weight capacity for the rear rack, 27.5" wheels - I'm only 5"8" so they work well for me, and it comes in 4 sizes. Surprisingly, the Zen Samurai was less expensive than the LBS Utltmate C380+ (but probably more than the C380 model) and I got a great deal on the upgrades: lights, brakes, Kiox, additional battery. Best of all it comes in RED ;)

I don't think anyone could go wrong with a Gazelle Ultimate C380 HMB or any Gazelle bike, for that matter. There is definitely an advantage to being able to try the bike, have local support and not have to deal with any issues that may arise from DTC delivery.

Back