5'1" Female in Austin, Texas; Cross-country RVer

Tamijo

As I stated in my title, I'm a 5-foot 1-inch female who will be traveling alone in my RV across the country. I want to make the best bike selection that I can. Fortunately I have the funds to buy any bike that I want. What I want is a bike that I can lift onto the rack myself. I want to step through, and I want to be able to haul a few simple groceries. I want the most power I can get at the lightest-weight. I want the longest lasting battery I can get and I want to be able to trail ride as well as street ride. I don't intend to do any heavy duty mountain biking on rocky trails or anything like that, but I would like to be able to head out on relatively smooth dirt trails from time to time.

What do you think would be the best bike for me? I am brand new to ebikes and I am clueless!

Have you looked at folding ebikes from Rad Power Bikes, Sondors, or Volt? The Radmini or Volt will have more utility; while, the sondors fold X will have lighter weight. I was thinking security wise of having the option of tossing the folded ebike in the back of the RV to protect against thieves and weather. You still have the option of putting it on the bike rack whenever.

As I stated in my title, I'm a 5-foot 1-inch female who will be traveling alone in my RV across the country. I want to make the best bike selection that I can. Fortunately I have the funds to buy any bike that I want. What I want is a bike that I can lift onto the rack myself. I want to step through, and I want to be able to haul a few simple groceries. I want the most power I can get at the lightest-weight. I want the longest lasting battery I can get and I want to be able to trail ride as well as street ride. I don't intend to do any heavy duty mountain biking on rocky trails or anything like that, but I would like to be able to head out on relatively smooth dirt trails from time to time.

What do you think would be the best bike for me? I am brand new to ebikes and I am clueless!

Lightest bike: Easy Go Street at 42lbs. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
keep an extra battery and you're good for 25 miles.

Moderate performance, price, and weight but wide range of availability and service:
Trek Lift+ (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Felt Verza E: http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/electric/road/verzae-30-s.aspx

High-performance, top-notch components, sub 50lbs bikes:

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2016/Bikes/electric/road/Verza-e-10.aspx and (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

In all cases, if you remove the battery, the weight will reduce by 5-7lbs.

All of them (BH, Felt, Trek and BULLS) have dealers all over the country. Try it out. Make sure you are comfortable lifting it up and loading all by yourself.
I am pretty sure you can find Trek and Felt dealers who can get you those bikes.

Lots of people with RV's have a ladder up the back, and some of them hoist bikes up there and chain them up. I saw one of those rigs pass yesterday on I65 as I rode my bike down the parallel road.
Whatever you buy, make sure it will clear at least 1.9" (better 2") knobby tires. I find the knobbies have 500% fewer flats than any thin tire. The bumps get your tube away from the road trash. And 1.9" or fatter tires will support 50 lb of groceries on my bike, plus 160 lb me and the 35 lb steel baskets set I made. I imagine plastic panniers would weigh less. Plus the big tires cushion road potholes etc. with soft 50 PSI air.
Have fun touring.

Lots of people with RV's have a ladder up the back, and some of them hoist bikes up there and chain them up..

Some of the hitch mounted platform bike carriers also have ramp attachments (like my Thule Easy Fold) where you can roll the bike up onto the rack. I wouldn't limit my choicest to the lightest bike just solely based on the thought you have to lift the bike onto a rack.

Ravi posted the Bulls Cross Lite E as an option. I would have seriously considered purchase of that bike if I had a dealer in my area. Court had a positive review of that bike.

Some of the hitch mounted platform bike carriers also have ramp attachments (like my Thule Easy Fold) where you can roll the bike up onto the rack. I wouldn't limit my choicest to the lightest bike just solely based on the thought you have to lift the bike onto a rack.
x2 on both points: 1) There are ramps, and 2) Choosing a bike based solely on weight would be a mistake, in your case.

There are also "lifts" - a rack that you can lower and lift whenever needed. Like this one - it doesn't use hydraulics, good because there are fewer things to brake, bad because it's not a push-button operation, you have to winch it up/down.: http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift. Winching shouldn't require much efforts though. I recall some lifts that could be lifted all the way to the top. Talk to rack dealers.

You might notice that most of those "lifts" are pictured with motorcycles, and for a good reason - motorcycle you can't bring inside. But a bike you can. As somebody suggested, another option is a folding bike - easy to store inside. They come in step-through frame, and with rear rack and front basket it needed.

Now, about "the best battery"... Sorry but there is no free lunch in energy storage. The longer the range - the heavier the battery, there is no way around this. Better brands will last longer though.

Last edited:

One of the folding ebikes may also be another good option being you are mobile for flat tarmac like the Go Cycle G3 @ approx 35lbs.: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) A bit pricey but some of the most state of the art tech in folding bikes. Perhaps get a 2nd bike for all other uses if needed from Ravi's list.

Folders are a compromise like most things in life.
They are light-er than most bikes, though not lighter than a comparable size rigid frame. Smaller wheels, smaller battery (= shorter range). Main plus is that you can bring it inside. I wouldn't want to leave a 2-3K bike on the rack outside, in this great US of A.

You said - rocky trails and heavy-duty mounting biking... With 20" 1.75 tires?... Try it, maybe you'll like it ;)... QuietKat has a little wider rims and enough motor for MTB, and front suspension, but...but... you also want grocery shopping - there is no rack on this one. Maybe you'll attach some basket in front.

Sorry, those folders above are not step-through, and the height of top-tube is 26-28, same high as on rigid frames. Though with (generally) longer legs than males, a 5' female could still be able to. Blix Vika Plus is step-through: https://electricbikereview.com/blix/vika-plus/

Last edited:
As a Pedego dealer, my expertise lies with that brand, so I'll focus there.

Like you, my wife is 5'1", and her three favorite Pedegos to ride are the Stretch, the City Commuter 26" Step Thru, and the Interceptor 24" Step Thru.

Neither the Interceptor nor the City Commuter is specifically designed for off-road use, but many use them on fire roads and such. Those who want to smooth out the ride often opt for a BodyFloat seatpost. My wife likes the City Commuter with the BodyFloat and a suspension fork conversion for light trail riding. We don't know of a decent suspension fork for the 24" Interceptor.

Whether the Interceptor or City Commuter is better depends a lot on you. Most people find one more comfortable than the other, and it's often not the one you think it'll be. I recommend riding them both, if you can, before purchasing. People with road bike or mountain bike experience tend to find the City Commuter riding position more familiar. People with knee or back issues often, but not always, find the Inerceptor riding position more comfortable. The 24" Interceptor is a bit smaller than the 26" City Commuter and has a lower step through. Either bike can be tweaked through adjustments or part swaps.

Pedegos are reliable and easy to get parts for. Last I heard, there were around 100 Pedego stores in the US, so if you run into trouble while traveling, a dealer might not be too far out of your way. I'm obviously biased, but I also have a lot of first hand experience at seeing how happy Pedego owners are and how well Pedego treats its customers.

Whatever way you decide to go, I bet you're in for a great time! Ebikes and RVs go great together!

Back