Espin Flow display unreadable

canyonjoy

Region
USA
Has no one experienced any issues with the readability of the Espin Flow computer display? I have searched through the various posts and have seen nothing about this, but my display is totally useless in the Arizona sun. The blue on black screen just isn't contrasting enough to see anything unless I manage to catch a glimpse while in the shade of a rare tree. And god forbid if I have my sunglasses on which renders it even worse. I don't have the bike front light plugged in so that isn't the problem despite what Espin suggested. I had to put my old Planet Bike computer on just to be able to see my speed and mileage. As far as my PAS levels, I just have to keep track. Love the bike otherwise but am totally dissatisfied with the display.

Has no one experienced any issues with the readability of the Espin Flow computer display? I have searched through the various posts and have seen nothing about this, but my display is totally useless in the Arizona sun. The blue on black screen just isn't contrasting enough to see anything unless I manage to catch a glimpse while in the shade of a rare tree. And god forbid if I have my sunglasses on which renders it even worse. I don't have the bike front light plugged in so that isn't the problem despite what Espin suggested. I had to put my old Planet Bike computer on just to be able to see my speed and mileage. As far as my PAS levels, I just have to keep track. Love the bike otherwise but am totally dissatisfied with the display.
What year model is your Flow? I've got the '21, and it's not the brightest display in the world, but I can see it, even with my sunglasses on. NC sun is not AZ sun though.

Can you adjust the angle of the display in the handlebars, so the sun is hitting it less directly?

That's called wash out, and it's not that unusual a problem with a lot of the color displays. Even the best ones wash out to a certain extent, not that it makes your issue any less. My point is that's just part of the deal.

Agree with @PatriciaK, that tilting it might help to make the best of a bad situation.

What year model is your Flow? I've got the '21, and it's not the brightest display in the world, but I can see it, even with my sunglasses on. NC sun is not AZ sun though.

Can you adjust the angle of the display in the handlebars, so the sun is hitting it less directly?
I've tried every angle possible with sadly the same results.

That's called wash out, and it's not that unusual a problem with a lot of the color displays. Even the best ones wash out to a certain extent, not that it makes your issue any less. My point is that's just part of the deal.

Agree with @PatriciaK, that tilting it might help to make the best of a bad situation.
Well, that's discouraging. In the end, it'll make me replace the bike with another brand soon than later.

Well, that's discouraging. In the end, it'll make me replace the bike with another brand soon than later.
Be sure to take whatever bike you're considering out in the bright sun to be sure you won't have the same issue 😉.

I'm trying to remember if there's a brightness adjustment for the display. Am not with the Flow now so can't check, but I have a vague memory of fiddling with it ...

Be sure to take whatever bike you're considering out in the bright sun to be sure you won't have the same issue 😉.

I'm trying to remember if there's a brightness adjustment for the display. Am not with the Flow now so can't check, but I have a vague memory of fiddling with it ...
The display will wash out even on the brightest setting. As mentioned, that's pretty typical of ALL brands. They are all varying degrees of bad in my experience, with the Bafang displays being best, again, based on my experience. If you want to eliminate the issue, eliminate color displays....

The display will wash out even on the brightest setting. As mentioned, that's pretty typical of ALL brands. They are all varying degrees of bad in my experience, with the Bafang displays being best, again, based on my experience. If you want to eliminate the issue, eliminate color displays....
Maybe all color displays. My Planet Bike computer is readable (black on light gray) and the display (not sure of the brand) I recently had on an ebike in Germany was readable at all times, even with my sunglasses on. It was also also black on light gray. I would have thought the color displays would have popped more but maybe not.

I have searched for adjustment instructions and have not found any. If you come up with something, please let me know. I'd really appreciate it.

Maybe in your communications with Espin, ask them? They've always been responsive when I have questions. I won't have access to my manual again until the fall when we return to NC, sorry!

Maybe in your communications with Espin, ask them? They've always been responsive when I have questions. I won't have access to my manual again until the fall when we return to NC, sorry!
Thanks, I'll try again. They have said it was because I had my bike light on but I don't even have that hooked up. It won't hurt to ask again.

Polarized sunglasses can blank out many color LCD displays. Found this out going to a restaurant that had one of those LCD menu boards and I thought their menu was broken... took off my sunglasses and magic!

In case that's not the issue... as others have said, color displays have an issue with full sunlight... the comment about the bike light on is when you activate your lights (hooked up or not) with the long press on the [+] button it activates a backlight on the display or a less bright display (assumes it's nighttime) so that may impact visibility.

I have an older Sport that is the black/white display... so I don't experience these issues.

Good luck.

I would have thought that a color display would be nice, didn't realize that they were often difficult to read. The two Lectric XP 2.0 bikes we got last Christmas have large monochrome displays that are easily visible in sunlight. The more I read about other bikes the more I'm impressed with these Lectrics--features galore and all for under $1K. But not a lightweight, if that's important to you.

Old thread but have you tried a sunshade?

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 16-42-40 Amazon.com HeiyRC Motorcycle Phone Mount Holder Sun Shade Bi...png

Back