Vanmoof V dual motor, 1kw, 31mph

Dewey

Region
USA
City
Arlington, Virginia

Not too many details yet, they say it has dual motors but also automated gears so it’s unclear how the bike is geared. Full suspension to help cope with top speed of 31mph, that also means it’s going to be regulated like a moped and can’t be ridden on bicycle infrastructure, and to be fair the marketing says its for riding on roads.

Not too many details yet, they say it has dual motors but also automated gears so it’s unclear how the bike is geared. Full suspension to help cope with top speed of 31mph, that also means

it’s going to be regulated like a moped
Like a motorcycle.
and can’t be ridden on bicycle infrastructure, and to be fair the marketing says its for riding on roads.
I'd like to see them obtaining the EU Certificate of Conformity...

The VanMoof is even not Class 3. I cannot understand people excited with excessive power and speed of some "e-bikes".

P.S. How the co-founder of VanMoof cries about the EU e-bike laws! The true fact is, a Euro 25 km/h e-bike is just a bike, so it's admitted anywhere, including national parks. No problem to buy, register and insure a 45 km/h S-Pedelec in Europe either. Yet, VanMoof must be perfectly aware their rubbish wouldn't pass the Type Approval process of the EU. Specialized, Trek, Riese & Muller, Bulls and several other brands have passed the Type Approval.

Ties Carlier cries about EU e-bike laws

Last edited:

Not too many details yet, they say it has dual motors but also automated gears so it’s unclear how the bike is geared. Full suspension to help cope with top speed of 31mph, that also means it’s going to be regulated like a moped and can’t be ridden on bicycle infrastructure, and to be fair the marketing says its for riding on roads.
They're just going to notch the speed down to 28/30 to comply with local rules.

This bike looks interesting, biggest flaw is it's from vanmoof which has a horrendous QC record, as it's Reddit page can affirm.

I hope it inspires copycats, albeit as 28 mph Class 3s.

Regardless of the fact that the Vanmoof as shown stands no chance of actually achieving that speed for very long due to anemic wh's on board it and the BMW iAmby and the various scooter type bikes advertising speed in excess of 30mph yet marketed as "eBikes" it is getting some press:

Back