Bought Cannondale Topstone Neo5

Larry Nigro

Region
USA
City
Manchester NH
Picked up my Cannondale Topstone Neo5 yesterday at REI in North Conway NH. Went for first ride today. The bike is a rocket ascending hills.
No hesitation on each assist level. Need to read up on the Purion controller on how to scroll through the different displays. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Neo51.JPG
    Neo51.JPG
    719.9 KB · Views: 570
  • Neo52.JPG
    Neo52.JPG
    540.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Neo53.JPG
    Neo53.JPG
    511.8 KB · Views: 472
  • Neo54.JPG
    Neo54.JPG
    493.5 KB · Views: 433
  • Neo55.JPG
    Neo55.JPG
    730 KB · Views: 445
  • Neo56.JPG
    Neo56.JPG
    709.5 KB · Views: 452
  • Neo57.JPG
    Neo57.JPG
    709.8 KB · Views: 446
  • Neo58.JPG
    Neo58.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 422
  • Neo59.JPG
    Neo59.JPG
    711.6 KB · Views: 418
  • Neo510.JPG
    Neo510.JPG
    706.3 KB · Views: 498
Mine is in to have sub-brake levers installed. I was thinking about asking the shop about upgrading the Purion, but not sure that’s possible?

I bought a Neo 5 from REI recently. I asked about upgradient to Kiox- they suggested I acquire the upgrade kit myself and they would install.
This required I get an appropriate mount- which was challenging due to limited availability and cost online. Cannondale refused to sell me the mount that they use on their Kiox supplied bikes ( including the topstone carbon Neo). The upgrade kit comes with a headset mount- but my REI techs didn't think this would work with the headset bolt deep down below the cap.
I ultimately got the KTM mount online from FLI distributors in the UK. Orbea and cube were the other brands with limited availability online. There was also an issue with the Kiox control pad- which wont fit the 31.8 bars. A 31.8 to smaller diameter conversion was needed. REI did the install for me- said it took them 6 hours of labor, but they only charged for half of that.

I love the bike. I live on the top of an 800 foot hill, and the turbo mode allows me to climb at the end of a long work out without spiking my HR above 150. I think I will ride more often and longer distance as a result. My experience thus far has been very positive. I ride 50% of the time with no support, and find this very similar to my other acoustic road bike. The Kiox display gives me all the fitness data that I want, and connects to the Bosch phone app seamlessly.

Have been lurking on the site for some time, I greatly appreciate all the knowledge and insight generously provided. Much of the above has been previously reviewed by others ( Deacon Blues, Alaskan, Spicy Legato, David Berry, Wandering Student, et. al.).

I bought a Neo 5 from REI recently. I asked about upgradient to Kiox- they suggested I acquire the upgrade kit myself and they would install.
This required I get an appropriate mount- which was challenging due to limited availability and cost online. Cannondale refused to sell me the mount that they use on their Kiox supplied bikes ( including the topstone carbon Neo). The upgrade kit comes with a headset mount- but my REI techs didn't think this would work with the headset bolt deep down below the cap.
I ultimately got the KTM mount online from FLI distributors in the UK. Orbea and cube were the other brands with limited availability online. There was also an issue with the Kiox control pad- which wont fit the 31.8 bars. A 31.8 to smaller diameter conversion was needed. REI did the install for me- said it took them 6 hours of labor, but they only charged for half of that.

I love the bike. I live on the top of an 800 foot hill, and the turbo mode allows me to climb at the end of a long work out without spiking my HR above 150. I think I will ride more often and longer distance as a result. My experience thus far has been very positive. I ride 50% of the time with no support, and find this very similar to my other acoustic road bike. The Kiox display gives me all the fitness data that I want, and connects to the Bosch phone app seamlessly.

Have been lurking on the site for some time, I greatly appreciate all the knowledge and insight generously provided. Much of the above has been previously reviewed by others ( Deacon Blues, Alaskan, Spicy Legato, David Berry, Wandering Student, et. al.).

Sorry for that hassle with the display! We're a Cube dealer and I'm familiar with the display mount but I think the headset top cap mount looks slick and keeps the display out of the way of my legs. The headset mount just requires a different compression plug for the fork...not the most complicated problem. The install does require taking apart damn near the entire bike, battery tray out, motor dropped and threading the wire down there. Drop the fork too so there's clearance to get the wire even into the frame. It's a process but worth it! Also the Koix button pad fits on the stock Purion mount supplied with the bike, not sure what they're talking about...

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_161745008_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210620_161745008_HDR.jpg
    501.9 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_20210620_161750757_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210620_161750757_HDR.jpg
    609 KB · Views: 354
Sorry for that hassle with the display! We're a Cube dealer and I'm familiar with the display mount but I think the headset top cap mount looks slick and keeps the display out of the way of my legs. The headset mount just requires a different compression plug for the fork...not the most complicated problem. The install does require taking apart damn near the entire bike, battery tray out, motor dropped and threading the wire down there. Drop the fork too so there's clearance to get the wire even into the frame. It's a process but worth it! Also the Koix button pad fits on the stock Purion mount supplied with the bike, not sure what they're talking about...
I'm about to purchase the Neo 5 and I LOVE the pink handlebar tape and water bottle cage! Thanks for the idea, I'm going to do the same! Certainly makes a "black pearl" bike look snazzy! Can you tell me where you purchased? I like the top of the handlebar tape being a blend of pink and black...won't look so dirty. Is this a separate bar tape on the top?

I'm about to purchase the Neo 5 and I LOVE the pink handlebar tape and water bottle cage! Thanks for the idea, I'm going to do the same! Certainly makes a "black pearl" bike look snazzy! Can you tell me where you purchased? I like the top of the handlebar tape being a blend of pink and black...won't look so dirty. Is this a separate bar tape on the top?
Hey there! Thanks for the compliment, we normally keep the tape here at the shop but I used the last roll, sorry! Supacaz makes the bar tape, it's one roll that changes color in the middle and there's quite a few different colors to choose from. Cages are from them too so the colors match (super important).

Thanks Brendon! Unfortunately it's on backorder with my local bike shop. Hope to pick up my bike next week! :)

Having just bought a Topstone Neo 5 on closeout (after hunting for several months found one deeply discounted!) I have a few questions and I'm hoping for some clarification. I'm planning on upgrading the Purion to Kiox (it seems like the retrofit kits are harder to find, but still possible). Do I need a different mount than the one that comes with the retrofit kit? I'm not opposed to the headset mount, but think the flexibility of a handlebar mount seems more ideal, but they seem hard to come by. Is there one that Cube sells?

I am also hoping to install the Lezyne 800 HV light (Brendon, it seems like that's what you have and I like the look and functionality). I've read elsewhere that there is already a cable routed to install the light attached to the Purion display. Do I need to take this to the LBS to get installed? Or can this be done at home?

Any other essential upgrades I should consider? Any tail light recommendations (not opposed to your rack Brendon!)? I'd rather just take it to the LBS once to get it all kitted out at once especially if it requires any disassembly. Going to be using it for commuting (16 miles each way) and gravel rides locally and am beyond excited.

Having just bought a Topstone Neo 5 on closeout (after hunting for several months found one deeply discounted!) I have a few questions and I'm hoping for some clarification. I'm planning on upgrading the Purion to Kiox (it seems like the retrofit kits are harder to find, but still possible). Do I need a different mount than the one that comes with the retrofit kit? I'm not opposed to the headset mount, but think the flexibility of a handlebar mount seems more ideal, but they seem hard to come by. Is there one that Cube sells?

I am also hoping to install the Lezyne 800 HV light (Brendon, it seems like that's what you have and I like the look and functionality). I've read elsewhere that there is already a cable routed to install the light attached to the Purion display. Do I need to take this to the LBS to get installed? Or can this be done at home?

Any other essential upgrades I should consider? Any tail light recommendations (not opposed to your rack Brendon!)? I'd rather just take it to the LBS once to get it all kitted out at once especially if it requires any disassembly. Going to be using it for commuting (16 miles each way) and gravel rides locally and am beyond excited.

Congrats on finding one, they've been hard to find this last year!

The Lezyne headlight is awesome, I've been impressed. Nightrider came out with a new 1k lum light that I've got here in the shop, been impressed with that too. The rack I have is made by Racktime and has an integrated tail lights. I've got one of those left along with the Lezyne headlight you mentioned. Kiox conversion kits are in stock as well as the K-Edge headset and handlebar mount. I like the headset mount as I've already got a cluttered cockpit with the light and Kiox switch block. Feel free to hit me up at the shop, happy to answer any additional questions!

I'd also consider fenders depending on where you're riding. The 650 wheels have been super nice when getting more adventurous. Also consider upgrading the rotors too, something like XT or XTR, huge upgrade in braking performance. Nice area for an upgrade when the bike only has single piston calipers and hauls butt!

The Kiox display comes with it's own topcap mount. You can get a k-edge one that sits in the same place, albeit lower but it's more money for almost the same thing. The Kiox control unit can re-use the purion mount. This means that just getting the retrofit kit should be all you need. Personally I had the shop do the Kiox retrofit because of the wiring and potential programming.

The bike comes prewired for a light and the programming is set default for the light to be enabled. I preferred to solder and heat shrink my wiring, so added on my own light rather than asking for shop install. I went with a Lezyne macro 1000. DIY its only battery removal, two wires and should be 30 minutes roughly.

The first upgrade for me was the kiox + replacing the stock seat. I needed wider handlebars, replaced with carbon there and added a dropper post - those were two very worthwhile upgrades.

The Kiox display comes with it's own topcap mount. You can get a k-edge one that sits in the same place, albeit lower but it's more money for almost the same thing. The Kiox control unit can re-use the purion mount. This means that just getting the retrofit kit should be all you need. Personally I had the shop do the Kiox retrofit because of the wiring and potential programming.

The bike comes prewired for a light and the programming is set default for the light to be enabled. I preferred to solder and heat shrink my wiring, so added on my own light rather than asking for shop install. I went with a Lezyne macro 1000. DIY its only battery removal, two wires and should be 30 minutes roughly.

The first upgrade for me was the kiox + replacing the stock seat. I needed wider handlebars, replaced with carbon there and added a dropper post - those were two very worthwhile upgrades.
Thank you for all the insight! I just got the bike put together and took it for a quick ride and I don’t know that I’ve ever smiled so hard in my life. What an incredible experience!

Just picked up a Topstone Neo 2. I found one my size at a LBS and took it for a test ride. When I came back the salesman said "20% off". I couldn't resist. My other consideration was a Class 3 Trek Domane but between the bike and an extra battery I was looking at $10k. Here in Denver metro we do a lot of mixed pavement/gravel rides, and this machine is perfect for the terrain. Def a speed demon! I was cruising along not paying much attention to my speed and looked down to see 26 mph! The bike is great fun. It seems all the new high end ebikes are going low power, low weight, low range. We weighed the small frame, 37lb. Had the LBS add lights. I love this bike!
If you want more of an off road bike get the lefty. The Neo 2 is in very short supply maybe discontinued?

Attachments

• Topstone.jpg
    Topstone.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Just picked up a Topstone Neo 2. I found one my size at a LBS and took it for a test ride. When I came back the salesman said "20% off". I couldn't resist. My other consideration was a Class 3 Trek Domane but between the bike and an extra battery I was looking at $10k. Here in Denver metro we do a lot of mixed pavement/gravel rides, and this machine is perfect for the terrain. Def a speed demon! I was cruising along not paying much attention to my speed and looked down to see 26 mph! The bike is great fun. It seems all the new high end ebikes are going low power, low weight, low range. We weighed the small frame, 37lb. Had the LBS add lights. I love this bike!
If you want more of an off road bike get the lefty. The Neo 2 is in very short supply maybe discontinued?

It's a fairly niche bike so it's not surprising that supply is limited. That said we've still got 2 larges left, one in a box and one on the floor. They're pretty sweet!!

What lights did you go for?

I did notice on the Cdale website the Neo 2 was listed as "closeout". I bought the last one in my size in Denver metro that I could find. The shop mentioned the Giant Road E+ Pro Road bike is no longer available. As I said I considered the new Domane+ but would have to buy range extender battery and tires, close to 10k or more for a class 3 version. The Neo was 6 bills plus tax.
Honestly I didn't pay much attention to the lights installation. They put in a Nip 800 up front, LIght and Motion VIS E-TL on the back.

The Neo 2 is serious fun! Now if anyone can tell me how to load Strava routes into the Kiosk?

The Neo 2 is serious fun! Now if anyone can tell me how to load Strava routes into the Kiosk?
after you create your route save it then you will se the route and below the name you see print and export to gpx. export it then load bike connect and import the route. I use ridewithgps to make my routes.

Thanks fooferdoggie! I’ll give it a try. I try friends routes, and the Strava app is pretty sucky for that. Need turn by turn directions

Last edited:
Back