REI launches in-house electric bikes, showing off affordably priced Shimano mid-drives

FlatSix911

Region
USA
City
Silicon Valley

As divisional vice president REI Co-op Brands strategy and design Isabelle Portilla explained:
Co-op Cycles bikes are designed with input from REI members, and the line continues to resonate with the co-op community as the line evolves. In a year where bicycle sales have nearly doubled for the co-op, we’re thrilled to bring these brand-new styles to our customers just in time for fall fun and freedom on two wheels.

E-bikes are here to stay, and they are so much fun. We know e-bikes are helping people get outside quickly, more often and closer to home. They are great as a recovery option post-injury or a fun and accessible way to start riding for the first time and they are a planet-friendly transportation alternative.

1600289670685.png

Last edited:
looks like a great price for a name brand mid drive.

They look like a good value... ;)

The Co-op Cycles e2.1 is priced at US$1,799 while the e2.2’s higher torque and larger battery commands a higher price of US$2,199. T

he e2.2 also nets you included front and rear fenders, which can be worth their weight in gold for commuters in rainy areas. While US$1,799 isn’t the most affordable mid-drive e-bike we’ve seen yet, it’s pretty darn close. And with the Co-op CTY e2.1 and e2.2, you also get several components that you won’t find on budget-level e-bikes.

It's too bad the low-step frame (pictured) is only available for the small size.

I saw it yesterday as I was out bike hunting and I'm thinking about going back for a test ride. The bike looked very nice and the sales people said it was a very impressive test ride. Looking for some good feedback and evaluation of the bike and components

I read that from the article... what other mid-drives are less than $1799?

Check BD... they have a few Shimano mid-drive models available at $1,599 and $1,699.

Last edited:
Perhaps the ebikes will keep REI from going into its second bankruptcy in five years?

Could you please give a reference that REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) went into bankruptcy sometime in the last five years? I have been a member and regular customer for 44 years and this is news to me. I always received a dividend on my purchases each year, and it was always honored.

REI has great potential to dominate ebike market.

Their policies are great, pricing is fair and you are not tied to a local shop.

They also carry some very nice offerings, like the 29ers Cannondale canvas Neo, FS Cujo Neo etc. If you are not looking for a deal REI should be the first place to look for an ebike.

Their Coop bikes seemed very well made. They had good components and reasonably priced. I see that they carry the same mentality to their own ebikes too which is great.

Honestly if I was in the market for an affordable but quality mid drive I would give these shimano offerings a serious consideration. Heck same/lesser bikes are sold for around 3K+ from other manufacturers...

Could you please give a reference that REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) went into bankruptcy sometime in the last five years? I have been a member and regular customer for 44 years and this is news to me. I always received a dividend on my purchases each year, and it was always honored.
A member since 1967.

A quick search and you’ll see the bankruptcy is quite current. Big bummer!

Just out of interest: Do you have Decathlon stores in the U.S.?
Yes, they opened just last year in the US, currently just the 2 stores in San Francisco, I bought my rain poncho from them. Decathlon have not yet brought in any of their EU ebikes to the US, but are distributing Aventon ebikes

Last edited:
I just bought a used Co-Op Rev 16" child's bike for my 5 yo, I appreciate even the children's Co-Op bikes use decent components and lightweight aluminum frames, I immediately began modding the bike, adding Wald training wheels, a stem riser to make a more upright riding position, and I ordered an Alpina sprung saddle for a 16" bike from the Netherlands. Since picking it up I've noticed loads of kids riding Co-Op Rev bikes in our neighborhood.

REI's member 10% dividend brings the price of the more powerful e2.2 model under two grand, and with in-store bike servicing should make these new Co-Op ebikes compelling. I love they fitted a proper frame-integrated rack, and ebike lights - Giant in the US please take note, stop decontenting your ebikes for the US market! It is a pity about the mid-step/step-through only being available on the Small frame size but hopefully these will sell well to encourage them to think more broadly.

I do have a question, do these look like adjustable reach brake levers for the Shimano hydraulic brakes on the CTY e2.2 model? I see what looks like an Allen bolt head which to my laymans eye suggests they are but what do you think?
b70d620e-960f-44a5-870c-57481c7e0f1b

Last edited:
A member since 1967.

A quick search and you’ll see the bankruptcy is quite current. Big bummer!

I did a search before I initially posted and saw that they decided to sell their new HQ building, but that isn’t bankruptcy of the company, but an intelligent move to cut costs during the pandemic and many management employees working remotely. I found lots of stories pondering about which retailers might go bankrupt in the near future. I also found a story about a bankruptcy case involving a real estate lease at one of their stores some years ago, but I was never able to find a story about REI going bankrupt sometime in the last five years. I found that there is at least one company with the stock exchange abbreviation of REI, but it isn’t the Recreational Equipment, Inc., that we are discussing here.

Could you please post the link to the bankruptcy story that you found? Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, they opened just last year in the US, currently just the 2 stores in San Francisco, I bought my rain poncho from them. Decathlon have not yet brought in any of their EU ebikes to the US, but are distributing Aventon ebikes
I wonder if Decathlon will bring any of their e-bikes to the United States but I've noticed one of their hard-tail MTBs was really nice and cost effective. Brose T motor... (the price is in Pound Sterling)

Back