2nd Bosch Powerpack Battery - Used in Parallel How ?

TommyBoy

I have a Scott ebike with a Bosch Powerpack 400 battery. I find the range somewhat limiting in our very hilly terrain on the BC Sunshine Coast in W-Canada, therefore I bought a second one. Of course I can carry it in my panier and install it when the first one is empty.

Questions:

1) How do I mount the second one though so it feeds power in parallel to the first one ? Do I need to buy a special adapter, and if so, which one? Can (or should one) one wire it cheaply, say directly out of the panier, with some cables and plugs that are easily detachable if one goes for a shorter ride only ?

2) where can one buy those online as I found the prices horribly high even online.

3) What other brand is "plug compatible" (if any) ?

you cant the motor would need a update from someone that has a manufactures updater. my tandem was made to carry two batteries but not from the factory so until it can be updated to do so the second battery holder is jsut that. but if you install two batteries it drains both batteries so more charging hassles. Plus I dont know if you can even get the right wires to do it or the mount.

Some of the Specialized ebikes can electrically connect an extension battery. I believe their Turbo SL, Creo SL and Levo SL ebikes accept extender batteries. The capacity of these extender batteries is smallish adding something like 160WHr for 40-80 miles of range.

I believe you can manage the power draw from the extender battery through the Specialized Mission Control app, but I'm not really clear on this.

I know nothing about Scott ebikes or Bosch powerpaks, but I do not see how the bike (the controller) would have any idea if 2 batteries in parallel were hooked up, or just one. I respectfully question these responses?

I know nothing about Scott ebikes or Bosch powerpaks, but I do not see how the bike (the controller) would have any idea if 2 batteries in parallel were hooked up, or just one. I respectfully question these responses?
this is not a cheap Chinese system where you can swap parts. a two battery bosch bike will pull power from each battery in turn letting them drain evenly. the bike is really connected together and the battery is not just connected by two wires to the bike. like if I could find the right cable that would go onto my tandem it would not do anything till the motor was flashed to access it.

The Bosh & Brose systems have firmware embedded in the motors, controllers, and battery packs so they all 'talk' to each other, and to the system diagnostics dealers use. That's how the Specialized ebikes can manage an extender battery from their app.

Again, the question is first and foremost HOW to connect two batteries instead of one.
This gives you a pretty good idea of the cables involved. (Might want to put on English cc unless you understand German). As others have said, you need to have compatible firmware on your Bosch motor for it to work. And it's Bosch, the parts are going to be expensive.

1600140284274.png

Last edited:
This gives you a pretty good idea of the cables involved. (Might want to put on English cc unless you understand German). As others have said, you need to have compatible firmware on your Bosch motor for it to work. And it's Bosch, the parts are going to be expensive.

Danke !

Ja, verstehe Deutsch !

How do you get that firmware upgrade, if needed for my motor?

Danke !

Ja, verstehe Deutsch !

Only from a tech at a Bosch dealer. Same place you get your upgrades now. But I've never seen the need to spend that money compared to carrying a second one in a pannier. I've been doing that for 3 years.

View attachment 65409
range extender = second battery ? Or just a bigger / different battery ? How to connect TWO batteries ? With that split cable ? What is the exact name of that ? Where can I get that online ?

range extender = second battery ? Or just a bigger / different battery ? How to connect TWO batteries ? With that split cable ? What is the exact name of that ? Where can I get that online ?
I just ride on a battery until it gives me range of 5 miles left. Then swap the fresh battery out of the pannier with the battery on the bike. Takes about 30 seconds and I’m riding again.

Danke !

Ja, verstehe Deutsch !

It depends a bit from which year your motor is it seems. I've got confirmation it works on 2018 and newer motors. Seeing it was introduced at the end of 2016 or early 2017 I would suspect these motors to work as well. Anything older I wouldn't try it on. Our bike (2018 engine) was retrofitted with a 2nd battery last year. Basically, you need the Y-cable from Bosch (available in online stores and your local dealer can order it for example: https://www.ks-bikes.de/Bosch_Dual_Battery_Y-Kabel,_inkl._Kit_Rahmen_-_Gepäckträger.html).

You need to get the correct variant for your need (frame, carrier battery etc) and simply connect it. Have the software on the engine, batteries and display updated by your local (Bosch) dealer who has the token and software. This is a 5-10 minute process and they can do for free or often for a small fee (usually EUR 20-30 here).

Bosch offers the dual battery option to all OEMs and it is up to the OEM to spec that on a particular bike or not.
For cost reasons, most OEMs don't end up offering that.
The reason why dual battery Y-cable is not sold by Bosch is that to make it work effectively, the battery, the motor controller needs to have the same firmware so they can communicate effectively.
Another important reason is, if the frame is not designed to carry that second battery in a proper position (with adequate testing), it could lead to dangerous circumstances. You can see some DIY bikes with wires hanging all over and frankly, it is not safe to bike with wires that are not crimped properly in a rainy conditions or situations that could lead to electrical malfunction.
Bosch has 2 layers of safety built into it. If any of the batteries have a cell failure then the system will shut that pack and use only one of them. Each pack has its own BMS that constantly monitors the cell temperature and voltage.

1604797236749.png

I have a Scott ebike with a Bosch Powerpack 400 battery. I find the range somewhat limiting in our very hilly terrain on the BC Sunshine Coast in W-Canada, therefore I bought a second one. Of course I can carry it in my panier and install it when the first one is empty.

Questions:

1) How do I mount the second one though so it feeds power in parallel to the first one ? Do I need to buy a special adapter, and if so, which one? Can (or should one) one wire it cheaply, say directly out of the panier, with some cables and plugs that are easily detachable if one goes for a shorter ride only ?

2) where can one buy those online as I found the prices horribly high even online.

Hi, I designed / 3D printed the Bosch Powerpack 500 connector. I have been able to make a 2A car charger (
). I also designed a cable to hook up to the Grin Cycle Satiator charger (
). I haven't looked into hooking up a second Bosch battery (I don't have one yet ;-) I have put the 3D models on Thingiverse.

Tom, I think the answer to each of your three questions is 'not possible'.

Bosch and DIY are best considered incompatible.
I have been able to design/3D print the battery connector. I also figured out how to build a 2A car charger and a cable for the Grin Cycle Satiator charger. I put the designs on Thingiverse. I haven't tried to parallel a battery yet ;-)

Hi, I designed / 3D printed the Bosch Powerpack 500 connector. I have been able to make a 2A car charger (
). I also designed a cable to hook up to the Grin Cycle Satiator charger (
). I haven't looked into hooking up a second Bosch battery (I don't have one yet ;-) I have put the 3D models on Thingiverse.
Fantastic! Have you tried charging with more than 4A?
In this video starting at approx 26'30" he mentions they could handle up to 5.3A before the Bosch BMS switches off charging current.

Having the integrated 2nd battery setup on a Bosch offers some real convenience and performance advantages.
  • The system takes 5% from each battery back and forth, keeping the battery temperature low and assuring even usage of both batteries over time. This also gives you a minor boost in range.
  • Both batteries are changed in sequence, one after the other when the bike is plugged in. For a faster charge a second charger with the battery off the bike is needed.
  • The second battery mounting location is generally far better balanced when the battery sits in a fixed mount designed for the bike as opposed to rolling around in a back pack or jostling about in a pannier.
  • The ongoing range and battery percentage readout reflects the presence of both batteries.
The Bosch system is not one you want to attempt DIY projects on. It is well thought out, well designed, very reliable and should really only be worked on by certified Bosch technicians at shops that sell Bosch powered bikes.

Back