EG Maui 500 EX

harryS

Just got it four days ago at Lennys in Madison. It now has 24 miles on it, 2 by me and 22 by my wife on two rides. She says it's effortless and she probably could outlast my 67 year old legs. Good thing I have a Transeo city bike or I might not keep pace on hills.

The cruiser style is big for her, but after she gets used to the wide turning circle and is more comfortable with starting from a dead stop, she will be fine.

I'm not sure the battery readout on the LCD display works right. It didn't change after 24 miles on pedal assist 2, but I hooked up the charger and the battery lights indicated it was down 25-50% with two of four LED's lit. Will give it another 30 miles to see.

One week review:

Very happy we picked the 500W motor and 48V battery. My wife will ride in PAS2 at 10-13 mph and isn't tired. I'm 55 lbs heavier at 200 lbs, but it moves me along. I've gotten as fast as 25 mph in PAS5, but that's too fast for a bike where you sit back and hold the handlebars like a Foosball machine. Both of us like to pedal, and I cannot see where a throttle only machine would be satisfactory. Sometimes even PAS2 pushes me back in the saddle like the goofy villain in Road Warrior 2 when he dials in the NOS.

It is a heavy bike, but I can manage the local hill in low gear on human power only. One has to be careful maneuvering in tight places with PAS. I tell my wife to kill PAS in those situations.

I did buy a Swagman XTC carrier as I don't want to use either of the two hanging carriers I own. I will transport with the battery removed. In hindsight, I wish the Swagman used a 2 inch metal beam, instead of the 1-1/4, for the greater strength and resistance to twist. If you transport the bike in a SUV or station wagon, lean it on the side away from the rear hub wiring. Nothing happened, but you don't want pressure on the wire coming out of the hub.

We were in a hurry to get home from Lennys, so I should have asked more questions. The manual mentioned a battery LED display, and I finally found it. Also appears to have a USB port for charging a phone, or at least a cover for one . Thru trial and error, I discovered how to reset the trip odometer (hold the mode button). Holding the PAS selector buttons turns a head light on/off, but there is no headlight connected. Perhaps there's an unused connector on the controller. Maybe it's possible to switch between kilometers and miles.

I had 5 out of 6 bars showing on the LCD battery display so it works, but after riding a mile with PAS off, it went back to 6. Maybe that was due to the battery warming up in the 93F ambient. I had the bike indoors in an air conditioned alcove.

Glad I got the chance to try one, and glad we bought it.

One week review:

Very happy we picked the 500W motor and 48V battery. My wife will ride in PAS2 at 10-13 mph and isn't tired. I'm 55 lbs heavier at 200 lbs, but it moves me along. I've gotten as fast as 25 mph in PAS5, but that's too fast for a bike where you sit back and hold the handlebars like a Foosball machine. Both of us like to pedal, and I cannot see where a throttle only machine would be satisfactory. Sometimes even PAS2 pushes me back in the saddle like the goofy villain in Road Warrior 2 when he dials in the NOS.

It is a heavy bike, but I can manage the local hill in low gear on human power only. One has to be careful maneuvering in tight places with PAS. I tell my wife to kill PAS in those situations.

I did buy a Swagman XTC carrier as I don't want to use either of the two hanging carriers I own. I will transport with the battery removed. In hindsight, I wish the Swagman used a 2 inch metal beam, instead of the 1-1/4, for the greater strength and resistance to twist. If you transport the bike in a SUV or station wagon, lean it on the side away from the rear hub wiring. Nothing happened, but you don't want pressure on the wire coming out of the hub.

We were in a hurry to get home from Lennys, so I should have asked more questions. The manual mentioned a battery LED display, and I finally found it. Also appears to have a USB port for charging a phone, or at least a cover for one . Thru trial and error, I discovered how to reset the trip odometer (hold the mode button). Holding the PAS selector buttons turns a head light on/off, but there is no headlight connected. Perhaps there's an unused connector on the controller. Maybe it's possible to switch between kilometers and miles.

I had 5 out of 6 bars showing on the LCD battery display so it works, but after riding a mile with PAS off, it went back to 6. Maybe that was due to the battery warming up in the 93F ambient. I had the bike indoors in an air conditioned alcove.

Glad I got the chance to try one, and glad we bought it.

Hi,
I live in Monona, and will be going to Lenny's this weekend. I am really having a difficult time, making a final ebike choice.
I am 5'4", 145, why did your wife choose this bike, vs a Pedego, etc.? Was price a factor, I know Lenny is a huge EG dealer.
Thanks
Irene

EG bikes and E-Joe ebikes are definitely less expensive than Pedego and all 3 offer a wide variety of styles & motor sizes, so you need to think about what your terrain is like where you plan to ride, how far you think you might want to ride and the features you would like on the bike. Some brands include more extras that can add to the price or on the flip side, this may mean you have to spend less on the add-ons like racks, lights, etc. Really look at what bike fits you the most comfortably because that's the one you won't hesitate to hop on for a ride or errands. If it becomes a chore to maneuver the bike due to weight or overall size it's not a bargain even if it costs less; you're not as likely to ride as often. Think about this before the visit and test ride a number of ebikes. A bit more spent on a bike that really works for you is the real value.

Our budget put us in the Athens price range, My wife picked this one over the smaller EG Athens because she likes bargains and the price was not much more.. She'll buy shoes that are slightly too big because of price too. In truth, the smaller one fits her riding style better.

It's a comfortable bike on the street, where size is no matter. On a narrower bike path, the cruiser style has you too high to go thru corners quickly and a bit unwieldy if there's lots of crowds, including strollers, dogs, pedestrians. We only ride the paths on weekday mornings when they are empty. Too many people will ride two abreast here, with elbows and bars sticking out way over the center line, forcing you to move over to about 6 inches from the edge of the asphalt. Not safe at all.

Our budget put us in the Athens price range, My wife picked this one over the smaller EG Athens because she likes bargains and the price was not much more.. She'll buy shoes that are slightly too big because of price too. In truth, the smaller one fits her riding style better.

It's a comfortable bike on the street, where size is no matter. On a narrower bike path, the cruiser style has you too high to go thru corners quickly and a bit unwieldy if there's lots of crowds, including strollers, dogs, pedestrians. We only ride the paths on weekday mornings when they are empty. Too many people will ride two abreast here, with elbows and bars sticking out way over the center line, forcing you to move over to about 6 inches from the edge of the asphalt. Not safe at all.

Do you think a 500w is better than a 250, battery make the difference?

EG bikes and E-Joe ebikes are definitely less expensive than Pedego and all 3 offer a wide variety of styles & motor sizes, so you need to think about what your terrain is like where you plan to ride, how far you think you might want to ride and the features you would like on the bike. Some brands include more extras that can add to the price or on the flip side, this may mean you have to spend less on the add-ons like racks, lights, etc. Really look at what bike fits you the most comfortably because that's the one you won't hesitate to hop on for a ride or errands. If it becomes a chore to maneuver the bike due to weight or overall size it's not a bargain even if it costs less; you're not as likely to ride as often. Think about this before the visit and test ride a number of ebikes. A bit more spent on a bike that really works for you is the real value.
I have it down to a city/cruiser by EG, Pedego, Evelo, and Izip, same features. In your opinion, just get the good $ & accessories, they are all good manufacturers?

I have it down to a city/cruiser by EG, Pedego, Evelo, and Izip, same features. In your opinion, just get the good $ & accessories, they are all good manufacturers?

Irene,
What is the budget you're looking at?
We can suggest you few good choices in that price range. So, when you come in tomorrow, you exactly know what to test and are not overwhelmed by the choices.

Irene,
What is the budget you're looking at?
We can suggest you few good choices in that price range. So, when you come in tomorrow, you exactly know what to test and are not overwhelmed by the choices.
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have it down to (I think) 3 bikes. I know the features that I want, city/cruiser, Maui, Interceptor, being 2 of them. I have spoken with Henry, at COS, and just spoke with Allen, on the phone.
Will tomorrow be busier than this evening?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I have it down to (I think) 3 bikes. I know the features that I want, city/cruiser, Maui, Interceptor, being 2 of them. I have spoken with Henry, at COS, and just spoke with Allen, on the phone.
Will tomorrow be busier than this evening?

2015 EG Maui's come with an upgraded 48 V motor and battery combination. It has plenty of power to tackle any hill.
Our weekends are always busier but you're welcome to drop by anytime. Just give us a heads up.

Last edited:
Sounds like Lenny's all ready for you Irene! Have fun with whichever ebike you choose. Looking forward to hearing back from you with pics, if you can. :)

I tilted the handlebars down this morning, so it's no longer like riding and playing Foosball at the same time. Makes for a more secure ride, in my opinion, and just as comfortable.

Back