Ideas and Requests for Guides

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! Way back in 2012, when I launched EBR, I wanted to do more than just review bikes. My intent with this website has always been to help people make the best decisions for their lifestyle and budget. To this end, I created a few "getting started" guides that focused in on what I thought were important topics... But what do I really know about what YOU think is important :)

You can still find a handful of those original guides here but I may eventually migrate them to this space instead. Once the forum launched, I realized that it was a much better place for sharing guide-like content because people could comment and enhance the initial article. This post is meant to serve as a "catch all" for guide requests. Post your ideas here, and I'll do my best to build some content or get some help from friends. Anyone is welcome to make guides! The difference from an ordinary post is just that the content may be deeper, more technical, include more supporting sources and images etc. so as to serve as a truly informed source and not just an opinion.

Thanks!
Court

A few thoughts...

One would be that you could have a video on "every-ride-carry" like the one appended to the end of this message. I think that is a great approach.

Another would be a short(ish) video on bike bags and another one on inexpensive bike bags. I think that you need to hit both ends of the spectrum because there are a lot of great companies out there these days making awesome bike bags but a lot of people will be very put off by a $200 price on a handlebar bag. Again, there are a lot of great companies out there making really innovative bike bags but for a lot of people and a lot of bike shops only a few brands (Ortlieb, Revelate) seem to exist but opening up people's eyes to products from Swift Industries, Arkel, Rogue Panda, &c might be really productive.

Another fun video would be about bike baskets. Baskets are inexpensive and wildly underrated by cyclists. They are also incredibly flexible if you need to carry groceries, boxes of wine, firewood, or puppies.

Thanks for your site. And here is the "every-ride-carry" video that I like:

Court - I'd like to see you make a series of what ideal specs you'd look for on each type of bike (step thru, commuter, urban, emtb etc). I see a lot of people struggle with what type of bike to buy and what to look for, and end up buying some lousy (or vastly overpriced) bikes. Often you add your opinions tangentially in some of your reviews, but I haven't seen one where you put all the pieces together.

Maybe do reviews on your Top Pick bikes side-by-side comparing best vs value for each segment. And maybe special vids where you see time-sensitive deep-value bikes.

Of course, everyone has an opinion, but you get to ride so many bikes and see significant variation in build quality/support etc that your views would be helpful. Most everyone else has a vested interest in selling their own product.

If you don't want to do more vids, perhaps live streaming would be an alternative - think you'd drive more engagement and perhaps could get some Patreon subscribers.

Finally, while you do a great job with vids, I suspect you're getting burned out doing same thing over and over and traveling so often. Curious if you have other irons in the fire?

A guide on how to select a standard bike for an ebike conversion would come in handy. I was planning my first conversion on an old beach cruiser but found that the forks wouldn't support disc brakes and the bottom bracket didn't support pedelec.

It would be nice to know what's necessary on a standard bike such as brakes, frame type and material, etc. I'm sure there are lots of requirements I'm not aware of and I would rather find out about them BEFORE I buy a secondhand bike to convert.

I would like to see the advanced search expanded to include more attributes of the bikes. I am short and both the stand over height and the minimum saddle height are very important to me. I also need to fit the bike into my Prius (don't want a rack if I can avoid it), so length, length with front wheel removed, and folded dimensions are also important. Is is difficult to narrow down the possible bikes when most of my selection criteria is manual.

A lot of discussion groups have what are referred to as 'stickies'. These are threads that remain up top, first in line, permanently in categories. Usually sectioned/walled off from the rest of the category and always remain up top. They are often closed once they run their course and are for reference guides with easy access to real popular subjects, like "how to buy an e-bike", threads with tips on say, buying bars, pedals, gear, etc. They give members a place to educate themselves before posting up the same questions we see every day, to eliminate repetition. You could put all these guides once compiled as stickies. CN

A lot of discussion groups have what are referred to as 'stickies'. These are threads that remain up top, first in line, permanently in categories. Usually sectioned/walled off from the rest of the category and always remain up top. They are often closed once they run their course and are for reference guides with easy access to real popular subjects, like "how to buy an e-bike", threads with tips on say, buying bars, pedals, gear, etc. They give members a place to educate themselves before posting up the same questions we see every day, to eliminate repetition. You could put all these guides once compiled as stickies. CN
There are stickies. They show up on the top of the respective forum and have a pushpin icon.

There are stickies. They show up on the top of the respective forum and have a pushpin icon.
I don't see any at all. Pushpin? Where?
If I post a new thread into a category it goes right to the top, that is, it pushes the previous post down.
A new post would go down past all the stickies that reside in a group of its own at the very top.
I guess I call stickies something else then, 'cause it sure isn't happening here.
CN

OK....I see what you mean, but there are so few of them on this entire site and they don't stand out at all.
I never even noticed one before. A lot of the sites I go to have them up top, cordoned off from the body of non-stickie posts. I guess my point would be that they are almost non existent on this site, and hence, all these so called guides have not been developed. (I would think that there are many threads about certain subjects already here that qualify to be stickies and should/could be presented as such.
CN

Some guides I'd like to see: a guide to motors (placement, brands, noise, power, things to consider... ); a guide to batteries (types, longevity, charging, ...); how to pick a bike for: hilly terrain, for commuting, for long rides, to compensate for a handicap or aging body or very short or tall or heavy body, for touring, for rail to trail type riding, for multiple purposes ...; ways to transport your bike ...; how to customize an existing bike; handlebar types; and right now a guide to how to find a bike given shortages (wait or pick from available stock, what do manufacturer's say about when bikes might be more available ...). I know a lot of this content can be found but it sometimes takes some digging.

@Bikeknit, I cannot create guides for all of these variables. But if you have a specific riding style in mind for a specific rider's needs, I can help you look in the right direction.

Sorry for the long list @PedalUma I'm a retired librarian and was probably building an index! I need a multipurpose bike as I don't have the space for bikes for different purposes. My city is hilly so I need a bike that can handle hills for both errands and rides with friends. I also like to ride crushed rock type trails (rails to trails and other recreational trails) and every year or so I go on week long, moderate mileage credit card style tours (Have decided I'm too old to lug much gear or sleep on the ground). In the analog bike world I ride a touring bike (with butterly handlebars) for all of those purposes. Don't know if I can replicate that multipurpose functionality in the world of ebikes.

Okay. It would be cool if there were a decision tree!
I will show you a couple of example bikes. These are probably not your size but that is easy enough. Tell me what you like and do not like about these bikes. I also want you to look at a female specific brand, Liv. The second bike is not electric, yet. That is easy enough to change. It is a Marin Four Corners that checks all your boxes. The first example is of a Marin bike that I made electric. What appears at first to be a water bottle is the battery. You can see the display in blue on the left handlebar. This is exactly what a good electric bike looks like. The final white one is a $300 bike that is now electric and can out run $9400 bikes from stores.
1635793204395.jpeg

1635794408871.jpeg

1635793445174.jpeg

1635793557397.jpeg

I ve looked i the forum for my topic but I could not find it. I apologize for being here.. if you can guide me To the correct forum I would be grateful. ……The Question …..I want to upgrade my rear ehub I have a 2000watt presently and I want to upgrade to either a 3000 watt of 5000watt I would like recommendations from the forum as to where you would buy a new ehub wheel. I bought the 2k ehub on Amazon and the 0-9mph is pretty gutless after 9mph the torque and speed gets up but I can only get to 28-30mph. I’m under the impression they are capable of 38-43mph…anyway…I want low end torque and I want the top speed to be as it was designed to be..please help

Court
I have an XL program, I made up for Hunting Step up E bikes,
in 2-21/22, while I was looking for my Hunting E bike, there is 60 brand name listed bikes, with 28 different categories, from price to Optional equipment supplied by the OEM maker,
I would like to and be willing to share with this site.

BUT, I don't know how to post the information, all this electronic formatting has thrown me under the bus, so I'll need some help if you want to have it posted here.
Your thoughts and suggestions,
Tia, Don
PriceMotor SizeMotor Drive TypeTorque OutputRider SizeSpeed MPH MaxBattery SizeHrs Charge TimeMax Range MilesWheel sizeSuspensionGearing TypeSpeed Number of gearsBrake TypeStep Over HeightStep Thru Frame MaterialBike Weight with BatteryMax Bike Carrying WeightMax Towing WeightMax Carrying weight of RacksSensors Torque PASThrottleUSB portWalk ModeEco/ Sport ModesCertificationsOptinal Equip #
Here is the list of these bikes, ALL are Step Thru styles,)
HUB DRIVE
Wildeway KW26 ST
Bee Cool PathFinder ST
Rattan Pathfinder ST
Lectric X Peak ST
ET Cycle T720 ST
Go Trax Tundra ST
Velotric Nomad 1 ST
Mooncool MC 3 AWD ST
Heybike Explore ST
Himiway Zebra All terrain ST
Bandit X Trail Urban ST