2026 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

View attachment 215888

Possibly my last analog ride for a while, dependent on my new bike arriving this week...no updates as yet though but Friday will be 20 working days since I placed my order and they say they usually deliver within the 20 days so here's hoping I get some good news shortly! No news about my motor from the motor centre as yet, they list 15 working days for a turnaround but its only been 5 days so the wait continues in the hope my circuit board is good...

This was my last ride this month and I only managed 285 miles from a paultry 5 rides, 216 analog and 69 e bike miles! I have been enjoying the old Hybrid but the e bike is way more fun, especially given the hills here and the incessant 20+ mph winds! The tailwinds sure are fun but those headwinds are brutal...

I could have picked a much easier start to my ride, with a lot of climbing for the first 5 miles or so! My plan was to use the back roads to Hareshaw and head down to Allanton, I was a little worried the Hareshaw road might be flooded after yesterdays monsoon weather but it was fine!

View attachment 215889
View attachment 215890
The final descent down to Allanton was amazing but then it was back to the climbs from Allanton over the back roads to Carluke and yet more climbing up to Yieldshileds!

I had a very nice view of the Pentland Hills at Yieldshields!

View attachment 215891
This descent was a lot of fun and the view wasn't too shabby either!

View attachment 215892
View attachment 215893
I passed these beautiful Clydesdale horses and the black and white one jumped, I'm not sure if it was the horse or me that got the bigger fright... 😂

View attachment 215894
The Alpacas were enjoying the sunshine!

View attachment 215895
Another fun descent!

View attachment 215896
The narrow twisty road to the White Loch near Carnwath, I stopped for a few photos at the loch!

View attachment 215897
View attachment 215898
Tinto Hill in the background!

View attachment 215899
View attachment 215900
View attachment 215901
The cycle path at Carnwath, just a short one though!

View attachment 215902
View attachment 215903
From Carnwath I joined the A70 to enjoy the 20-25mph tailwind from the SW, I had another stunning view of the Pentlands a short time later!

View attachment 215904
Love this road, its mostly in good condition!

View attachment 215905
It was a gradual ascent at this point but the tailwind made it a breeze today, just after this I had some tougher climbs though but I was looking forward to the descents coming soon! I stopped for many photos along the A70!

View attachment 215906
Then came the best part, I was really flying here!

View attachment 215907
Cobbinshaw Reservoir!

View attachment 215908
The Ochil Hills in the background, these windfarms are everywhere now!

View attachment 215909
More nice views of the Pentlands from the A70!

View attachment 215910
View attachment 215911
The final photo before turning north towards Harburn, one of my favourite roads!

View attachment 215912
It starts with a big climb and then its mostly descending down through Harburn and on to West Calder! Now it was time to turn into the wind pretty much all the way home, 20 miles of 20-25mph headwind was tough going! I used the cycle paths as much as possible to shelter from the wind but by the time I got home I was running on fumes, what a great day though!

View attachment 215913
View attachment 215914
That's a nice bike, ever think of just putting some sort of DIY kit on it? Not stumping for them but a Keyde hub drive is ultra simple to install, works pretty well for me including 10-16% grades (with low gear and a good amount of effort) and you get to keep your 3x drivetrain.
 
Do you use a range extender battery on this bike? I am curious as to what you estimate the range is without a range extender battery?
Andrew, I use as many as four Range Extenders on my long Vado SL 1 rides. The main battery is equivalent to two REs, so I would say the main battery range on the 50/100% assistance could be around 52-60 km. However, it is not that simple as it sounds. First of all, the Specialized system allows setting the Assist and the Max Motor Power freely for many scenarios: long range or performance.

My ailing legs only deliver on average 55 W on a calm ride or 80 W when I really try, so I need a ton of assistance. See these scenarios for the main battery range:
  • 35/100% assistance (leg power times 0.63, motor power up to 240 W), average leg power 84 W, range 80 km
  • 55/55% assistance (leg power * 0.99, motor power up to 132 W), average leg power 85 W, range 81 km
  • 60/60% assistance (leg power * 1.08, motor power up to 144 W), average leg power 99 W, range 77 km.
Important to mention, I always ride with at least one Range Extender. With the levels of assistance as above, I can ride up to 100-116 km.
Above 60/60% assistance (or from 50/100%), the battery range starts dropping off the cliff. My usual scenario on gravel "races" is 80/80% assistance. In such a case, I need Range Extenders:

1790748930698.png

Each Range Extender weighs 1.0 kg. The active one is mounted and connected as #1 here. #2 waits in the water bottle cage. #3 and 4 are secured in the pannier. I use a 3 litre hydration pack and also can carry more water in the pannier.

Four Specialized Range Extenders weigh the same as a single big spare battery for a full power e-bike but the weight is nicely distributed here.
 
Last edited:
Thanks, Stefan. That helps translate Specialised range measurements, which are in hours; five hours without the range extender and 6+ hours with.
 
That's a nice bike, ever think of just putting some sort of DIY kit on it? Not stumping for them but a Keyde hub drive is ultra simple to install, works pretty well for me including 10-16% grades (with low gear and a good amount of effort) and you get to keep your 3x drivetrain.
Thank you but having just shelled out on a new bike its not something I would really consider! I might revisit it if my motor from my old bike is unrepairable though...as a last resort!
 
1790794139986.png

Great Lakes Gravel 2026 photos by Mateusz Klimek :)

You may also skip to 35:14 where I can be seen past the flying finish line and welcoming several finishers :) My brother is waving the chequered flag.
 
Last edited:
Back