2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

My neighbors’ ostentatious display…some people. I first met them after my cows got out and I found them in what passed for their backyard. The woman helped me for an hour getting them back in.
I’ve been riding more, still local, enjoying this cool September weather, unusual this time of year for central Virginia.
IMG_0651.jpeg
IMG_0641.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0651.jpeg
    IMG_0651.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0641.jpeg
    IMG_0641.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 35
We rode 24 miles on the Sangamon Valley Trail today in Springfield. Nice trail, all paved and still pretty smooth. It runs along the west side of Springfield Illinois. It has a bridge over the Sangamon River. The last picture is where it ends and will be extended some day maybe.
IMG_3632.jpeg
IMG_3633.jpeg
IMG_3634.jpeg

I briefly rode my brother in law’s Lectric and I think the model is XPress 750. It’s a hub drive, has a throttle, lots of power and torque sensing. He had it set for level 3 and I never touched the throttle. One rotation of the crank and it felt like I was going 15 mph. I turned it down to level 2, still lots of surge with each stroke of the pedal, on level 1 it was pretty decent. I have to admit the power would be nice at times but it would be too tempting to use and not get the workout I want. For the money I can see the attraction, roughly $1300 US.

Yesterday’s ride would take place less than an hour’s drive east of our city limits starting out from the little town of Mirror. From there, we would circumnavigate Buffalo Lake along Hwys 21, 53, 56 and 601.

Screenshot_8-9-2024_9229_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Screenshot_8-9-2024_92646_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Not much to say about this quiet tiny hamlet other than it appears to be a peaceful living environment for its residents. It became the hub for pioneer homesteaders between 1870-1930. Back then there were no roads only primitive trails where one would either walk or ride a horse driven cart/wagon. Admission to the Mirror District Museum is based solely on donation but it would have to wait another day as time was pressing and we still had a long ride ahead of us.

PXL_20240907_215419821.NIGHT.jpg

This antique market also doubles as the curling rink during winter months.

PXL_20240907_220135776.jpg

Today, those same well worn cart trails are now known as highway 21. From here, Sai pushes on north towards the Town of Bashaw 18 km away. Being that it was a weekend, traffic was hectic at times along this stretch of road but nice wide shoulders made it tolerable.

GH013513 - frame at 0m2s.jpg

A kilometer up the road is the Mirror cemetery. There are at least 30 others like it within 48km from outside the townsite. These historical burial grounds were built to remember lives and help us to connect to the past.

PXL_20240907_171942615.jpg

Bashaw’s town center. Pretty well everything a small community might need is right here including two locally owned grocery stores. Our arrival was a bit of an eye opener. One might ponder how Bashaw’s 850 residents eke out a living but judging by the modest size of its center’s amenities make it out to be a much larger community than we initially thought.

PXL_20240907_175634287.jpg

The mural on this remodeled Quonset at the edge of the main street was made to look like the original Texaco station that once occupied the empty lot next to it. The sign though is the original from the old station.

PXL_20240907_175502081.MP.jpg

What looked like a church with a resplendent bell tower was, in fact, a café. We wanted to drop by but it just wasn’t meant to be as it was closed for renovations.

GH013518 - frame at 0m7s.jpg

We stopped to replenish our water and briefly took shelter from the hot sun before pushing on. Temperature would exceed 30 C later in the day.

PXL_20240907_175828980.jpg

At first what I thought might appear to be a bakery turned out to be the town’s cannabis dispensary. Getting baked, I get it. 😃

GH013518 - frame at 0m28s.jpg

The local sporting goods…er gunshop/ammo shop.

PXL_20240907_175811847.jpg

As we made our way out of the townsite and rode east along #53, it became apparent just how dire the drought conditions have been impacting many of the surrounding wetlands and marshes. Salt and minerals left behind indicate just how dry it’s been recently.

PXL_20240907_181213395.jpg

A few kms up the road was the road to Pelican Point Estates. Located 10 km south of Hwy 53, it provides access to the north shores of Buffalo Lake. We started riding along the well manicured road hoping to dip our feet in the cool waters but gave up once we discovered that the out and back would take too much of our time. The searing heat was clearly becoming a concern.

PXL_20240907_183623694.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

In contrast to the parched roadside ponds, this oasis in the middle of a patchwork of farmland along the Pelican Point road seemed to be fairing much better as indicated by the abundance of wildfowl.

PXL_20240907_184319528.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

As we completed the east leg along #53 and turned south onto #56, it became apparent that the shoulders were not built with cyclists in mind. With that said, I should point out that many rural roads in the central regions of the province are not. With only inches on either side of the rumble strips, we were forced to ride on the left-most edge of the shoulder much of the time relying religiously on our Varias to monitor traffic approaching from behind us.

GH013521 - frame at 0m25s.jpg
GH013521 - frame at 0m53s.jpg

I admire the workmanship that goes into the ironwork on some farm entrances. Arches seem to rule the day here while putting pride and purpose on display.

PXL_20240907_194841894.jpg

Seems like JT our PM has been working overtime trying to make inroads here. ;)

PXL_20240907_203123219.jpg

A typical ranch scene along #601 that featured a cute red barn and well cared for steeds.

PXL_20240907_203254690.jpg

Hmmm…I wonder if Ellen would be there to rescue me if I was suddenly attacked by extra-terrestrial xenomorphs.

PXL_20240907_211926804.jpg

The final approach to Hwy 21 and only a few more kms to go.

PXL_20240907_212651751.MP.jpg

GH013526 - frame at 0m20s.jpg

A welcome relief to back in Mirror and it couldn’t have come sooner as we were out of water. The moment we returned to the car, we filled up on electrolytes and hit the road back towards homebase. Today’s recovery ride should be much cooler in comparison. We were scheduled to ride the four hills of Banff on Monday but me thinks that will have to wait until later until next week. 1000 + meters of gain will take all that we can muster if we plan to tackle that ride.

Last edited:
Not a hell of a lot of winding country roads out that way, Art? You certainly seem to find some balance with the forays over towards Banff and that region!

I got a very nice ride in the other day on a rented Trek Verve over in Niagara On The Lake in Ontario, about fifteen minutes north of Niagara Falls. Absolutely beautiful town, lovely ride along the Niagara River Parkway, scenery all over the place and I never got around to taking a single photo. Massive fail 😏

Edit/additional: I do have a pic of one of the bike paths from an earlier trip, though:
1725817752925.jpeg

Last edited:
1725816693229.png

Is the perfect bike ride a reality? today it happened for me so I would say yes it is!

My day started off with a low, I was intending to go to Knockhill for the car racing but the weather had other ideas and left a blanket of dense fog at home and up at Knockhill! I decided I would go in the car but thought I should check on conditions at Knockhill before wasting fuel, I tuned into the online commentary at the circuit as the practise and qualifying should have been happening at this time and all I could hear was chatting and music! Eventually they said there was no action on track due to the fog and were hoping it would lift soon, the action was supposed to start at 8.30am and didn't get underway until almost 11.30am! At that point I decided it wasn't worth travelling as there was every chance the fog would return...

I then looked out of my window and the fog had lifted, it was still misty but I could see much further now so I decided to chance it and hope things didn't go downhill...it was my best decision ever! 😁What then ensued was utter cycling perfection, from the first pedal stroke to the last pedal stroke 70 miles later! I like to ride fast and love ups and downs and twists and turns and this ride had everything I could ever ask for! I made my way out to Breich and took on the big climb up to Forth, with light winds it was the perfect day for this road which climbs up to over 1100ft!

1725818802231.jpeg

1725818863682.jpeg

From the top looking back down!

1725818890141.jpeg

I found a safe spot to plonk the bike while taking the photos!;)

1725818947830.jpeg

After the climb the road descends gradually towards Forth and I was flying along and absolutely loving it, just before Forth I turned on to the back road to Breahead and this road is a cyclists dream with mostly downhills in this direction and lots of twists and turns! I then stopped before the climb up to Braehead for a snack and took this photo!

1725819255361.jpeg

After the climb I had this descent to enjoy!

1725819285762.jpeg

Just after taking this photo around 10 motorcycles shot down the hill in front of me, I used to use this road a lot on my motorbikes and knew how much fun it was and I can guarantee the riders were loving it as much as I did! The road snakes its way down into the valley before rising up for a bit and then its another downhill into Carnwath, its just incredible! At Carnwath I turned south towards Libberton and almost instantly had this awesome descent!

1725821726663.jpeg

I stopped at Libberton for these photos!

1725821781069.jpeg

1725821795006.jpeg

1725821808169.jpeg

Then I took the road to Thankerton, another cracker!

1725821875074.jpeg

This is the first time I have used this road in this direction, its almost downhill all the way to Thankerton! I climbed it in the opposite direction earlier this year so I knew what was coming and I was buzzing! :D Tinto Hill was shrouded in cloud at this point!

1725822238697.jpeg

At the bottom of the descent I stopped next to the River Clyde close to Thankerton for some photos!

1725822318413.jpeg

1725822339824.jpeg

Just as I approached the village I spotted this gorgeous white Shetland pony grazing!

1725822388515.jpeg

Then its friend appeared...;)

1725822429289.jpeg

A short time later I got a closer view of Tinto Hill and the cloud had mostly lifted!

1725822514635.jpeg

1725822543559.jpeg

I then joined the main A73 towards Hyndford Bridge, I missed a turn that would have taken me away from the main road but as it was a Sunday I decided to continue and I was rewarded a short time later!

1725822686126.jpeg

This is also such a great road when its not full of big trucks like today!

1725822738557.jpeg

1725822752855.jpeg

I was nearing Hyndford when I stopped for this photo, the hill in the background is the road I should have taken when I missed my turn! It would have been a fun descent but the main road made up for it with light traffic!

1725822824705.jpeg

I reached Hyndford and started the big climb up towards Lanark but I turned off near the top to take the road to Carstairs Village to avoid the very busy town! This is another great road and has a nice view of Tinto Hill also!

1725823171273.jpeg

1725823192442.jpeg

I passed through Carstairs and joined the main A70 for a short time before taking the back road towards Yieldshields, this road passes the farm which breeds Alpacas and they were enjoying the afternoon sun that had now emerged!

1725823480989.jpeg

1725823500866.jpeg

1725823518632.jpeg

Its a big climb from here but at the top I had another awesome descent to enjoy, 41.4mph down this one! I now had lots of climbing ahead up to Yieldshields but its followed by many cracking descents down into Morningside! I then turned for Allanton and the climbing was about to start in earnest, culminating in the hardest climb of the day up towards Kirk of Shotts! Near the top I turned on to my favourite local back to Hareshaw, time for more descending and the wind had actually picked up now and gave me a cracking tailwind for more than 2 miles down the descent!:D From Hareshaw I headed out to Newhouse and down another awesome descent into Chapelhall where 68 miles appeared on my gps and it was only a mile from home, I did a little circuit at home to bring up the 70 miles!

I can honestly say that was my best ride ever, just incredible from start to finish! 100 miles less than my longest ever ride but probably twice as good as that one!😁 I will be on cloud 9 for a while after this one, the weather is going downhill with very strong winds coming so I'm so glad I was able to get out today!

Attachments

• elevation_profile342.jpg
    elevation_profile342.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 25
  • trip-219568670-map-full342.png
    trip-219568670-map-full342.png
    480.1 KB · Views: 20
Not a hell of a lot of winding country roads out that way, Art? You certainly seem to find some balance with the forays over towards Banff and that region!
You’re definitely right about the lack of twisty roads here, Dave. Being stuck in the middle of the prairies we certainly aren’t going to experience anything with switchbacks or hair-raising turns. Dream rides such as the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia would be on my bucket list for sure. I had the pleasure of driving on it a number of years ago and can only imagine what it would be like on two wheels.

IMG_1091.JPG

The Banff ride that we've planned has been one of our favorites to date. The climb up Mt Norquay is a beast but the initial investment certainly pays dividends on the way down.

IMG_20220602_1152595.jpg

GS010154 (Tight Hairpin).jpg

Alas, today’s ride is more typical of what it’s like around here. But it’s home and I love it for all it’s worth. 🥰

GH013531 - frame at 0m18s.jpg

GH013532 - frame at 0m10s.jpg

GH013533 - frame at 0m6s.jpg

Last edited:
Back home, up North.
Went for a ride on the beach, 30C degrees, which is equivalent to spontaneous combustion in Britain.
Pretty brave leaving an ebike locked up here, I've brought my hacksaw!
THIR2.jpg

Bought a nice toasted bread thing from a posh shop, 7 quid, better be good.
So ludicrously, skin scalding hot I had to tuck myself in the shade
THIR1.jpg

New coffee van, too freaking hot for coffee!
THIR3.jpg

Cruised up, but the effort finished me, rode straight back to the van, bought an ice cream and went home.
THIR5.jpg

30C here too - went for a quick ride up on my local wilderness park and visited the yearly weed control herd.
Not riding too often these days as having hip issues - but things are working a bit better after a series of injections - but keeping all rides on the simple side.
No e-bike = no riding at all.

20240908_112745.jpg

The ranch has been keeping us more than busy but with extended family visiting we managed a 41km ride covering over 500 metres climbing up through rocky single and double track. Our destination was Norman Lake on the edge of the Bobtail mountains - pretty much the geographical centre of our most west province of British Columbia. The day concluded with some more blueberry picking with an excellent crop of berries through the Nechako region. We freeze many pints
image.jpg
20240908_155707.jpg
20240908_164104.jpg
of berries to help that morrning bowl of oatmeal through the winter months.

Paying A Visit To An Old Friend In Grójec

As soon as I returned from my Saturday's metric century ride, an old friend 'Vest' wrote I was relatively close to where he lived now, and could have paid him a visit. As the wind was strongly blowing from SE on Sunday, I decided to pay Vest a visit but took my Roadrunner (Vado 6.0) for more assistance. I decided riding upwind and uphill at 60/60% of full power assistance, which was a lot. The day temperature approached 34 C, the last hot Sunday this year as the weather forecast promised.

Riding towards Grójec was a little bit of a struggle, and it was a bit boring (I rode bike paths, a part of former national road DK7, service roads...) As I met Vest, I even didn't think of taking any photos.

The return (longer) ride was easier and a way faster (downwind, downhill, nicer views) but it became hot, and my legs were tired!

1725874320259.png

There was some greenery protecting from the direct sunshine. Here: Little Works just after Big Works :D

1725874387683.png

This kind of sign makes us laugh. Depending on the interpretation, it might mean 'Slow down! Horses!' or 'Set the horses free!' or even "Hold your horses!' :D

1725874532355.png

There is quite interesting phenomenon in our traffic system. Former national roads (that used to be traffic arteries) have been replaced by new Expressways. Here, I could safely pedal several kilometres down the former National Road #7 (a.k.a. Cracow Avenue) so minimal the traffic was! (The #7 has been replaced by the S7). We lived with @Brix at this motel when we first met :)

I was to swap the e-bike battery at 75th kilometre, so stopped at a service station. I was approached by two women with their kids, all on bicycles. 'Do you happen to have a bike pump with you? We tried to use the compressor but it turned out to be too weak for my bicycle!' said one of the ladies. Well, of course I had a pump but had to convert its nozzle from Presta to Schrader, which took me a while! 'Don't you ever use your pump, sir?' -- asked one of them -- 'I inflate my wheels with a big pump at home, and experience no flats on my trips... Give me a moment!' Then they could not believe their eyes! Topeak Twin Turbo (MTB) pump produces a big volume of air at each stroke, and it is totally effortless! The pump also has a manometer. In a very short time, I could inflate both tyres on the problematic bike, and the ladies and their kids had the day saved! :) (I also showed them how to read the inflation pressure from the tyre sidewall).

1725875231602.png

To complete the ride, I gave my Roadrunner a wash on the newly discovered car-wash. I was disappointed as the rim-cleaner fluid was out in the machine, so my e-bike was not as clean as I could expect it! (Good enough, though).
1725875447979.png

Of course, I had to make some kilometres up for a Metric Century. Now, let us compare it. It took me 4 h 51 min to make 100 km on my Vado SL but it was 40 minutes faster on a Vado 6.0! With my legs tired!

Last edited:
I rode 24 miles on the roads near our house today. I rode down a stretch of gravel to take a look at this church. Small church is good shape. It almost looks like someone’s house but I think it’s still a church. It seems to be a common thing to mount the old church bell for display.
IMG_3636.jpeg
IMG_3638.jpeg
IMG_3637.jpeg

Over the past few days, the ambient temperature has dropped significantly but it’s the winds that have ramped up. We still manage to get out for daily rides and find the blustery days have proven to be a great training tool. Today southerlies were gusting up to 30 kph but yesterday was even windier with northerly gusts blowing over 50 kph.

Carefree creatures. These horses didn’t seem bothered at all by the wind and seemed quite content grazing away. Nice to know that life moves at a slower pace in some respects.

PXL_20240909_174142275.jpg

Some News

I'm flying to Berlin for a day business meeting today. I hope to take several pictures, then it will be a busy afternoon!

Now, we know all the details of the Great Lakes Gravel race. The weather is forecast as splendid for September 21st. It is unpaved/paved 80/20%, 86 km with over 400 m of climbs and the maximum grade of 4%. Five contestants for e-Sprint (four male and a female). The latest rules are very simple: 'A production e-bike (not a DIY), factory limited to 25 km/h'. It will be my Vado SL for the race.

As a lucky winner ;) of this year's Sudovia Gravel, I do not pay for the participation. My brother Jacek who is a paying contestant for the 100 mile Classic race is very concerned. He tells me we shall do a reconnaissance ride of 2 x 25 km on the day before to assess the conditions and set the proper tyre pressure (I will determine the necessary assistance and the battery range on that ride, too).

1726100820356.png

The fun part of the race: several kilometres on cobblestones.

As I do not expect much sand en route (hopefully), I decided to use the Redshift ShockStop seat-post for the race instead of the dropper. Just for the ride comfort on the cobblestone! :) I estimate the necessary assistance to SL 80/80%, which I successfully used on numerous gravel group rides. Range Extenders will be necessary!

I'm curious what my competitors would be! Myself, I do not expect taking the podium but know one thing: It is the consistent pedalling and minimum stops that keeps you in the race. There will be a lot of adrenalin!

1726101822593.png

Excited!

Back