2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Korboloza 1, 2024

Sunday morning started with a 11.5 km breakfast ride, during which I discovered I had left my backpack at home... :) I rode a train and then metro in Warsaw together with Rafał K, who helped me a lot with route planning and promoting the tour. Eventually, we met a fine group of riders by META bar (in Polish, it meant we started our ride from the finish line!) :) The group included, i.a., three Ukrainian men (who could speak English but all were learning Polish), and a senior man who rode a vintage road bike!

1719253958629.png

28 km into the ride, my route plan lead the group into total off-road in the wood! My mates turned back, heavily looked at me and someone asked: 'Who did actually plan the trip?...' :D As my buddies emerged from the scrub, Paweł said 'Let's wait for Stefan! He has to carry his really heavy anvil!" :D

1719254337379.png

In Łoś (Elk). Some local person funded the statue of a moose there! :)
Our group, lineup 1 :) L to R: Dmytro, Jacek (my brother), Artyom, Krzysiek (the vintage bike man), Paul, Paweł (videographer), Sasha, and Rafał K (co-organizer).

1719254508280.png

The grocery store had two totally local vodkas: Klępa (Elk Cow) and Łoś (Elk Bull). You cannot buy any of those vodkas elsewhere, only in Łoś!

1719254839655.png

With Paweł in a sweet cherry orchard south of Tarczyn. I tasted some cherries and trust me: nothing tastes as good as a freshly picked fruit!

1719255268978.png

Top: I mistakenly lead Paweł into the sands, which were not in the ride plan!
Bottom: Sasha on a trail along railroad.

1719255421158.png

Me crossing a shallow ford at the full speed! :D

1719255504888.png

The Group Lineup 1 ready to continue the ride! (Sasha not present here). Interestingly, the Vintage Man must have later decided to leave the group, not telling anyone!

1719257345077.png

My route plan also included many kilometres of gorgeous
non-technical singletracks! The guys were delighted!

1719255818972.png

'Crankset Dogs' (Quentin Tarantino) at the "At The Girls" restaurant & cafe in Rozalin. The white-haired (not gray!) man is my mate who has the ability to meet me in the weirdest places on my rides! :) Incidentally, met
again!

1719256006359.png

Hipster Cold Soup :) I actually ate as many as two portions!

1719256062881.png

The Vintage Man was replaced by Rafał Sz. (wearing red and black). Rafał had been waiting for us at the cafe for an hour and a half!
'So, Paul, the white-haired man spotted you wearing an Italian-coloured cap and asked if you were Italian'
'Oh. I bought that cap during the previous football championship to support Italy against England...'
(Everyone startled!)
'...Because I am Welsh' :D

1719256429769.png

'Replacing the battery, and then we go go go! The kilometres won't
make themselves!' :)

A Crash
As we rode, I decided to sprint forward to take a video of the group riding. I went full Turbo. As I was cornering from asphalt into loose gravel, I crashed! 'Could anyone help with giving me a hand?' I demanded. I only suffered from a little of road rash. The Ukrainian Sasha handed a little bottle to me, and that was the first and the only time I could hear him speaking: 'An antiseptic' :) (Yes, I shot the video several minutes later!)

1719256771366.png

After 70% of the total distance ridden, the group split into Racers and Recreational Riders. Our group consisted of four guys. Trust me, the last 10 kilometres were the hardest!

1719256884440.png

Delicious and nourishing Gorgonzola Countryside Pizza at the META Finish Line bar! That meal was good for the next 38 kilometres! (In case you ask, the beer was alcohol free).

'How do you return home?' -- Jacek demanded -- 'Because I go home On The Wheels'. 'Well... After having that pizza, I feel I could go home On The Wheels, too!' - I replied. Fancy that! Both Jacek and I had exactly 32 km home, only he rode northward, and I needed to go westwards!

1719257223166.png

So I rode for 161.9 km (over 100 mi) on Sunday :) Of which 110 km was the gravel group ride!

Video by Pawel Jonca (videographer).

Last edited:
Korboloza 1, 2024

Sunday morning started with a 11.5 km breakfast ride, during which I discovered I had left my backpack at home... :) I rode a train and then metro in Warsaw together with Rafał K, who was in fact the second group ride organizer who helped me a lot with route planning and promoting the tour. Eventually, we met a fine group of riders by META bar (in Polish, it meant we started our ride from the finish line!) :) The group included, i.a., three Ukrainian men (who could speak English but all were learning Polish), and a senior man who rode a vintage road bike!

View attachment 178007
28 km into the ride, my route plan lead the group into total off-road in the wood! My mates turned back, heavily looked at me and someone asked: 'Who did actually plan the trip?...' :D As my buddies emerged from the scrub, Paweł said 'Let's wait for Stefan! He has to carry his really heavy anvil!" :D

View attachment 178011
Our group, lineup 1 :) L to R: Dmytro, Jacek (my brother), Artyom, Krzysiek (the vintage bike man), Paul, Paweł (videographer), Sasha, and Rafał K (co-organizer).

View attachment 178012
The grocery store had two totally local vodkas: Klępa (Elk Cow) and Łoś (Elk Bull). You cannot buy any of those vodkas elsewhere, only in Łoś!

View attachment 178016
With Paweł in a sweet cherry orchard south of Tarczyn. I tasted some cherries and trust me: nothing tastes as good as a freshly picked fruit!

View attachment 178017

View attachment 178018

View attachment 178019
The Group Lineup 1 ready to continue the ride! (Sasha not present here). Interestingly, the Vintage Man must have later decided to leave the group, not telling anyone!

View attachment 178027

View attachment 178020
'Crankset Dogs' (Quentin Tarantino) at the "At The Girls" restaurant & cafe in Rozalin. The white-haired (not gray!) man is my mate who has the ability to meet me in the weirdest places on my rides! :) Incidentally, met
again!

View attachment 178021

View attachment 178022

The Vintage Man was replaced by Rafał Sz. (wearing red and black). Rafał had been waiting for us at the cafe for an hour and a half!
'So, Paul, the white-haired men spotted you wearing an Italian-coloured cap and asked if you were Italian'
'Oh. I bought that cap during the previous football championship to support Italy against England...'
(Everyone startled!)

View attachment 178023

A Crash
As we rode, I decided to sprint forward to take a video of the group riding. I went full Turbo. As I was cornering from asphalt into loose gravel, I crashed! 'Could anyone help me with giving me a hand?' I demanded. I only suffered from a little of road rash. The Ukrainian Sasha handed a little bottle to me, and that was the first and the only time I could hear him speaking: 'An antiseptic' :) (Yes, I shot the video several minutes later!)

View attachment 178024
After 70% of the total distance ridden, the group split into Racers and Recreational Riders. Our group consisted of four guys. Trust me, the last 10 kilometres were the hardest!

View attachment 178025
Delicious and nourishing Gorgonzola Countryside Pizza at the META Finish Line bar! That meal was good for the next 38 kilometres! (In case you ask, the beer was alcohol free).

'How do you return home?' -- Jacek demanded -- 'Because I go home On The Wheels'. 'Well... After having that pizza, I feel I could go home On The Wheels, too!' - I replied. Fancy that! Both Jacek and I had exactly 32 km home, only he rode northward, and I needed to go westwards!

View attachment 178026
So I rode for 161.9 km (over 100 mi) on Sunday :) Of which 110 km was the gravel group ride!
Amazing effort, Stefan! 👍

Korboloza 1, 2024

Sunday morning started with a 11.5 km breakfast ride, during which I discovered I had left my backpack at home... :) I rode a train and then metro in Warsaw together with Rafał K, who helped me a lot with route planning and promoting the tour. Eventually, we met a fine group of riders by META bar (in Polish, it meant we started our ride from the finish line!) :) The group included, i.a., three Ukrainian men (who could speak English but all were learning Polish), and a senior man who rode a vintage road bike!

View attachment 178007

View attachment 178011

View attachment 178012

View attachment 178016

View attachment 178017

View attachment 178018

View attachment 178019

View attachment 178027

View attachment 178020
again!

View attachment 178021

View attachment 178022

'So, Paul, the white-haired men spotted you wearing an Italian-coloured cap and asked if you were Italian'
(Everyone startled!)

View attachment 178023

A Crash
As we rode, I decided to sprint forward to take a video of the group riding. I went full Turbo. As I was cornering from asphalt into loose gravel, I crashed! 'Could anyone help with giving me a hand?' I demanded. I only suffered from a little of road rash. The Ukrainian Sasha handed a little bottle to me, and that was the first and the only time I could hear him speaking: 'An antiseptic' :) (Yes, I shot the video several minutes later!)

View attachment 178024

View attachment 178025

View attachment 178026

Video by Pawel Jonca (videographer).
@Stefan Mikes - Beside that fall, it looked like a great outing. I’m sure that pizza and beer at the finish line helped. If it’s any consolation, I took a spill during my DH ride at Canmore at over 20 kph. Thankfully no damage to either myself or the bike. Just a bruised ego. 😅

GX010116 - frame at 1m46s.jpg

View attachment 177976

Back on my 15 year old Giant Hybrid for the first time in 3 years!

With my e bike awaiting a new display it was time to dig out my trusty old Giant CRS 1.0 which I purchased back in 2009 and it has served me so well, it even survived a head on collision with a kids mountain bike a few yards from home after cycling 120 miles... 😂 @keithj69 @Jeremy McCreary You guys were way out with your guesses, maybe I should have mentioned I haven't ridden the bike since April 2021!;) It was never going to be more than 50 miles with a temp of 22C and a SW wind around 20mph in the afternoon, my hands and knees were hurting also due to the totally different riding position!

I probably should have headed out early morning when the winds were much calmer and it was only 14C or thereabouts! I had things to do though and had to wait until 11am, the winds were pretty light at first but I knew they would increase as the day went on! Normally when I was riding my standard road bikes I would head into the wind to have the wind at my back on the way home, but that wasn't really an option today so I opted to enjoy the wind at my back in the hope the return journey into the wind would help cool me down! I forgot to factor in the climbs though...😂

Speaking of which I was riding through Dechmont and was going to continue to Uphall and turn north and take the road towards Threemiletown but the old fool in me decided to tackle Burnhouse road which is even tough on my e bike! I really surprised myself by making it up without having to walk any parts, it really is a beast of a climb!

Anyway back to the start, the first 8 miles were climb after climb up the back roads to Salsburgh and then the big climb from Salsburgh to Harthill, it didn't take long to get warmed up so to speak!;) I then enjoyed the descent down towards Harthill where I ran out of gears but managed 35.4mph, my hybrid is a 9 speed triple with a Shimano Deore groupset consisting of 48/36/26T chainrings and a 12-28 cassette so you quickly run out of gears on big descents!

At the bottom of the descent I decided to take the back road to Armadale, which starts with this climb!

View attachment 177977
I stopped at the bottom for a snack and a short break after all the climbing, taking a photo of my trusty steed!

View attachment 177978
I then headed up the climb and was glad to get to the summit and enjoyed the flat road for a bit before this lovely descent!

View attachment 177979
I was nearing Armadale and spotted a cycle path just before the big climb and decided to check it out, it actually took me out at the far side of Armadale where I joined the new cycle path down to Whitburn! I will be using that path again for sure! At Whitburn I headed NE and used the excellent cycle path to Dechmont, where I stopped for lunch before taking on the Burnhouse road climb! Thankfully the climb is broken up into 3 parts with a couple of short descents where I could get my breath back and I sure needed it!😂

This is the last part of the climb and I sure enjoyed that descent before the road ramps up!

View attachment 177980
This is at the summit looking back down, the other parts of the road are well hidden due to the undulations!

View attachment 177981
Part way up I stopped for this photo with a handy kerb to rest my pedal on!

View attachment 177982
This is looking east at the summit!

View attachment 177983
Now I had this awesome descent to enjoy and get my breath back!

View attachment 177984
The fun is short lived as the road ramps up again before the scary descent at the end, the road just drops away like a cliff edge! This is after going down the descent and is looking back up the hill I came down, no way could I climb that part on my hybrid without pushing so I was glad I was descending it today...

View attachment 177986
I grabbed some photos here before tackling the climb up towards Beecraigs Country Park!

View attachment 177987
View attachment 177988
The climb is gradual to begin with but I was heading in to a strong headwind now and made the decision not to do the climb up past the park which would have been brutal today, opting for the back road into Linlithgow instead! It starts with this nice descent before ramping up for a bit, I grabbed a few photos here before heading down the descent!

View attachment 177989
View attachment 177990
View attachment 177991
View attachment 177992
View attachment 177993
After the climbs the road finally descends steeply down past the Linlithgow Canal Centre, time for more photos!

View attachment 177994
View attachment 177995
View attachment 177996
I then continued down the remainder of the descent and arrived in the town centre where I stopped at a shop for an energy drink and a can of coke to give me a boost! I really wanted a bottle of coke but they were sold out, I downed the energy drink and kept the can of coke for later! I made my through the town and luckily it wasn't too busy for a change, stopping at the bridge with the viaduct in view!

View attachment 177997
I then took the back road to Standburn and knew I was in for some punishing climbs, thankfully some nice descents also! After the last of the climbs I had this lovely descent to enjoy towards Avonbridge, I downed my can of coke here to boost my energy for the climbs ahead!

View attachment 177998
After this descent there is another 2 steep descents and I sure enjoyed the break from all the climbing but I knew there were many tough climbs ahead and they would all be into the headwind! From Avonbridge I headed SW for Limerigg and battled my way up all of the climbs before reaching the Black Loch where I stopped for photos!

View attachment 177999There were some dark clouds hanging around and I could feel rain in the air, I was actually hoping for a downpour now to refresh me but it didn't happen!😂 I did get some short showers which helped a little...

I was just about to pull away from the loch when I spotted a duck with 6 ducklings in tow! ☺️

View attachment 178005
I then reached Limerigg and was heading for Caldercruix and decided to turn south towards Forestfield to join the cycle path which runs alongside the railway line and Hillend Loch! Its a really nice road with some lovely descents to enjoy!

View attachment 178006
I turned on to the cycle path and spotted a walker in the distance with 2 very large dogs in tow, I was just about to ding my bell when he looked round and saw me approaching and moved the dogs on to the grass! They were really beautiful dogs, I'm sure they were Newfoundlands and they must have been melting in the 22C heat with those big fur coats!

I then reached Hillend Loch, time for more photos!

View attachment 178008
1719254089705-jpeg.178009

View attachment 178010
That was the last of my photos, I continued along the cyle path all the way to Plains with 48 miles in the bag and I knew I had 2 miles to go so it worked out perfectly for my 50 miler! It was a tough ride but still very enjoyable, my old hybrid still has plenty life left and hopefully I do also...😂 I look forward to getting my e bike back up and running though, the hybrid is fun to ride but doesn't come close to the fun factor my 6 year old Giant brings!
This just confirms our suspicions Rab that you are non human !

I can't understand why you people never ride in the drops upwind :)
What makes you think that we were riding upwind? Gusts were out of southwest at the time and we were headed north on the way home so it was nice to have it blowing mainly in our favor. We rode probably less than 8 km in the drops. BTW, drop bars are versatile allowing one to change hand positions from tops, to hoods, to drops.

Dragged to Rivington by the missus, I'm only the silly bike and straight away I was shown its limitations
by some guy riding up these steps on an emtb like he was riding to the shops.

QIK1.jpg

Got my own back on the smoother trails, the wife delights on pointing out to everyone I'm on
an electric bike.

QIK2.jpg

I love this shot because it really shows how steep these inclines are, that's pretty well the climbing limit for the motor under its own power

QIK3.jpg

This cafe is being staffed by 14 year old girls, including taking payments using debit cards, I'm pretty sure that's against some law, but it also
reveals how safe it is around here, we found them later walking home over the moorland, a good three mile walk.
Its quite the cultural conflict, the towns around here are very large Pakistani immigrant centres with high grooming and exploitation convictions and you have teen girls
walking alone wearing very revealing outfits, I would class them as inappropriate and I'm no Victorian dad.
Clash of civilisations level stuff.

QIK4.jpg

So you know how silly I look on the bike, my hair is now going curly!
Time for a haircut.

QIK7.jpg

A cacophony of signs on the road to the Tower, the British approach is... more then 5 and we ignore the lot.
Obeying signs that don't have instant consequence is very much a German thing 😂
There is a no cycling one there of course

QIK8.jpg

This guy was fiddling with his pump. I stopped to help him five minutes later on my way back, he stated he was just putting a bit of air in but it was clear he couldn't use the pump and was too stubborn to admit it, so I did the decent thing and left without referencing his incompetence.

QIK9.jpg

I had assumed access up the Tower was internal but it seems they hoist you up in a little cage.
That's a huge nope from me.

QIK11.jpg

This is one of those 'where will this path lead me' shots.
I suggest imagining Freebird as you look at it.

QIK12.jpg

This dad brought is four year old son up here on quite a quick little tiny electric pit bike, I ended up racing him and it wasn't much slower than the BMX.
Gloriously bad parenting and I wasn't helping, but the sheer joy on his face made up for it.

QIK13.jpg

He was challenging me to a stair climb, maturity finally took over and I accepted defeat, he was very skilled and no doubt a future motorcross star.

QIK14.jpg

One of the pleasure of riding this silly bike is the reactions from the public and other riders.
You know they went home and told the wife.

QIK15.jpg

Back